Mirror suggestions please

LeonardYoung

Pedelecer
Jan 17, 2011
I have just purchased a reasonably good 200W 10Ah 36V folding bike. It runs fine. However the twist grip throttle is not the half width type that is "inside" of the right hand bar but the "whole" width of the right handle. This means that it is not suitable for fitting a bar end mirror for two reasons: firstly the mirror would be permanently changing angle as I twist the throttle and secondly there is no suitable fitting for this kind of end-bar mirror.

So I need a mirror which is either INSIDE the outer throttle grip or perhaps attached to the brake lever, and I can even move the Shimano assembly so that it is inside of the mirror and still reach the gear change lever.

So I need a mirror that can be secured on the bare bar and have a twisty neck that can be adjusted for angle and stay put.

I've seen only one mirror like this:

Flexible Bike Bicycle Handlebar Mirror

...and it doesn't look too brilliant.

Does anyone know of a good quality convexed mirror of this type which gives a decent field of view? Thanks for any suggestions.

PS: My bike frame is not suitable for a frame-attached mirror.

Leonard

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The CatEye BM 500G mirror is the one I prefer Leonard, fit's in the bar end with a full width throttle or twistgrip gearchanger and gives a good view. Cheap too, and sold by many bike shops or online as here:

CatEye BM500G mirror

LeonardYoung

Pedelecer
Jan 17, 2011
Thanks for that Flecc. Forgive me for perhaps appearing thick, but my twist grip goes to the outer end of the right handle bar and the rubber encloses the entire grip. There is no aperture or hole in the end of this grip, but the mirror you suggest looks like it has a "prod" which presumably is somehow inserted into the end of the bar.

Is there an implication that I should somehow drill or force open an aperture in the rubber seal of the grip and as it were force the arm of this mirror into the tube of the bar?

Regards,

Leonard

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I just cut off the end cap of the rubber grip flush with the handlebar end, using a craft knife or similar. Wetting the blade with a little water makes a cutting edge go through rubber easily.

Incidentally there's a BM300G version as well which I show below, but it's insert is only suitable for large gauge handlebars like drops, so avoid that:

Last edited:

BLACKPANTHER

Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2010
Doncaster.
Whatever you do, do not but one of those flexi mirrors. I bought one as I didn't want to cut my throttle grip, and I kept banging the bar end mirror fitted to my other bike. The flexi arm makes it so shaky, it is completely and utterly useless. I now have a steel stemmed large mirror from ebay Mirror Cycle Bike Bicycle Universal fit on eBay (end time 25-Jan-11 10:26:12 GMT)

I fitted it upside down (i.e. underneath the throttle grip, 'Pan European' style) and it works really well.....solid as a rock and no shake even over bumps. Plus, my grips remain intact.

Last edited:

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
Ah, must have one of those Blackpanther. Ordered, thanks.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Whether steel stem mirrors are successful depends on the bike. They can work well on one but be useless on another as I've found when one shook all the time on one of my bikes but was ok on the other very different bike. It seems the bike characteristics are crucial in mirror choice, but I've found the CatEyes seem to work on all reasonably well.

deadmonkey

Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2010
GL12
I've got the bm300g which flecc mentions, which I'd bought from previous recommendations on here. It fits a treat into my Kalkhoff Pro Connect.

Wiggle | Cateye BM 300G Race Mirror Bike Mirrors

I like that it's pretty close and not likely to get clipped, but having now seen the 500 that may be preferable, just because the 300 is so close that about once per 10 mile trip I'll knock it with my hand and need to adjust it back into position - this may be a poor workman blaming his tools though ;)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
because the 300 is so close that about once per 10 mile trip I'll knock it with my hand and need to adjust it back into position
They are close, but on the one BM300G model I have I've used a round file to slightly enlarge the outer recess to allow the mirror to be slightly further angled out. That's worked well:

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
I was in Halfords today (for some bottom bracket bearings) and they had a good range of mirrors, including one just like the eBay link Blackpanther provided.

FWIW they didnt have the bearings, but pointed me in the direction of a shop that did. Seems i actually found a knowledgable Halfords employee.:p

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
These are the best bar end mirrors, I don`t know anyone that has broken the glass and they fold in for parking plus no vibration Wiggle | Blackburn Multi Mirror Bike Mirrors

Don`t cut the end off of the grip, just either drill a hole big enough to expose the handlebar hole or trim with a knife. Some of the full width throttles rely on the end as support.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
They would definitely be ok with twistgrips Tom, only necessary to cut the end cap off the rubber grip as I advised at the beginning.

They look a good sound design and would be less frail than the CatEyes, which although good have rather weak stems which can be broken with careless usage.

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
These are the best bar end mirrors, I don`t know anyone that has broken the glass and they fold in for parking plus no vibration Wiggle | Blackburn Multi Mirror Bike Mirrors

Would these mirrors be OK when used on a bike with throttle control? How much of the twist grip is it safe to remove?
Tom
They will be fine, just try to drill out the grip rather than cut it off and that way you get a much neater job that looks like it was made that way.
Between my wife and myself we have 6 of those mirrors and apart from my bikes getting knocked around in the back of my van at times I have also had my bike fall over onto the mirror, it folded back and (would you believe) the glass did not break.
Not sure what size internal diameter your bars are? some bars are too tight for internal bar end mirrors so you might have to purchase a 18mm drill on E bay(about £3.50) and open the bars up( probably you won`t have to) but if you do it will be well worth the trouble ( ask Morag on this forum)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
They will be fine, just try to drill out the grip rather than cut it off and that way you get a much neater job that looks like it was made that way.
Only objection I have to that Dave is that the mirror has a shoulder which can rub on the twistgrip rubber end if it overlaps the bar end. Slicing off the end cap of the grip avoids that and looks perfectly neat as my photo above shows.