Maintenance Advised...

PatH

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2015
Yes the Sparta ION M-Gear bike was a very basic and cheap model using a completely different motor and electronics design with a frame mounted magnetic sensor. Therefore if that wasn't properly aligned there would be problems. The one for all documentation should be changed...

My one has no sensors on the frame, I should know I've had it upside down for deep cleaning several times.

I think the M-Gear is still available from the brochure.

It's a shame the electronics are not bullet proof because the rest of the bike is, no expense spared in terms of a hand welded frame, top quality wheels and spokes, stainless steel nuts and bolts. Just needed a bit more spent in development to get IP35 water resistance for the handlebar buttons.

The warranty fix was the display holder and I took that apart and it had very inadequate water protection, a very flimsy rubber seal, whereas for probably 10p more per unit it should have been designed to be a permanently sealed shut component, glueing would have been better.

I still love the bike and have 5,000 miles on it now over the worst of British roads, but will the electricals last ten years, like the frame? Questionable.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's a shame the electronics are not bullet proof because the rest of the bike is, no expense spared in terms of a hand welded frame, top quality wheels and spokes, stainless steel nuts and bolts.
I agree, even on the basic M-gear the build quality superb and many of the style and design features well above the norm in bicycle design. That made the early mishandling of the launch all the more sad, since there was so much else to desire about the bike.

Spartas definitely come with pride of ownership as standard.

PatH

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2015
When I took it in for warranty James' partner at Justebikes said that Sparta are not really interested in the UK market any more, I wonder if that has to do with the early image problems?

It's still a beautiful looking bike -

Christmas clean.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
When I took it in for warranty James' partner at Justebikes said that Sparta are not really interested in the UK market any more, I wonder if that has to do with the early image problems?
I daresay that has had an effect, but it's probably as much to do with the nature of the UK market. It's not only small, there's a big bias to MTB bikes and the Dutch upright style doesn't sell well here.

Giant whose Dutch style bikes sold well in The Netherlands suffered here in the same way in earlier years, until they made more sporty options available.

PatH

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2015
Update...

It has become like an old dependable horse, just when you think it is about to cark it, it decides to work again.

I have taken to placing a woolly glove over the right handlebar to protect the buttons from frost.

Most of them have stopped working and the temperature sensor seems to be a part of the button assembly and has also failed and reads zero all the time.

But it still works! There is just one functioning button left, which selects max power, all other buttons are stuck, so it's on auto lights, auto-recharge...

I don't know how long I will get away with this...

rower

Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2018
Berks and Bucks
Sounds like your horse will be due for a trip to the glue factory before long :eek:

• :D
Reactions: mike killay

PatH

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2015
Things just got a lot worse, and at the worst possible time.

I accidentally dropped the LCD Display onto a hard surface (frozen fingers) and when I put it on the bike, nothing, nada. I've dropped it before and it was ok but this is my worst nightmare. I start a new job next week and absolutely rely on the bike for my A to B. So god knows how I am going to get it fixed in time.

Only saving grace is that I decided to take it apart and see if there was anything obvious, this required a rather invasive procedure but I then superglued it all back together and tried again. Nothing, but then as I tried again pushing it on I noticed a brief flicker, and if I continued pressing then it stayed on.

By using a heath robinson arrangement of sticky tape creating angular pressure I can get it to stay on just long enough to cycle a few miles before the tape loosens. So at least I won't have to walk the 5 miles to the train station to then be able to get to the dealers.

Why the switchgear and electronics cannot be made more durable on a bike costing more than £2k is beyond me. I've had similar price motorbikes before that have lasted years without the switchgear going wrong.

Now all I have to do is get to London before the new job starts, pay god knows how many £££ for replacement parts, and pray that the bike won't let me down for a few weeks until I get paid and can have an emergency fund for alternative transport.

I guess the manufacturers cannot really test for high mileage problems (i've done 5k in all weathers) but really this is a serious downvote for something so expensive.

And if I buy another e-bike in the summer as I am hoping to then I will not risk buying from anyone other than a local dealer, despite JustEBikes saying they have a 'home service' option, which in reality they are not really interested in offering as I discovered last time. Or maybe JustEBikes might be interested in some owner goodwill as I will be looking to spend some serious cash again in the summer.

D

Deleted member 4366

Have a look at the pins on the back of the LCD. If it's like any other removable LCD, the pins are sprung. One is either bent out of position or jammed in. Either way, you might be able to straighten it or unjam it with some small pliers or tweezers.

PatH

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2015
You can't really see it in this pic but the pins go through the display onto the main PCB and the visible parts here clip over the plastic lip and that is all fine.

cuv3 Display.jpg

PatH

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2015
It would be fine if I could simply order the parts online, the display I can get for about 65 Euros, the button controller assembly for about 38 Euros, but the 'return to base only' crap and London prices means I can probably add 50% to that, not to mention loss of earnings and travelling costs.

Unique

Just Joined
Aug 2, 2019
You can't really see it in this pic but the pins go through the display onto the main PCB and the visible parts here clip over the plastic lip and that is all fine.

View attachment 23530
Thanks for posting the picture, mine is very similar so I feel at least someeone else has similar interests. My display unit just goes blank sometimes while I am riding, then the power fades. So far I have always been able to restart it be removing and replacing it but I don't understand why it is happening. Have reclaibrated (using two different methods listed). Did you say you had taken a unit apart? Is there a battery that coudl be loose?