Looking to get an affordable bike with throttle

alexojm

Just Joined
Aug 19, 2016
Buckinghamshire
I am looking at potentially buying a bike within the next 2-4 weeks as I will be starting a new job. The job is 2.2 miles from my house so lets say about 4.5 miles per work day or at worst on an off day where I go to Tescos on the way home 5 miles. I am 5ft 4 and as skinny as a twig so weight is not an issue. Because of going shopping I am looking for a bike that I can attach something onto the back of to carry some shopping. I should also mention that the area I live in is mostly flat pavements and roads. There is one small bridge on the way to work.

I decided to start looking into getting an electric bike as walking to work takes longer and I cannot really carry any shopping home. I don't want to get a car for the next 2-3 years as it is still very expensive for a 21 year old such as myself plus the effort of getting a licence.

Now I am a rather lazy person and part of the reason for getting an electric bike is the thought that if I am feeling tired i'm not always going to want to peddle and would love to have a throttle that can get me home at near or around the speed of 15.5mph that the British law dictates. Cycle assist whilst pedaling is great but the added benefit of a full throttle really peaks my interest.

I have been reading a bit surrounding laws regarding electric bikes and am aware that the newer bikes only tend to have a throttle that goes at a meager walking pace. I do hear though that you can still buy electric bikes with throttles that give the full 15mph speeds without pedaling because of grandfathering them in the law or something along those lines. I will say now that currently although I used to have a traditional bike I no longer do so meaning that a conversion kit is probably out of the question.

I looked a little online and saw that this fold up bike the Kudos Secret does have a full 15mph throttle providing you get it going pedaling then allowing you to just throttle. I am not looking specifically for a fold up it is just the first one I noticed: http://www.e-bikesdirect.co.uk/Item/Brands/Kudos_Electric_Bikes/Kudos_Secret_Folding_Electric_Bike.aspx

Other than this though I have not looked into anything else. I was hoping not to spend too much money and have seen varying opinions regarding buying bikes under a grand because of quality issues but my ride to work isn't really challenging or long. If anyone here on this forum has any suggestions and links for what they think I should buy I would be really happy. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
cant ride round on that at 21 fkn granny bike pmsl. tho if you can have a go on some a throttle is not needed. as you just need to make the peddles go round.

its worth spending a bit more and getting a mid drive bike with a bafang bosch Yamaha or brose motor bike.

http://www.brightonebikes.co.uk/

or cube would be the other option with a bosch motor but cost more.

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/336686/products/2016-cube-cross-hybrid-pro-400-electric-hybrid-bike.aspx?origin=pla_with_promotion&kwd=&currency=GBP&gclid=CjwKEAjw3Nq9BRCw8OD6s4eI5HASJABsfCIa5pEm5iOd9I8OQBS5iq3K2MMExaxEwJoG6i_jpSuXpRoCD_bw_wcB

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
active motor on the cube is 50nm performance is 60 and the new cx is 75.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing and McCol
D

Deleted member 4366

One important consideration. Have you got somewhere safe to keep the bike while you're at work?

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
2.1 miles on the flat,. Trust me you won't feel tired at all if you use max power setting. In fact you'll wish the journey was a bit longer.

hoppy

May 25, 2010
I am looking at potentially buying a bike within the next 2-4 weeks as I will be starting a new job. The job is 2.2 miles from my house so lets say about 4.5 miles per work day or at worst on an off day where I go to Tescos on the way home 5 miles. I am 5ft 4 and as skinny as a twig so weight is not an issue. Because of going shopping I am looking for a bike that I can attach something onto the back of to carry some shopping. I should also mention that the area I live in is mostly flat pavements and roads. There is one small bridge on the way to work.

I decided to start looking into getting an electric bike as walking to work takes longer and I cannot really carry any shopping home. I don't want to get a car for the next 2-3 years as it is still very expensive for a 21 year old such as myself plus the effort of getting a licence.

Now I am a rather lazy person and part of the reason for getting an electric bike is the thought that if I am feeling tired i'm not always going to want to peddle and would love to have a throttle that can get me home at near or around the speed of 15.5mph that the British law dictates. Cycle assist whilst pedaling is great but the added benefit of a full throttle really peaks my interest.

I have been reading a bit surrounding laws regarding electric bikes and am aware that the newer bikes only tend to have a throttle that goes at a meager walking pace. I do hear though that you can still buy electric bikes with throttles that give the full 15mph speeds without pedaling because of grandfathering them in the law or something along those lines. I will say now that currently although I used to have a traditional bike I no longer do so meaning that a conversion kit is probably out of the question.

I looked a little online and saw that this fold up bike the Kudos Secret does have a full 15mph throttle providing you get it going pedaling then allowing you to just throttle. I am not looking specifically for a fold up it is just the first one I noticed: http://www.e-bikesdirect.co.uk/Item/Brands/Kudos_Electric_Bikes/Kudos_Secret_Folding_Electric_Bike.aspx

Other than this though I have not looked into anything else. I was hoping not to spend too much money and have seen varying opinions regarding buying bikes under a grand because of quality issues but my ride to work isn't really challenging or long. If anyone here on this forum has any suggestions and links for what they think I should buy I would be really happy. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

I'd go for a Wisper. Under £1k at the moment. Throttle works if you just twiddle the pedals and probably can be reset by dealer to fully pedal-free use. Excellent backup by company and boss who posts on here.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Just posted this to another thread, it may suit you.

Just a thought but we do have a few 906Classics in stock, we really do need to sell them off. We would be pleased to accept £960 plus £30 delivery. The bikes are brand new, with new 16Ah batteries they used to retail at £1699. We would give a 6 month warranty, we have three I think. I seriously good bike and great bargain!

905 side WH.jpg

alexojm

Just Joined
Aug 19, 2016
Buckinghamshire
One important consideration. Have you got somewhere safe to keep the bike while you're at work?
There is a safe place to keep the bike at my place of work. With bikes this expensive it was one of the first thoughts to cross my mind.

Just posted this to another thread, it may suit you.

Just a thought but we do have a few 906Classics in stock, we really do need to sell them off. We would be pleased to accept £960 plus £30 delivery. The bikes are brand new, with new 16Ah batteries they used to retail at £1699. We would give a 6 month warranty, we have three I think. I seriously good bike and great bargain!

View attachment 15048
The bike does look nice but I doubt I will be able to afford it before you sell them unless they have been sat in stock for awhile. Once I get my first paycheck in a couple of weeks I have other things to pay for so i'm not actually sure how much money I will have to spend on a bike in September but it would probably be £750-£800 at the absolute most. Buying anything more expensive will likely mean waiting until my second paycheck in October and i'm not certain how patient I will be in holding out on buying something I can afford before then. But yeah the bike does look good.

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
I don't mean to offend David but I don't see how this bike was ever worth £1700 and you don't need such a huge battery.
Most bikes, even some excellent bikes of David's at less than a thousand pounds, carry a 2 year warranty,
....so accept nothing less and try to buy close to home.

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
....another thought....consider the Wisper 705 SE at £999.
....and what about buying it on the cycle to work scheme, I understand this will save pots of money.

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Alex,almost any of my Kudos Bikes would do your job,the prices are close to your budget...I suppose it's really about what you fancy.
I sold a Kudos Sprint to a lady who was your size and use requirements last week,the Sprint is nice having the Samsung semi-concealed battery ,rear rack and front basket,it's an easy bike to ride....don't worry about the lack of throttle you soon get the hang without it.
I also sold a Kudos Verona to a small lady who fell in love with the coffee n cream colour scheme.
As you say you also like the idea of the Kudos Secret,it would also do your job,now fitted with a bigger chainring and larger hidden battery,available in black,white and now lime green.
Can I persuade you to take a trip to our warehouse near Whitstable,we have all the bikes ready for testing,we have a private concrete apron to test ride the bikes and when you have made your choice you can have a ride along the seafront to Herne Bay. There is no pressure selling,we also have some ex demo bikes (including Secrets)available at discount.
Please look on my website to check the specs on each bike.
KudosDave

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
I don't mean to offend David but I don't see how this bike was ever worth £1700 and you don't need such a huge battery.
Most bikes, even some excellent bikes of David's at less than a thousand pounds, carry a 2 year warranty,
....so accept nothing less and try to buy close to home.
Hi Mike, no offence taken!

The bike is now a little old fashioned as you say the battery case is much bigger than is now needed. I could get almost 1kW in there now!

The equipment on the bike is really excellent, Vita forks, Deore gears etc and of course the 575Wh battery.

The bike is not as good as the new Wisper Torques but for under £1000 it's still a great bike.

All the best, David

Last edited:

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Mind you at 21 years old short flat commute and being lazy, no mention of any medical condition. For your personal health walk it.

• Agree
Reactions: Crockers
Mind you at 21 years old short flat commute and being lazy, no mention of any medical condition. For your personal health walk it.
Electric skateboard?

Sent from here to there with computer wizardry.

• :D
Reactions: Crockers and trex