looking to purchase afirset pedelec, HELP PLEASE

somersetnewbie

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 15, 2011
Due to ongoing health probs have not exercised for 15yrs and tire v easily. Looking at idea of pedelec as a way starting gentle exercise and gradually build up to 8 miles trips (to pub with husband)on easy terrain.So not looking a fancy bike. Have had a test on a raleigh and been looking at used powacyle windsor online.attracted by style and price. I am concerned how long batteries last and replacement cost if buying 2nd hand. i would be doing limited mileage so is used a good option. If so, pitfalls what to look for or avoid?
We live in a rural area so limited to bike outlets.

Great site, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Welcome to the forum, whereabouts in Somerset are you ?
I am in Ilminster.
It wont be long till you are zooming along to the pub.......just be careful on
the way back :D
Will send you a p/m

Lynda

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi Welcome

I would stay away from second hand because off the cost off replacement battery's

and ongoing support

If it is in your budget the new range from Juicybike has been recommended by many forum members been around for a couple off years Good support

The Classic looks good £749

Very friendly speak to Bob

Or there is Kudos They are new on the bike market but so far no bad reports

some forum members have there bikes

Good range off bikes

The liberty looks good £895 hey where giving 10% discount to forum members I think it ran out but worth asking the Question £90 saving

If you pick a bike and post a new Thread on the model members with them will give you feed back

Frank

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Set a budget and then we can make some recommendations. Throttle is a good idea if your legs are not too good as suggested. Plan to replace batteries, Lithium types, every 2~3 years...unfortunately they deteriorate if used little or a lot. For peace of mind I would look at manufacturers that have been around for a few years so come battery replacement time you will have more chance of getting the correct drop in replacement. The cheap 'drop ship' bikes available on Ebay are tempting but offer little to no after sales support and almost guaranteed not to be around in 3 years time...

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
The latest issue of the Electric Bike Magazine has an article about decisions to be considered when buying an Electric Bike,written by Peter Eland,I thought it was a very good read for someone contemplating buying their first e-bike
Dave
Kudos Cyc;es

somersetnewbie

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 15, 2011
budget around £1000 any suggestions
Set a budget and then we can make some recommendations. Throttle is a good idea if your legs are not too good as suggested. Plan to replace batteries, Lithium types, every 2~3 years...unfortunately they deteriorate if used little or a lot. For peace of mind I would look at manufacturers that have been around for a few years so come battery replacement time you will have more chance of getting the correct drop in replacement. The cheap 'drop ship' bikes available on Ebay are tempting but offer little to no after sales support and almost guaranteed not to be around in 3 years time...

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
budget around £1000 any suggestions
The best advise I can give is ... TRY as many as you can. Find people close to you and try their bikes! .. Talk to other people who are thinking of doing the same (e.g. Tara is in a similar position to you and has a similar budget) ...

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
You will have plenty of choice in that price bracket, the best thing you can do is look up all electric bike shops near you, there are certainly good ones in the bristol area, and first of all go and try lots, then you will get a better idea of what suits you best.
Have fun :)

Lynda

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
E-Motion in Swindon are having a Grand Opening this week end, and you could try one of our Lovely bikes, as well as several other makes...

12xu22

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2011
Hi, I can recommend the Cheetah, see my review thread. Alternatively I have a Yamaha XPC26 that I am probably going to be selling, this is a nice bike, although not the lightest by any means, it is very nippy. PM me if you think you may be interested, probably let it go for around £300. Btw, don't expect the Cheetah to be light, it's not, although you won't find many bikes lighter, that's just the nature of the beast unfortunately.