Motorhome, Dog Trailer & Europe

Katherine Clune

Just Joined
Jul 8, 2017
Hants
Started our investigations and one of our issues is the 21 kilo hound we have. Whilst he can run alongside, where safe, for a couple of Km, we will want to tow a dog trailer for some of our trips and also when we are visiting towns. We are travelling a lot in a largish motorhome, so e-bikes and trailer need to be relatively light ... we have up to 80 kilos to play with.
We also spend up to 10 months a year travelling in Europe, so a brand with a Euro dealer / servicing network would make sense.

My questions are:
1). How will towing affect the battery life? Has anyone any experience of it? I'm pretty fit so don't anticiapte having to go into top assist unless really steep. 50km trips seems a reasonable goal.
2). Can anyone recommend a solid / safe collapsible dog trailer?
3). We changed our motorhome to one with a European dealer network as we had problems getting repairs and parts in Euroland for our old British built one. Which of the e-bike brands have a solid Euro presence? Or are the e-bike parts / repairs ubiquitous?
4). We will be travelling to Holland and Germany from next week. Does anyone know if it is cheaper to buy over there given the longer and bigger presence?
5). Has anyone any experience of charging batteries off a sine wave invertor?

Many thanks in anticipation,
Katherine

JohnnyGM7LSI

Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2016
Elgin Moray
Started our investigations and one of our issues is the 21 kilo hound we have. Whilst he can run alongside, where safe, for a couple of Km, we will want to tow a dog trailer for some of our trips and also when we are visiting towns. We are travelling a lot in a largish motorhome, so e-bikes and trailer need to be relatively light ... we have up to 80 kilos to play with.
We also spend up to 10 months a year travelling in Europe, so a brand with a Euro dealer / servicing network would make sense.

My questions are:
1). How will towing affect the battery life? Has anyone any experience of it? I'm pretty fit so don't anticiapte having to go into top assist unless really steep. 50km trips seems a reasonable goal.
2). Can anyone recommend a solid / safe collapsible dog trailer?
3). We changed our motorhome to one with a European dealer network as we had problems getting repairs and parts in Euroland for our old British built one. Which of the e-bike brands have a solid Euro presence? Or are the e-bike parts / repairs ubiquitous?
4). We will be travelling to Holland and Germany from next week. Does anyone know if it is cheaper to buy over there given the longer and bigger presence?
5). Has anyone any experience of charging batteries off a sine wave invertor?

Many thanks in anticipation,
Katherine
I charge mine off of the motorhome pure sine wave inverter, never had any problems.

Reactions: Katherine Clune

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
You will feel the trailer on acceleration and especially braking. 21 kg is about average for a trailer load of shopping for me you will be fine. 50 km sounds reasonable.

You want a trailer with quick detach wheels like on wheelchairs. The IKEA one might do the job even though they say no kids, no animals. It is very light for stowing away after use. Unfortunately no use for me because her hunk of Labrador is much closer to 40 kg... :eek: otherwise I would have had a photo.

Reactions: Katherine Clune