Make sure you have the correct tools!

fatwomble

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2017
Southampton / Winchester
I had to call the breakdown service today (Mrs FW in our Leon Estate), to pick me up, as I'd suffered a puncture and my multi tool didn't have a big enough spanner to removed the wheel (I'm used to an allen key to undo the spindle).

Muddy old ride before that, but at least I was only local and doing a route with plenty of road crossing points.

IMG_20170521_153354 by fatwomble, on Flickr

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres and Slime tube combo, worth their weight in gold ;)

fatwomble

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2017
Southampton / Winchester
Priceless
Yep, she is indeed.

Slime inner tubes fitted (5mm cut in the tube, so not a lot of use unfortunately). Puncture repair kit on and spare tube carried, just no 19mm spanner, so all utterly pointless. What a wally I am :(

Wouldn't have fancied my luck with the Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres on the off road trails I was riding :eek:

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
  • :D
Reactions: Croxden

Mac_user82

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
The amount of times sealant has saved my bacon when i have been going to a appointment to make sure i am there on time with none of this running late because i have a flat tyre on my bike it makes life so much easier and better then messing finding punctures

i have had punctures through marathon plus tyres don't get me wrong they are a good tyre but they are not brilliant you still get a flat where the sealant sorted the flat with no problems at all

Roughly if you had 3mm puncture the sealant would seal about 500 holes before all the sealant is used up in the tube it better then buying 500 puncture repair patches

Amazon are selling patched 48 for about £10 saying that you can buy the sealant on amazon which would seal about 500 punctures which would

a lot more cheaper for you in the long run of course you never know when you are going to get a flat a quick blast of co2 and your back on the road again

Sometimes i cycle at night to places i would much prefer just to blow up a tyre on the side of the road then bother to mess with glue and everything else on the side of the road

if you do go down the sealant route the only thing you would have to carry with you is the co2 cannister or if you like me too always carry a 8mm alllen key just in case the crank or pedal comes lose have to hand to put it back on

Last edited:

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Didn't see those, they look to have sufficient tread. It would be worth using one on the rear, the front I have a 29+ to aid comfort, so I'll stick with that.

I'll get one order now, thanks.
The good thing with the Marathons is that they have fairly stiff sidewalls, so you can run them at lower pressures to aid comfort and grip. I run mine at 35psi.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: fatwomble

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
I had to call the breakdown service today (Mrs FW in our Leon Estate), to pick me up, as I'd suffered a puncture and my multi tool didn't have a big enough spanner to removed the wheel (I'm used to an allen key to undo the spindle).

Muddy old ride before that, but at least I was only local and doing a route with plenty of road crossing points.

IMG_20170521_153354 by fatwomble, on Flickr
I clicked on your photo and up came Sir Bradley Wiggins with two St Bernards and A Skoda 4X4, there is much more to you than meets the eye.

The Marathon plus MTB are quite narrow on a 29 I found, very good in mud up to a point but if you are serious you may want to go up the scale a bit. The most times I have fallen off my bike was with M plus MTB's fitted.

Impossible to puncture probably but in mud just ish.
20161211_125236.jpg

Reactions: fatwomble