Looking to upgrade 2 Kalkhoff Agattu with 18Ah Batteries

shep

Pedelecer
May 3, 2011
I have been away from this forum for quite a few years. We bought 2 Kalkhoff Agattu in May 2011 and since then we have covered close to 10,000 miles without any real problems apart from routine maintenance.

The 18Ah Batteries are still original, and do not seem to have lost much capacity and still have plenty of punch.

We now do quite a lot of cycle touring so are looking at the options to upgrade. This is what we would like

1 The Range must be at least 50 to 60 miles and preferably on medium assist.
2 The bike must be very comfortable, and well made just like the Aggatu.
3 Fast charging of the batteries together with a small and easily carried battery charger

So any recommendations would really be appreciated, i have been out of the new electric bike scene for quite a while now, so need and would like to be brought up to speed !!! I notice that there are many more bikes available now than before, and the prices seem to have increased quite a bit as well.

Any advice gladly received !!!!

D

Deleted member 4366

There's so much choice these days that it's not easy to recommend bikes, but we now have all the complications of software upgrades and things like that, so, unless you want a simple bike, the choice comes down to what's available at your local dealer. There's maybe one brand with a type of motor that you need to be aware of, which seems to have a lot of reliability issues. if you search this forum for " reliability", you should find it pretty quickly.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Battery range seems to be your main question.

In that respect, things have not moved on since you bought your Kalkhoffs.

To get 50/60miles on medium assist in give and take conditions, you will need more than the 500wh batteries supplied with most bikes.

Bosch offer a twin battery system which works nicely, and would give you 1,000wh or about 27ah.

My Riese and Muller Charger has twin batteries, although I'm not aware of many other makers who offer the system.

For 2018, Bosch has introduced a 'power tube' battery, same capacity, but the shape allows better integration on the bike.

R&M will be offering twin battery - and single - power tube models.

https://www.r-m.de/en-gb/technology/dualbattery/

https://www.bosch-ebike.com/en/news-and-stories/news/2018/

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
haibike.jpg