Looking to Start Building and Selling Ebikes in My Area

WorldClassAccident

Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2016
20kw you be going 140mph ;)

And as long as you stick a sticker on the side saying 250W nominal it will be legal, right?

;-)

That is my understanding of the law and if it is incorrect then that is not my fault officer...

Simon Rafferty

Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2016
Horsham
Cathal, don't be too put off. Similar problems exist starting a business in most industries. Whether, in the end it's a success or a failure, you will learn a lot and over all it's good fun.

There is a lot of good info above if you read between what might come across as discouraging.

I started a business manufacturing & selling products (in a different sector) 15 years ago. Initially I thought price was all people looked at - but quickly found my margin had to be higher to be viable but that because I had established a very good reputation, I could sell high quality parts at a premium.

I attended every trade show to talk about, demonstrate & sell product. I sponsored a lot of people & teams with products to test / evaluate and provided ready-written copy for mags - which they are keen to publish (surprisingly!). I also sought niches that had not been exploited by bigger manufacturers and launched products to fill those gaps. It took 2 years to establish the business & break even (and I had a lot of luck!).

I think there are niches in this market - it's just a case of identifying & exploiting them before someone else does. One such is supplying bikes that FULLY meet the current legislation and at the same time are good / useful to ride. There are so many questionably legal ones out there that true peace of mind could be a good USP!

I wish you every success if you start your business - I have the greatest respect for people who try, whether they succeed or not.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the above is good advice.
About planning your sales margin: be extra careful, it's only too tempting to cut your margin to the bone for a quick start. The difference between staying in business on the second year or not is down to the correct margin, too high, you don't maximize your profit, too low, you run the risk of losing money then forced to close.

Reactions: Simon Rafferty

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
two more things I'd like to add: sourcing the right products is half the battle and always remember: if your product is really good, it will sell itself.

Reactions: Simon Rafferty