Looking for folding bike under £800, considering Kudos Secret

Deerhound

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 14, 2016
I'm looking for a folding bike for occasional rides to work (6 miles, a few hills, one big hill) when the weather's nice and for a bit of leisure riding a bit further than the local area. The only trouble is, what with the space in my flat and my not wanting to leave the bike in a public space whilst I'm at work, I would like folding bike and I'm not sure how comfortable it would be or how good they are. I also have only about £700-£800 to spend and I know that's the low end of the market for an electric bike but I really can't spend more so it's either that or nothing (I shouldn't really even be spending that but the weather's getting nice and I'm fed up with not cycling).

I've been looking at many over the last week or so and I particularly like the Kudos Secret because of its hidden battery, higher seat (so many others look far too low), integrated lights (the bike has a battery - why do so many not run their lights off it?), and 'light' (compared with others) weight.

My main concerns are:
  • I can't easily get to anywhere to try it out so I don't know whether I will like it (or indeed like a folding bike at all, particularly one with a cadence sensor, which all the cheaper bikes, especially the folding ones, seem to have).
  • With the battery fitting in the frame, how easy will it be in the future to buy a replacement that will fit?
I'd love to hear from anyone who has or has had experience of riding this bike. Please give your honest reviews of what it's like to ride - comfort, quality, how it handles in terms of the electric assistance (jerky, smooth, etc.), ease of finding parts, etc.

Thanks!

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
integrated lights (the bike has a battery - why do so many not run their lights off it?), and 'light' (compared with others) weight.
Thanks!
if you want to run your lights from the battery, you will have to run wires from the controller to the lights. At places, the wires are exposed and can get easily snagged. In some cases, damaged wires can damage your LCD or controller.
That's why most lights have AAA batteries.

weight: there is not much difference in weight between an e-folder and a full size ebikes. The basic bike weighs about 10-11kgs, 12-13kgs if it has a suspension fork. Mudguards and rack add another 1.5kgs. The electrics add about 6-7kgs.
You can pay a lot more to have 1kg less.

If space is a premium, you should look for a clever folder like a Brompton.
If lightweight is important, then this one should be good:

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?karoo

Deerhound

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 14, 2016
Thanks for your reply. An electric Brompton seems out of my price range plus the wheels might be a bit too small. The Karoo does not fold. I mentioned the weight with regards to ease of carrying once folded, but thanks.

Talking of Woosh, one of the first bikes I looked at was the Woosh Gallego - a nice-looking bike and not only is it quite light, it has little wheels to roll it on when folded. I also liked that it has only three gears. I hate fiddling round with lots of gears with small increments. The no-no for me was the front-wheel drive, which I know I won't like.

I also seriously considered the Gale but then decided I wanted a concealed battery so that if I do need to lock it up anywhere it doesn't look obviously electric and therefore more valuable.

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
Deerhound selling my wife's Juicybike folder. Very little mileage.
In excellent condition. May be just what you need. Have a look in classifieds on site.

Regards gray

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
Deerhound you are more than welcome to come and have a try. Live in Derbyshire near Matlock so about an hour from Birmingham up A38
Regards

Reactions: Deerhound

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Deerhound...the Secret is a bike I know well because I ride it a lot myself...if you search back in the forum I did an article of using 2 secrets with my son,climbing mountains in Greece.
The latest secrets have a larger chainring to lower the cadence at speed.
It is still our top selling bike.
The Secret is cheap to send out and return,so.....
If you want to try one,we deliver FOC,if you want to return in as new condition (no bunny hopping in the forest) we will charge £10 to collect.
Hope that helps.
KudosDave