www.powerbikes.uk

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

gwing3

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 5, 2017
Chilterns, UK
You could fashion something up from hobbyking but it would be easier and probably cheaper to just buy the battery pack from the same seller
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rechargeable-8-4V-12000mAh-4x-18650-Battery-Pack-For-Bike-Bicycle-Headlamp-Light-/332061950810
All I can say is be very careful. That pack is unbelievably cheap, you can't even buy genuine cells of that capacity for the price which is a clue. It's best to regard all cheap Chinese battery packs (even off-bran counterfeit individual cells as well) as little bombs waiting to explode and burn your house down.

You can afford to buy cheap lights but not cheap Lithium batteries or even worse packs. Much safer is to by genuine individual cells, a good charger, then charge them individually and put them into a battery holder. These https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Durable-8-4V-USB-DC-Ports-Bicycle-Bike-Light-Battery-18650-Holder-Case-Box/302484259511?hash=item466d7782b7:m:mt0xRbwP_GljWzQi_CH9STw are advertised all over ebay by various sellers. I bought a couple and only one functioned reliably but they are cheap and unlike battery packs don't explode if duff or abused :D

We really should have a sticky with this sort of caution on it somewhere here I think.

gwing3

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 5, 2017
Chilterns, UK
That chargers fine but, if you haven't seen it already, you might take a look at the Litekala Engineer 500 analysing charger. I put up some early info on it on BLF and quite a few folks there now use it, although everyone has their favourites.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
remember that 18650 case has no short circuit protection so make sure the cells go in the right way round otherwise things get hot, tho it does melt the springs b4 it goes bang lol.;)

this is that light and stopped working after this and as you can see total crap.

Last edited:

Powerbikes

Trade Member
Sep 11, 2017
Whitehaven
www.powerbikes.uk
I didn't even consider the fact they will be cheap knock offs. Plenty of documented cases of cheap lithium batteries exploding too.
I think Soundwave has posted the best option there.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A HK lipo only make sense if you are already set up for them, though tend to be bulkier then 18650's.
A basic lipo charge is only a tenner or so.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I had roughly three dark winters and 6,000 miles of use in extremely arduous, wet and muddy conditions from my cheapo Chinese battery pack.

My pack performed without fault, and it was only an incident involving the spokes of the front wheel, that convinced me to let both the battery pack, and the Fenix BT20 rest in peace. The Fenix was certainly a good light. I'm also surprised at how little water damage that there was within the battery pack.

I'm currently trying without success to resurrect the Fenix, just so that I can use it for some comparative testing against my superb Magicshine Eagle F3, and a certain 'non best' light.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
I had roughly three dark winters and 6,000 miles of use in extremely arduous, wet and muddy conditions from my cheapo Chinese battery pack.

My pack performed without fault, and it was only an incident involving the spokes of the front wheel, that convinced me to let both the battery pack, and the Fenix BT20 rest in peace. The Fenix was certainly a good light. I'm also surprised at how little water damage that there was within the battery pack.

I'm currently trying without success to resurrect the Fenix, just so that I can use it for some comparative testing against my superb Magicshine Eagle F3, and a certain 'non best' light.

what is wrong with the light ? as it is just a driver and a led at the end of the day.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
it could be just depends how heavy the impact was but you wont know unless you take it to bits.

leds are easy to replace on the pcb but if the driver is broken then be a right pita to get a replacement driver as there custom to each light.

• Informative
Reactions: EddiePJ

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
mine cuts off when the voltage is low and the led flashes also when it is getting low so no need to monitor the voltage :)

i just ordered the 6 cell case as just what i was looking for ;)

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union