Max mph

phil01

Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2017
Dartford Kent
Hi all,
I have a 36v 250w folder from elife, cheap bike that does the job for occasional nice day rides out.
Generic led panel with 3 levels of assist.
In level 3 and me pedaling as fast as my little legs with max effort I can only max out at 15.1mph GPS,
But if I open the throttle 100% I can feel an increase in power and takes me up to 17.4 GPS without pedalling, happens every time no matter what suitcase I'm on
Is this because my gearing is under geared and 6rh is too short or is it electronic wizardry?
Thanks all

phil01

Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2017
Dartford Kent
Hi all,
I have a 36v 250w folder from elife, cheap bike that does the job for occasional nice day rides out.
Generic led panel with 3 levels of assist.
In level 3 and me pedaling as fast as my little legs with max effort I can only max out at 15.1mph GPS,
But if I open the throttle 100% I can feel an increase in power and takes me up to 17.4 GPS without pedalling, happens every time no matter what suitcase I'm on
Is this because my gearing is under geared and 6rh is too short or is it electronic wizardry?
Thanks all
Surface**

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's undergeared, very common on folders, mainly due to the small wheels. As part of modifications on my 20" wheel one I fitted a huge 60 tooth chainring to give it big bike gearing:

Reactions: LeighPing

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
How many gears are on the back? The easiest and cheapest way to get higher gearing in top gear only is to fit a DNP freewheel gear cluster on the back, which has 11 teeth on the top gear instead of your 14. They cost about £20

Reactions: LeighPing

phil01

Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2017
Dartford Kent
But this is my take on it, its pedal assist so as long as the sensor is picking up a signal from the chain ring then it really don't matter the chain ring rpm as the highest power level should max out my mph with me just keeping the chain ring spinning, if I just a to a taller ratio that just means the extra speed is coming from my input which i could not substance for very far, where as throttle gives a higher mph with lesser nor no input from me, i just thought that the would be the same as to legal restriction, quite happy for a little folder to do 17.4 unaided, just curiosity.
Thanks all for input

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I think VFR400 knows his technical stuff.

Me as they say, "I know nothing".

My first electric bike that I still own and use is a 2011 Oxygen Emate City that was supplied to me de-restricted. I think all this meant was that a loop of wire had been disconnected .

This bike has a simple on/off, light on/off and three levels of pedal assistance switching on the left handlebar, and a throttle on the right handlebar. It delivers more power and goes faster on full throttle than it does in the highest pedal assist setting and to go as fast as the bike can go means keeping the throttle pinned wide open. This has never really bothered me although on a longer commute can lead to an aching wrist.

Recently I bought a second hand Oxygen Emate city of a similar age to mine but with a central lcd display unit, branded OXYDRIVE for turning the bike on/off, lights on/off and accessing the 5 pedal assist modes. This bike also has a throttle like my other Emate on the right hand handlebar. Although I have not changed any settings since getting the bike I think the previous owner must have de-restricted this bike. Unlike my other Emate city this bike in the highest level 5 of pedal assist mode delivers its full power and goes as fast as it can, in reality around 18 to 22 mph on flattish slightly up slightly down gradients.

So one bike only delivers its top performance with the throttle held wide open and the other can do so in level 5 pedal assist mode.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
fit a DNP freewheel gear cluster on the back, which has 11 teeth on the top gear instead of your 14. They cost about £20
I did it differently because I dont like the high wear on 9 to 11 tooth sprockets. I've got a 13 tooth rear with the 60 tooth chainring, giving me a 92" top gear, unique on a small wheel bike, albeit more expensive to set up.