Marathon Plus puncture

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
Having managed 4000 miles on Marathon Pluses without a puncture, I suppose it was inevitable. Still, I wasn't expecting this...

And what is more impressive? The tyre is back on the bike with a new inner tube (the old one was sliced open top and bottom and beyond repair) and so far so good.

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Damn even the mighty Marathon Plus couldn't stop that sucker. :(

I just ordered some Marathon Plus myself y'day (cost £33.98 including delivery for a pair) should be arriving today so looking forward to fitting them and going for a quick spin later, weather permitting... I've heard they make a considerable difference to riding performance and energy efficiency.

I also got some new inners (Schwalbe £4.99 each) as my cheapo Chinese ones keep losing air and I figured why not do a replacement at same time..

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
Damn even the mighty Marathon Plus couldn't stop that sucker. :(

I just ordered some Marathon Plus myself y'day (cost £33.98 including delivery for a pair) should be arriving today so looking forward to fitting them and going for a quick spin later, weather permitting... I've heard they make a considerable difference to riding performance and energy efficiency.

I also got some new inners (Schwalbe £4.99 each) as my cheapo Chinese ones keep losing air and I figured why not do a replacement at same time..
Where did you find a pair for £34?

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
Hi you should demand your money back they are puncture resistant
JOKE JOKE

Frank
It resisted for quite some time all things considered. I heard something clank, followed by a ping and it was only when I stopped (about 10 meters further on) to see what had happened that the tyre went down!

In the end I lost a mud guard stay and a rear spoke.

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Hi you should demand your money back they are puncture resistant
JOKE JOKE

Frank
You bad lad Frank, you've ruffled a few feathers on here! ;P You won't be doing that again I bet.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Although it is obviously that no tyre could have repelled that puncture, I have to admit that I am not so sure Marathon Plus are so great, or maybe to be more accurate not so good for users of smaller wheeled bikes i.e. those with 20" rims and less.

On smaller rims they are a nightmare to fit and often the bead gets damaged when fitting or removing the tyre. This is actually worse as what happens is the metal bead is exposed where the rubber covering is scraped off and the coiled wrapped round wire, is burred over.

Initally the tyre eventually goes on and all looks great. Then over the next few months, especially in wet weather, the bead starts to rust. This then ends up rubbing the inner tube and eventaully a tiny puncture develops, usually ending up with the tyre going down over night. I have had this happen three times overall on two of my bikes over a 12 month period. I guess this is better than a roadside punture though.

Fortunately my tyre fitting technique has improved to a point where I can get them on without levers though levers are still required to remove them.

I have been trying other tyres with kevlar and nylon bands in them and so far they have proved to be as punture resistant as my Plus's.

I guess tyre selection is a personal thing and I am tending to prefer faster rolling tyres these days to heavy full pucture resistant ones. Then again where wheel removal is required for us ebike users, the objective must surely be to minimise punctures given the hassle that often involves. I know you can fix a punture with a wheel in situ but its often hard to identify the pucture site unless the tube is submersed in water. Its always easier to carrier a spare tube, whip the old one out, refit the new one and repair the old one at leisure when you are home.

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've never had that trouble with MPs on the 20" rims of my eZee Quando based bike, but rims do vary.

Continental make a the Contact Security tyre which has exactly the same construction as the Schwalbe Marathon Plus ones and is usually cheaper. Sadly they don't make 20" or smaller sizes though:

Continental Contact Security cycle tyres

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Yes flecc as you say rims vary but for us Brompton fans, Sun CR18s are the only option for 16", 36h rims to lace motors into. These rims are the culprit.

Fortunately I managed to get some blank Brompton Alesa rims and a friend drilled them 36h for me. These usually come stock as 28h on Bromptons and are much easier to fit the MPs on.

My Moulton TSR2 came with Continental Contacts for its 20" 37-406 rims and I have been pleased with those so far.

I have also been using some Kojaks on my other Moulton which roll really well though clearly are for road use or possibly light cycle path use only. I have had one puncture on those which was down to a drawing pin right through the middle of the tyre :mad:

Had it been a MP I guess that probably have survived.

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
I got them from nextdaytyres.com by searching on Google Shopping for the lowest price ;-)
They are showing at £44 a pair...

Bike24 - Online Shop - Cycling, Running, Swimming, Triathlon - Bike parts, Racing Cycles, Mountainbike (MTB), Bike Wear, Sportswear direct from Germany are usually considerably cheaper than anywhere in the UK for any Schwalbe tyres. They arrive in less than a week, with no VAT to pay (one positive from the common market!) and postage costs are very reasonable. Highly recommended for any German made bike kit.
These come out at £43 a pair without adding uk shipping...

They do however have Marathon Green tyres which I have not seen before. They appear to be pretty much the same as the marathon plus (save for recycled guard material) and are slightly cheaper.

The last time I bought a pair from here when they had the 26 x 1.75s on offer. The current 26" tyres are 1.5. I did think about it but wasn't sure if they would be too small or hard...

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
More on the Marathon Greens from Schwable.

They specifically mention their use on ebikes as well up to 50kph.

Edit: The protection belt is 3mm as opposed to 5mm on the Marathon Plus

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
I just got my tyres and inners that was quick wasn't it! Next day true to form.. Looking at them it's hard to tell there's anything special about them in terms of extra protection, I was expecting them to be more hefty but it's obviously well hidden inside the tyre.. at least they will be not too difficult to fit, (hopefully).

I don't think I will be testing them out today though, frequent showers have made the ground all wet.. call me a pussy, but I'm storing the bike in my flat, makes a real mess on the wooden floor :p

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
They are showing at £44 a pair...

These come out at £43 a pair without adding uk shipping...

They do however have Marathon Green tyres which I have not seen before. They appear to be pretty much the same as the marathon plus (save for recycled guard material) and are slightly cheaper.

The last time I bought a pair from here when they had the 26 x 1.75s on offer. The current 26" tyres are 1.5. I did think about it but wasn't sure if they would be too small or hard...
Ah, sorry for the confusion.. I did indeed mean Marathan Green, which I assumed to be the latest 2011 version of Marathan Plus, or at least that's the impression I got from the page anyway it says they're called "Plus" by some dealers.. I wonder why there is such a price difference tho, the Green being significantly cheaper eh.

EDIT: Ah eagle eyed z0mb13e has spotted the difference, 3mm v 5mm belt.. I wonder if that makes a big difference?

Last edited:

andrewgardner

Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2009
I have used City Contact 700x47 and have never had a pun--ure, in about 2000 miles. The only down side to them is that they are heavy. I run them with 40psi.

Andy.

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
I just weighed these 26 x 1.75 tyres out of interest as I don't think the weight was stated on the website.. they weigh just over 900 grams per tyre....the cheapo Chinese 26 x 2.125 knobbly tyres I'm replacing weighed 1,090 grams each.

Last edited:

andrewgardner

Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2009
I just weighed these 26 x 1.75 tyres out of interest as I don't think the weight was stated on the website.. they weigh just over 900 grams per tyre.
Hells bells I thought my contacts were heavy at 740g and thats on a 700c rim.
I bet Racing Ralphs are nearly half that.

Andy.

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
Ah, sorry for the confusion.. I did indeed mean Marathan Green, which I assumed to be the latest 2011 version of Marathan Plus, or at least that's the impression I got from the page anyway it says they're called "Plus" by some dealers.. I wonder why there is such a price difference tho, the Green being significantly cheaper eh.

EDIT: Ah eagle eyed z0mb13e has spotted the difference, 3mm v 5mm belt.. I wonder if that makes a big difference?
Not a problem. Seeing as how you have a pair of Marathon Greens, you can let us know how you get on or rather how they get on. It will be interesting to see if the extra 2mm makes any difference.

Time will tell. And unless I see lots of posts about them, they are on my purchase list for when I next need a new tyre.