Moped anybody?

wibble

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2008
How do you feel about a low cost moped instead of an ebike?. Or would you always prefer the quieter "eco friendly" ebikes?

This is an example of what's possible today:

I know, not exactly pretty :)

...but I think with a little more work a moped could be made to look like a regular bike. and the one above only costs £380!

The link is here.

I've come to the conclusion that ebikes are never going to be as powerful as a combustion engine and so I'd quite like to see the law changed to allow for low powered engined bikes. If this where to happen then engine designers would have the incentive to make even more specialized compact and quieter engines for bicycles.

So if you'd like a filthy little moped then there's a petition over here:

Petition to: change the registration laws to exempt motorised bicycles. | Number10.gov.uk

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
How do you feel about a low cost moped instead of an ebike?. Or would you always prefer the quieter "eco friendly" ebikes?
I think I'd always prefer the quiet less powerfull "eco friendly" ebike. If I hadn't got dodgy knees, and was so unfit, I'd possibly do away with the electric motor etc as well. It might be Ok off road and for even for long very low cost commutes but I can't see it ever coming without the usual motor cycle legal package attached.
As you say not exactly pretty and I don't need the power. :)

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007

This is an example of what's possible today:

I know, not exactly pretty :)

...but I think with a little more work a moped could be made to look like a regular bike. and the one above only costs £380!

The link is here.

I've come to the conclusion that ebikes are never going to be as powerful as a combustion engine and so I'd quite like to see the law changed to allow for low powered engined bikes. If this where to happen then engine designers would have the incentive to make even more specialized compact and quieter engines for bicycles.

So if you'd like a filthy little moped then there's a petition over here:

Petition to: change the registration laws to exempt motorised bicycles. | Number10.gov.uk
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

but i think the reason we are on and electric pedelec site is we want an electric bike,once you move onto one of them "trap your bits in the bare chain" bikes you are getting into the speed game, if you had one of them then you would move up to the next and the next thus losing track of why you got an electric bike to start with...i think a lot get an electric bike so they can get back to riding a bike with assistance as they have gone the motorised way, either car or motor bike, and are unfit enough to ride a bike without getting to work unfit to work, a few recently have sold their e-bikes because they have regained fitness.....others like me because i want a bike but i want to have help in the wind or up hill.....and then there is cost too, the idea of electric bike is to not have insurance,M.O.T., licence.....although the initial cost is high the savings are made afterwards in health...and then money...of course these are only my views not nesesarrily anyone elses..as my spelling proves...:eek:

Footie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2007
Cornwall. PL27
I suspect the bike in question has a 2-stroke engine?
I don't know about bicycles with engines but I do know that from next year 2-stroke equipment is to be banned from use by UK Councils for grounds work, leaf blowers, strimmers, etc - all part of the effort to limit climate change.
I suspect eventually all 2 stoke engines will be outlawed. So not much point in supporting something that is already dead but doesn't know it :eek:

The Maestro

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2008
Why would they change the law to allow that when they won't even allow electric bikes above 250W ? If I had to choose between a 250W e-bike or a 250W combustion engine bike I'd go for the e-bike every time.

In any case a high power illegal e-bike can put out moped type power pretty easily.

tenderbehind

Pedelecer
Oct 31, 2008
I, too would think it's a 2 stroke and 2 stroke marine ouboards cannot be bought new now. I would think it's very noisy, but it does appear to have pedals so you could still get some exercie with it.
MOT, insurance, tax liable, I have signed the petition, but until and if these become excempt from all that then the e bike if by far and away the best choice; quieter, cheaper probably, probably lighter.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Why would they change the law to allow that when they won't even allow electric bikes above 250W ? If I had to choose between a 250W e-bike or a 250W combustion engine bike I'd go for the e-bike every time.

In any case a high power illegal e-bike can put out moped type power pretty easily.
Same here, the two stroke is cheaper to buy but it needs a lot more servicing and I'd have to keep it outside with my other motorbike.

wibble

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2008
Okay, thanks for your input, gang!

So it's looking like the 250W limit is the problem. Because right now even if they were to allow for non insured/taxed mopeds they still wouldn't be able to climb those hills because of the imposed 250W limit.

Well that's just not good, is it..

Maybe they should ban steep hills then?

Anybody caught making a steep hill should be fined and locked up. But if you wish to make a ski slope then you may apply for a license.

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
Also thank Europe for the power assist limit at 15.5 mph. Britain originally fixed it here at 12 mph.

im not thanking europe at all,reason for getting rid of my small wheel electric bikes was i could pedel assist fine at 12.5mph but not 15.5mph....and no way was i going to pedal assist at a lower speed then then throttle only...:mad:

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
Looks like the exhaust might keep your feet warm though :D

good point barnowl....no more frostbitten toes..:)

may have lost parts of my body caught in the uncovered chain in parts however..:eek:

Mandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2007
Sorry didn't like it either :(
What's not been mentioned also is the use we have on our e-bikes on cycle ways and shared paths.
I kind of think this sort of bike would not be welcome there :D
Whilst I rode scooters for years and enjoyed them, I really like the freedom of where you can ride on a pedelec and don't have to think of where you can't ride, apart from a motorway of course :D
And of course the cheapness of running and the keeping fit aspect is a definite plus!
Regards