Magura Throttle

Arthritic

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 12, 2018
Does anyone know the make / model of the potentiometer fitted to the Magura throttle 5k?
Throttle giving incorrect output to controller but warranty invalid as the end rubber on handlebar end damaged which shows its been dropped. Replaced with new one but would like to repair thie old one if I can find the right pot.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Can’t you pull apart what you have and check the impedance that way you would no exactly what range to start looking at .

• Useful
Reactions: LeighPing

Arthritic

Jun 12, 2018
Can’t you pull apart what you have and check the impedance that way you would no exactly what range to start looking at .
Problem is the physical fit. The pot is a tight fit within a tube so wires in line, so only this type will fit. The only mark on the pot is 5k, and possibly letters RUF, difficult to read even with magnifying glass.

Attachments

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Have you tried looking through the likes of RS Components and similar companies

Arthritic

Jun 12, 2018
Have you tried looking through the likes of RS Components and similar companies
Only for an hour! Google images usually finds things like this but not this time. Hence the question on here in case there were any service guys in the know.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
I dont know what dimensions your working with but the type of resistor your after is about .

Arthritic

Jun 12, 2018
I dont know what dimensions your working with but the type of resistor your after is about .
Thanks for looking. Haven't got my vernier to hand, but body is approx. 13mm dia and 10mm deep, so less than half the size of that one. However the style is similar so I'll try searching using some of its references. If I find something I'll post the info. as its bound to be a cheaper fix and its certainly not difficult. I don't like this throw away attitude, dealers just say its an unrepairable product. What they mean is they can't make money out of repairing it.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I don't like this throw away attitude, dealers just say its an unrepairable product. What they mean is they can't make money out of repairing it.
if it's just a potentiometer, you can send it to me, I'll fix it for you.

Reactions: Gaz and Fat Rat

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
I don't like this throw away attitude, dealers just say its an unrepairable product. What they mean is they can't make money out of repairing it.
Throw away mentality :(
It’s the way things are when as you rightly say things can be repaired but people aren’t interested in doing so
It’s not good

Arthritic

Jun 12, 2018
if it's just a potentiometer, you can send it to me, I'll fix it for you.
Apologies slow response. Thanks for the offer and I may take you up on it, however pot. is a sealed component, circlip on shaft at one end and other end, which inners must come out of, is filled with a solid sealant. If I can find a solution it'll be better for all as the pot itself is likely to be just a few quid.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
just a suggestion: de-solder the potentiometer and check it with a multitester. The highest resistance between two pins gives you the value of the potentiometer. The voltage for signalling is usually 5V, you can deduce the power rating of the pot.

Arthritic

Jun 12, 2018
just a suggestion: de-solder the potentiometer and check it with a multitester. The highest resistance between two pins gives you the value of the potentiometer. The voltage for signalling is usually 5V, you can deduce the power rating of the pot.
Thanks again. I've had the meter on it etc. The problem with this failed pot is that it won't go down to zero. The Processor / Controller has a safety feature which stops it activating the main relay if there is a voltage from the throttle at switch on. The new throttle stays at zero output for a few degrees as a sort of deadband, so I'm confident this is the only problem and still searching for a new pot.

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
As an interim solution, are you able to reprogram your controller to adjust the throttle input voltage range to match that of the faulty throttle?