Marathon Plus puncture

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The best money saver is here, the MP exact equivalent Continental Contact Security 26" x 1.75" tyre at just £11.98 each, same 900 grams weight. At under £24 the pair they make the Marathon Plus at £43 a pair look extremely expensive! And it's the proper 5 mm layer:

Puncture resistant tyres from AllTerrain Cycles

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Hells bells I thought my contacts were heavy at 740g and thats on a 700c rim. I bet Racing Ralphs are nearly half that
My 16" Marathon Kojaks on my Moulton MK3 weigh 230g :p

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk

AndyOfTheSouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2009
Has anyone used any of the happy trio of Schwalbe Marathon Supreme, Dureme or Extreme? Just wondering. They seem to be their latest offerings of the more durable style tyre.

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
tyres changed, but slight problem...

Changed the tyres without a hitch. They went on easy peasy, although getting the wheels off proved a right pig. Especially the rear. The rear nuts were very torqued up and the motor axle in the front was let's say "very snug". And to matters worse, when I put the rear back in my hast I didn't notice I had forgot to slip the chain over the sprockets until of course I had tightened the nuts. Doh.

Glad I wore latex gloves, very messy job, plenty of oil and the amount of mud that came off the old tyres...

The new tyres look skinny compared to those fat knobbly's..

Now to the problem...these new inners I got have those horrible Presta valves...why?? Anyway I have an adaptor with my foot pump which looks like the correct one but doesn't screw on and form an air-tight fit.. hmm.

Last edited:

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
The best money saver is here, the MP exact equivalent Continental Contact Security 26" x 1.75" tyre at just £11.98 each, same 900 grams weight. At under £24 the pair they make the Marathon Plus at £43 a pair look extremely expensive! And it's the proper 5 mm layer:

Puncture resistant tyres from AllTerrain Cycles
That is pretty good value - at that price I will have to overcome my prejudice towards Continental bike tyres. (I had a bad experience with Continental Top Contacts - both punctured with 60 miles of fitting and then every 20 miles or so one or other would go flat until I had enough. I know they weren't puncture resistant but it was very annoying)

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
I've got a couple of those weird adaptors that don't seem to fit anything. Not sure what they are for but they don't fit presta vavles at all.

I went and bought a proper adaptor from halfords when I last had to pump up a presta vavle.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That is pretty good value - at that price I will have to overcome my prejudice towards Continental bike tyres. (I had a bad experience with Continental Top Contacts - both punctured with 60 miles of fitting and then every 20 miles or so one or other would go flat until I had enough. I know they weren't puncture resistant but it was very annoying)
I haven't got much experience of Continental bike tyres, but the Continental Cityride tyres on the Agattu I tested and reviewed impressed me. Very secure on any road surface and good braking grip, they also rolled well. The same bike had been the subject of A to B's review and in our combined mileage there were no punctures, despite my including testing on some terrible road surfaces:

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
I've got a couple of those weird adaptors that don't seem to fit anything. Not sure what they are for but they don't fit presta vavles at all.

I went and bought a proper adaptor from halfords when I last had to pump up a presta vavle.
Oh dear I better get shopping for one then else no riding for me this weekend :p

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Hi the continental Tyre listed is now obsolete replaced by a special electric bike Tyre

the Eco contact Plus

See link

Continental Cycle Tyres UK

Frank
Interesting, do you know what the difference is between the standard and "Plus", there's a 120g weight difference so presumably it's got better puncture protection.. Cheapest price I can find for the standard is £21.32 delivered, but can't find the Plus tyres.. maybe they're too new and not widely stocked? Shame they discontinued the cheap £12 ones..those were an absolute bargain.

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Advice for anyone changing rear tyre...

I forgot to mention earlier...if any first timers have to change a rear tyre and are unsure how to do it, this video guide I found earlier is quite useful...

How To Remove and Install Your Wheels - Bicycle Tutor

The video assumes you have a quick release wheel, but it's pretty much the same with a bolted wheel..main thing is to adjust rear gears so that chain is on the smallest sprocket for easy removal. Oh and don't forget to put the chain back over sprocket before re-seating wheel in drop outs.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hi the continental Tyre listed is now obsolete replaced by a special electric bike Tyre

the Eco contact Plus

See link

Continental Cycle Tyres UK

Frank
Not a replacement Frank, they don't have the thick inner layer of the Marathon Plus and Contact Security ones.

The Contact Security are still available from AllTerrain Cycles at that bargain price, so worth it while they last if they have in fact been discontinued..

Last edited:

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
I Hate Presta Valves!!!!!

Got my presta valve adaptor this morning...is it just me or are these valves a total pain in the ass to inflate? As fast as I pump air in, it's escaping as the pump isn't making a proper seal over the valve.. never had this problem with the pump on Schrader valves.. think I will take these inners out and replace with Schrader valve inners..

Biged

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2010
Watnall, Nottingham
I love Schrader Valves

Can't see why they don't fit Schrader valved tubes as standard, changed mine last week from Woods/Dunlop valved tubes, you think Presta are bad :(

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Can't see why they don't fit Schrader valved tubes as standard, changed mine last week from Woods/Dunlop valved tubes, you think Presta are bad :(
Yes, I'm a firm believer in Schrader being universal too, though Presta are essential on the very narrow sport-bike tyres. The original Woods/Dunlop with it's little rubber sleeve worked ok although a tiny bit more work to pump. It's the introduction of the later valve seal types that's made them so poor. Oddly the Continentals still like them, though that's probably because they've got the right sort of pump connectors available.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
I've had no problems with presta valves either infact I find fitting the pump nozel to them a touch easier than Schrader....I use a Halfords upright pump.