Massive kudos to Wisper - highly reconmend

cjd

Pedelecer
Jan 23, 2013
I wanted to post a thank you to David and his team at Wisper for all of their help with my choice of a new bike! Lots of choices now with Amazon and other sellers, Fido, etc, but I really wanted someone and somewhere I could trust - I nearly bought a Rad years ago but was put off by warranty and service issues.

I am lucky that I am in the village next to David, so I can pop around there, but I feel anyone gets that level of service. I met David today and tried a Wayfarer with a hub motor and the mid-drive. He was so patient and explained the differences, not only in price but how they worked. The hub was more fun and gave me a massive push, but the mid was more natural and felt like a bike, which is what I wanted.

Went for the silver, which is gold :) crossbar standard battery but with the Adventure pack.

Even being delivered to me! Also, what a great set-up he has there. About six lads all tinkering with bikes.

So all I am saying is for customer care - defo add Wisper to the list! Before we even get to how cool the bike is!

Thank you!
C

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Wondering what chain lube people use please?
Kind of debatable.

Some go for a light oil, though you need to know having a chain dripping with oil or even wet with it is not desirable,as it picks up contamination(-grit) which turns into a grinding paste that can lead to premature wear. for others its a special kind of wax designed for bike chains.

The chain is the expendable part of the drivetrain. The chain, when it wears beyond a certain point should be changed, which will slow down wear on the cassette(rear cogs) and front chainring.

You can buy a little tool called a 'chain checker'(Chain wear indicator gauge), which tells you when the chain has worn beyond the point which etc etc. and it would be best replaced.

Last edited:
Reactions: cjd

Waspy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2012
Wondering what chain lube people use please?
I just give my chain a quick spray with some GT85 and a wipe over with an oily rag.

Be careful with spray mind, put a plastic bag over your disc brakes if you use it.

But I have a hub drive and so my chain gets an easier life than yours will, but I wouldn't overthink it, just get out there and enjoy the bike, summer is nearly here!

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
GT85 is a degreaser. It's not really a chain lube, and in fact any ptfe you put on is going to wear off very quickly.

And you'll save on plastic bags ;)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I use cheap gear oil ep90 ,hydraulic fluid or such like, I drizzle it on with a syringe then wipe excess off with a rag after a few mins.
One can fall in to the trap of buying expensive snake oil lubes , which entice one to spend silly money . Some though will pay out silly money for 100mls of snake oil and believe it will be better then gear oil !!!

Probably no right or wrong , if you have deep pockets then snake oil other wise I doubt one will find it makes any difference really.

• Agree
Reactions: cjd and robert44

Cadence

Pedelecer
Feb 23, 2023
I use cheap gear oil ep90 ,hydraulic fluid or such like, I drizzle it on with a syringe then wipe excess off with a rag after a few mins.
One can fall in to the trap of buying expensive snake oil lubes , which entice one to spend silly money . Some though will pay out silly money for 100mls of snake oil and believe it will be better then gear oil !!!

Probably no right or wrong , if you have deep pockets then snake oil other wise I doubt one will find it makes any difference really.
I largely concur with the above. However I have become a fair weather only cyclist so avoid going out in the rain and don't ride on wet roads/gravel tracks if I can help it. Because of this I use a dry lube (Muc-Off, but there are others). It stays on the chain without splattering all over me and or the bike and provides just enough lubricant to keep the chain from becoming stiff or rusty and reduces wear. It is no good in wet conditions though.
The trick is to use it sparingly and I put a drop on each roller on the inside of the chain while turning the pedals backwards.
It needs to be applied regularly (after every 20 miles in my case) and I clean the chain in situ every month with white spirit in a chain cleaning bath followed by hot soapy water. A quick squirt with WD40 (which is a water displacer) and back-pedal to dry out the chain - then re-lube.
That said, just about any lubricant is better than none - you will find advocates of wax, gear oil, chain oil - and snake oil! :D

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Because of this I use a dry lube (Muc-Off

Oh Good God, not the infamous Muc-Off chain lube.

That stuff attracts dirt.
In a poll by some fancy road website company, Muc-off came last in their highly technical testing of chain lubes.

For a bit of clarity. having no lube at all came 2nd last.

• :D
Reactions: cjd and guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I used to use 4 in 1 mineral oil, but switched to the far superior Hypoid 90, because @Nealh and @saneagle kept going on about it on the forum for years, and for years it worked wonderfully... until I tried mixing in some Aeroshell 22, because I appear to have bought a lifetime's supply of the stuff and need to use it up somehow... but that experiment didn't go well. Fortunately, oil dissolves grease, and Hypoid 90 now works great again. I splash it all over, like Henry Cooper and his Brut aftershave.

Last edited:

Cadence

Pedelecer
Feb 23, 2023
Oh Good God, not the infamous Muc-Off chain lube.

That stuff attracts dirt.
In a poll by some fancy road website company, Muc-off came last in their highly technical testing of chain lubes.

For a bit of clarity. having no lube at all came 2nd last.
Yes, like all lubricants it attracts dirt - hence why I use it very sparingly and clean the chain monthly. If too much is applied it turns into a gummy film which makes the links stiff. It works for me, but for dry use only. I doubt that it attracts as much dirt as a "wet" oil, but each to their own! :)

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Yes, like all lubricants it attracts dirt - hence why I use it very sparingly and clean the chain monthly. If too much is applied it turns into a gummy film which makes the links stiff. It works for me, but for dry use only. I doubt that it attracts as much dirt as a "wet" oil, but each to their own! :)
This is probably why wax has become popular. The carrier takes it to the only part of a chain that you want the lube to go on, which as you undoubtedly know is the inside of each bush, so the internal surface of the pin is lubed, and not the entire chain, plates etc.
Oil really just coats everything, and wiping only really takes it off the side of the plates and the top of the rollers.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I apply Hypoid 90 extremely liberally and often, carries away dirt with it, or is held suspended in oil. I never clean my chain, and only clean my bike when I replace the chain, cassette or chainwheel - lasts long enough, all that stuff is cheap to replace on my bike.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
In olden days some bikes had the chainring and rear cog sealed in where the chain ran through an oil bath so it was constantly lubed. I think maybe Rudge as ive seen complete sealed chain guards, with a little drain nipple at the bottom.

Theres also Scottoiler, which is the constant system for cables, but they also do a chain system.