Mobius 1080p camera and Medion Flexible tripod

Ettica

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2008
Heskin Lancashire
I got a Mobius 1080p action camera for using on ebike trips and in the car.
Mobius Camera - The 1080p Action Cam, Dash-Cam, Anything Cam - Full review (with samples). - YouTube

I was looking to get something to attach it to the bike handlebars or helmet AND for mounting in the car.

I spotted the flexible tripod in Aldi and I thought for £6.95 it's worth a shout. And it was!
ALDI Catalogue - Special Buys Week 37 2013 Page 5 (I know its Aldi Australia but thats the one on the left)
Fits on my handlebars a treat and also my helmet and also in my car wrapped around the rear view mirror stem!

Well chuffed :)

John F

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2013
I've been trying videos using my Panasonic HD camcorder on my Woosh Santana, but with only limited success. I've tried several handlebar mounting arrangements, where the camera was securely fixed to a home made tripod ball and socket and old light bracket set up.

My problem is that unless the road surface is smooth, I get shaking and vibration. This despite shake reduction reduction in camera and the same in my software (Sony Vegas Movie Studio)

This was my first attempt on the York Sky Ride, which shows the problem:-

Sky Ride York 2013 - YouTube

A lot of the ride was on poor surfaces which didn't help, although the bike does have front suspension

One issue may be that the camera tripod mounting hole is not positioned at the centre of gravity, allowing the camera to oscillate somewhat

A cheap mini tripod with bendy legs would be ok - just tape it securely to the bars, remembering you need to level the camera.

I may try attaching it to the forks low down and see how it goes

Ettica

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2008
Heskin Lancashire
I have tried various cameras in various places whilst riding and what I have found the best for "dampening" any vibration .... and that is .... your own body :)

A helmet cam securely fitted gives superb stability because your your body and neck absorbs most of the bumps and vibrations and together with the 170 degree wide angle lens the video is quite stable.

I am commuting home tonight so I am donning helmet cam. I will try to post the vid when done :)

John F

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2013
It would be a bit fiddly attaching a conventional camcorder to a helmet, but I might give it a go. Also, from some videos I've seen, the moving head can be a little distracting as you are not looking straight ahead all the time. Although I have my camera set on max wide angle, the shaking would be less if the angle was even wider I think.

Any ideas for body mounting?!

I have tried various cameras in various places whilst riding and what I have found the best for "dampening" any vibration .... and that is .... your own body :)

A helmet cam securely fitted gives superb stability because your your body and neck absorbs most of the bumps and vibrations and together with the 170 degree wide angle lens the video is quite stable.

I am commuting home tonight so I am donning helmet cam. I will try to post the vid when done :)

covehithe

Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2009
Suffolk
I have the 808 #16 camera which is from the same stable as the Mobius and a similar size.
I tried a bendy tripod and found it was not very convenient. I also had a "clamp - on" camera mount which I have used on my Honda (clamped to the wing mirror) - vibration was very bad.
As the vibration on bike and motor cycle was a big problem I resorted to Velcro which I have been using for past 6 months and very pleased with it. The vibration is now minimal.
I have a piece of adhesive Velcro on base of camera and on Cycle Helmet.
When I ride my motor cycle I always wear the same Safety Jacket. I have a piece of Velcro on my right shoulder which sits on top of the protector which gives a stable platform for the camera. This works well as I found that I was moving my head from side to side when it was fixed on my crash helmet and the video playback was a bit "icky"

John F

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2013
So basically it just is velcroed to your shoulder?

I have the 808 #16 camera which is from the same stable as the Mobius and a similar size.
I tried a bendy tripod and found it was not very convenient. I also had a "clamp - on" camera mount which I have used on my Honda (clamped to the wing mirror) - vibration was very bad.
As the vibration on bike and motor cycle was a big problem I resorted to Velcro which I have been using for past 6 months and very pleased with it. The vibration is now minimal.
I have a piece of adhesive Velcro on base of camera and on Cycle Helmet.
When I ride my motor cycle I always wear the same Safety Jacket. I have a piece of Velcro on my right shoulder which sits on top of the protector which gives a stable platform for the camera. This works well as I found that I was moving my head from side to side when it was fixed on my crash helmet and the video playback was a bit "icky"

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
I got a Mobius 1080p action camera for using on ebike trips and in the car.
Mobius Camera - The 1080p Action Cam, Dash-Cam, Anything Cam - Full review (with samples). - YouTube

I was looking to get something to attach it to the bike handlebars or helmet AND for mounting in the car.

I spotted the flexible tripod in Aldi and I thought for £6.95 it's worth a shout. And it was!
ALDI Catalogue - Special Buys Week 37 2013 Page 5 (I know its Aldi Australia but thats the one on the left)
Fits on my handlebars a treat and also my helmet and also in my car wrapped around the rear view mirror stem!

Well chuffed :)
How long does the battery last?

Pat

superDove

Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2011
Cheshunt, Herts. UK
I've recently got the mobius camera but I'm disappointed with it. For the 808 #16 camera there are two android apps. One to change the camera settings and one for your phone to act like an external monitor. Unfortunately for the mobius the external monitor app is not available. This is a big enough deal for me to sell it and but the #16. I wanted to use the mobius as a general camera to log trips and stuff if you can't see where your pointing it's not useful to me.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4

covehithe

Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2009
Suffolk
Yes, It is a simple Velcro fixing.
It would not work with a bigger camera.
The 808 & Mobius are flat and an ideal base for velcro.

John F

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2013
Fair enough. I don't want to look like a pirate with a parrot on my shoulder

Yes, It is a simple Velcro fixing.
It would not work with a bigger camera.
The 808 & Mobius are flat and an ideal base for velcro.

Ettica

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2008
Heskin Lancashire
photos of helmet mount and car mount using the flexible tripod. Very versatile!
20131026_105655.jpg20131026_160526.jpg

Okay, the helmet setup may make me look like a twit (replace the i with an a if you prefer :) )
but it does work a treat. Although I forgot how high it protrudes above my head and have knocked it a few times on the top of the door frame :(