Low power - Low weight - Low assist

jbond

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2010
Ware, Herts
www.voidstar.com
Discussion on the E-Bike forums all too often seems to be about bragging rights. Too much is never enough! The goal seems to be a moped with occasional pedaling. I'm curious about the opposite of a bicycle with just enough occasional or gentle assist. As always there's a disclaimer here that I don't care if it's a bit illegal!

I'm wondering what's the lightest possible way of getting 200-250w with a reasonable range. The kind of controller strategy I'd want is something like this.
Pedelec/cruise,
- Low. Full power to 10mph then nothing.
- Medium. Full power to 10mph then decreasing power with speed, bottoming out at 50w or so at 20mph but unlimited speed after that.
- High. Full power, unlimited speed.
Throttle only,
- Variable power, not variable max speed.

Using Low to get you slowly up medium to severe hills and to get off the line quickly, with pedal effort for everything else, it might be possible to cut the battery needs a lot and still get a reasonable range. 5Ahr might even be enough. I'd also want a really efficient freewheel and drive train so the bike was no harder to pedal than a conventional bike.

So then the question is how light can you get this whole setup. Is Motor+Battery+controller < 5Kg possible? How about 3Kg? Now we're talking about an assist hybrid or touring bicycle that is really no different to ride motor off than one without the assist but takes the pain out of the hills and gives you a little more speed and speed average. And/or a range of 50 miles or so.

Take the same thinking and put it in a faired, streamliner recumbent. Hill climbing speed wouldn't be much different, although a lot easier on the thighs than a plain 'bent but a sustained 30 mph on the flat should be easy.

So overall a focus on just enough performance and as light and efficient as possible. How much of this could be done now?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There's a BH emotion model that fits if you change the rear cassette cluster to give assist to 20 mph tops. It's Panasonic unit phases down the power applied with speed and is only 250 watts anyway. Ultra light, 16 kilos including battery. Use the link below, scroll down to the last model as shown below and click on it to see the full details and pics:

BH Emotion Sport De Luxe

' ELECTRIC TRANSPORT SHOP

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 15, 2010
Our Sparticle kit weighs 5KG - 24v 250w. AtoB magazine claimed 40 miles range.

The level of control that you have specified is not possible with the Sparticle kit - Pedelec and thottle are both available but there is 1 power setting for the pedelec. Which will take you to the standard 15.5mph. So it's basic, but light and efficient.

I heard about people being disqualified in competitions (tour de france?) for using the system that mounts in a seatpost that's mentioned above. Naughty.

Chris - The Electric Transport Shop

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
I heard about people being disqualified in competitions (tour de france?) for using the system that mounts in a seatpost that's mentioned above. Naughty.

Chris - The Electric Transport Shop
Please don't further the unfounded rumour that is, frankly, a load of *******.
UCI to check for electric bikes at Tour de France - Cycling - Yahoo! Sports
Some of the comments on there are from people who know what Cancellara is like without a motor. He doesn't need one.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, that rumour really was ignorant, the noise alone would give the game away, let alone the battery and wires.

TheWarden

Mar 12, 2010
I'm also pretty interested in a light low assist bike. I guess the Cytronex are about the best you can do atm. If you use a 2kg Tongxin and a low Ah 2kg battery you can just about do it sub 5kg but really the best way to reduce weight is put it on a really light bike. If I was rich I'd try one of these bad boys:

http://www.trekbikes.com/images/bikes/2011/xl/districtcarbon_black.jpg

So something like that would be around 11kg with the motor making it probably the lightest (and most expensive) bike around. One can dream.

jbond

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2010
Ware, Herts
www.voidstar.com
There seems to be two possible routes.

1) Small lightweight hub motor with the smallest battery you think you can get away with. eg Tongxin, Bafang QSWXH 5-10 AHr - 24v-36v LiOn. I'm especially curious about that SB motor and wonder just how far it could be pushed with the right controller.

2) The RC-friction drive people are coming up with very small, lightweight packages. Kind of helps if you have a milling machine or at least a bench drill! It's not clear that anyone anywhere has really achieved this, but an RC motor rigged as a friction drive, with a 22v-5Ahr battery looks like it could be very small and very light.

At the end of the day, it's the battery as much as the motor that contributes to the weight. The BPM I have now is quoted as 4.6Kg, the QSWXH is quoted as 2.9Kg. Saving 1.7Kg is quite a lot and it does look like the right controller could match the BPM with the stock SB controller I have now for speed and climbing torque. But then (if I could work out how) it ought to be possible to push the BPM a lot further. But whatever you do, a battery with enough voltage and enough current to get a reasonable range and >250W is going to weigh >4Kg. The best you can do is to position it on the bike so you don't feel it, except for when pedalling with assist off or trying to lift the bike.

I think you can see the double think going on here. I probably ought to be thinking in terms of 150w to stay in the spirit of the original question and here I am talking about pushing 250w motors to 350w and beyond. The real solution to electric range at the moment is *not to use it*. Reserve the electric power purely for hill climbing. But when you've spent all that money...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The free rolling is even more important than low motor weight though, in this respect the Tongxin motor is unbeatable among hub motors at present.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
The free rolling is even more important than low motor weight though, in this respect the Tongxin motor is unbeatable among hub motors at present.
To emphasise this the Cute motor is only 1.7kg (lighter than the Tongxin) yet has a nylon gear drive and thus is both noisier and not as free rolling as the Tongxin steel roller drive.

I guess going the 24v route would also reduce the weight, battery wise, but of course the current draw would be higher.

As an asside the cute motors do look like good value and I would certainly consider one if I was starting again in terms of being more readily available and produced in the narrow width for small wheeled folders like the Brompton. I have been tempted to order one just to try.

This youtube video seems to show that they are reasonably quiet

YouTube - Cute Geared Brushless Bike Motor 1.6 kg

Definately a whir though when it gets up to speed :rolleyes:

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
I think they are an offshoot of Tongxin themselves and you will no doubt then find the same problem, that they will not sell in small numbers or to single DIY enthuiasts.

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

spike

Pedelecer
Nov 29, 2008
Thanks Jerry

The reason I'm asking is because they are willing to sell a sample kit.

Cheers

Spike

spike

Pedelecer
Nov 29, 2008
Yes. That is a fully built wheel, controller, and battery. In fact, any of the parts on the product sheet. I'm not 100% sure it's not a scam site so thought I'd check here before ordering a sample. I also didn't know Tongxin had an offshoot company. I'll go ahead and order a sample then report back. Thanks for the input.

Cheers

Spike

TheWarden

Mar 12, 2010
Yes. That is a fully built wheel, controller, and battery. In fact, any of the parts on the product sheet. I'm not 100% sure it's not a scam site so thought I'd check here before ordering a sample. I also didn't know Tongxin had an offshoot company. I'll go ahead and order a sample then report back. Thanks for the input.
Spike
I was thinking of buying some Tongxin motors from "Desheng" next week but buying them direct as samples might be easier/quicker. Have you now placed an order and gotten a price quote? Do you have to give them a fake company spiel to get "samples"?

I think Tongxin lost interest in doing small orders direct to people a couple of years back making obtaining them pretty tricky.

spike

Pedelecer
Nov 29, 2008
Hi

Who/what is Desheng?

I'm not sure they are part of Tongxin and I'm just going through the process of ordering now. It's been a long drawn out affair but it's finalised now. I think the assumption for getting the sample is that the buyer is interested in a bulk purchase, but no company details were requested. If the deal goes through OK and I get the shipment I'll post all of the details here. If not I'll report a scam. The full kit (no battery) including wheel build and shipping to Aus is $230. If it works out OK I might do a bulk order just to get the motors into Aus again.

HTH

Spike

TheWarden

Mar 12, 2010
Hi

Who/what is Desheng?
Spike
A couple of people have ordered Tongxin motors from a guy in China who resells various EV bits and bobs. Although it does take time he seems to be reliable.

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/6289-anyone-been-touch-billy-dongguan-desheng-recently.html

By the pictures it looks like the Tongxin is the "No.9 motor" on the last/third page of their products list right? At $230 for a single kit I think I'd still go for the Desheng option and get two motors and controllers only (~£230). Do they build wheels into any rim size you ask for (e.g. 700 x 28c)? Interested to find out how you get along.