Mirrors...or Not ?

Del Arthur

Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2022
Just wondered what the general opinion is, of these new handlebar mirrors......I have to say it is jolly useful knowing what's behind you at all times.......364635146_3473382299568027_5052522523447496589_n.jpg

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
You only need one mirror, and it should be fitted to the right hand side. It should be slightly convex to get a large enough view. Personally, I prefer bar-end mirrors, but all that matters is a good view of what's behind. I like Zafal mirrors, which give an excellent view and are cheep, plus they fold out of the way when you park in a bike rack.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I use two mirrors - the left is useful on large dangerous multi-lane roundabouts (when I can't find a way to avoid them). I took @saneagle's excellent advice and installed Zefals: Dooback II on the left and Cyclop on the right. I prefer the Dooback II because it snaps into the correct angle instantly, the Cyclop takes more time to adjust. I can't have a Dooback II on the right side, because of how my folding bike folds.

Last edited:
Reactions: Del Arthur

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
Thanks for the recommendation!
They had the RHS ones here

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Just wondered what the general opinion is, of these new handlebar mirrors......I have to say it is jolly useful knowing what's behind you at all times.......
I find them surprisingly good. I just use just one on the right.
I'd prefer a slightly narrower field of view; cars are misleadingly small in the mirror.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
A definite yes to right hand slightly convex such as Cateye BM 500.

I used an Oxford mirror for half of my recent trip, before I snapped it off, which was flat and really poor in comparison. All that the bike shop had.

New Cateye now fitted, and back to a good view.

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
I don't think you'll ever great a great view but at least seeing if there is something behind you is safer than having to look behind to see.

I have a zefal dooback grip one on RHS, works OK but is easily knocked, I find it more useful than not so it's still on bike

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
I use a Mirrcycle mirror on the right. I wouldn't go out without it.
I'm with you there - if feel quite exposed without a mirror.

I had as a gift a Garmin Varia, a rear facing warning radar gizmo that does in fact work really well in certain situations e.g. when riding quiet roads two abreast and gas-bagging and not being aware of rearward approaching traffic. The Varia works with Garmin GPS or a smartphone app - I use an app and just keep the phone in my pocket as the beep telling me there's something behind is sufficient to gain my attention. A bit of a toy really but the integrated rear light is good but I wouldn't have spent the dosh on myself though.

The Varia isn't great on busy roads though as it's beeping all the time.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: esuark

Jodel

Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2020
I didn't use a mirror in my younger days when I could easily turn my head to check behind, but as previous contributors have stated, I would now feel quite exposed without a mirror. I've used several different types and found Mirrcycle mirrors to be excellent, but I ended up breaking a couple.

I've used cheap Decathlon 'Elops' mirrors for a few years now. They work pretty well and are quite resistant to damage: https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/100-bike-rear-view-mirror/_/R-p-512

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
  • I've tried the 'mirror attached to the glasses/spectacles arm' type for when I rode a road bike and went for the minimalist look.
  • But TBH they are a bit of a Marmite thing in terms of what they look like to wear and there is a bit of a knack to using them.
  • I note from a google search that there are a number of different styles but one thing to remember is that most of them are 'handed' in that one designed for the LHS of the spectacles won't work very well (or as well) on the RHS and vice versa.
  • The pic below shows this - that one is for the LHS and is better for countries that drive on the right.

Last edited:

afzal

Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2023
Kerala, India
Handle bar mounted mirror was at times shaky for me (no front suspension).

Take a Look mirror was helpful, it can be used left or right side, can be fixed on helmet/specs and can be kept in your pocket.

But not everyone will be comfortable with that, it takes some time to get used to it and gives a goofy look

And i cannot ride without one now!

Last edited:

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
That's an interesting thought, are handlebar mounted mirrors less shaky on front suspension bikes ?

Del Arthur

Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2022
Well, I've had a re-think on those mirrors......I've stolen this one off me moped, it's bigger, gives a much better view, and doesn't vibrate like those new ones.....I think they can go on the moped.......just been out "on test"....much better !!Photo1108.jpg

Peddlin' Pedro

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2017
West Sussex, UK
Been using two of the Hafny style mirrors on my cargo bike for the last couple of years (sold as 'Klevsour' but arrived branded and boxed as Hafny). They don't wobble, stay where you position them and have a wide enough field-of-view to get a decent idea of what's happening behind you. Having the left-hand-side mirror as well is definitely useful in busy traffic and on roundabouts and multi-lane one-way systems; helpful for checking he trailer is still attached too ;)
Hafny mirror.jpg