Moulton F frame + cyclone kit

Tinker

Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2010
SA39
I was wondering if anyone has tried fitting one of the Cyclone kits onto a old Moulton Frame. Obviously apart from the frame the rest would be built from new(ish) parts.
Any ideas welcome.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
I fitted a kit to my old Moulton MK3 here

If you like small wheeled bikes they make great candidates being suspended both ends :p

I have since taken it off though as this is my local shopping bike and more fun unassisted.

Regards

Jerry

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Ah did not realise which kit the Cyclone kit was but just checked and see its a crank drive kit.

Not sure how well that would work on an old F frame Moulton especially trying to fit it around that area with all the suspension rear fork assembly.

This is the only other F Frame conversion I have seen which was obviously done some while ago :eek:

A front hub motor conversion like the one shown in my pic is probably the easiest.

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

Tinker

Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2010
SA39
The front-hub conversion on the blue bike reminds me of the old velosolex i used to own funny enough the reason I'm considering a Moulton is that I used to have a Raleigh Wisp moped and I fancy a crank-drive in order to use a 4 gear hub (speed isn't a priority)

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Does it not effect the steering Jerry :)
Not on the Red one shown. The Tonxin motor is only 2kg.

The blue one is not mine it from the Moulton Yahoo forum photos.

Regards

Jerry

Orraman

Pedelecer
May 4, 2008
Tinker,

Many moons ago I lashed a Cyclone double freewheel motor to a recumbent and was more than pleased with the speed and power.
I then considered fitting a similar motor to either a Cresswell Fold-It or a Moulton Standard 4 speed.
The advantage with the clockwise double freewheel motor is that the original cranks could be used if there is space.

There are 16 teeth on both freewheels giving a diameter of about 70mm, the sprockets are 10mm centre distance.
So I recon it is doable with some chain misalignment.

The gearbox is square and 90mm across.
Gearbox flange to rear of motor is 110mm.
Flange to centre of inside freewheel sprocket is 25mm.

With a single freewheel motor you would need a freewheel on the chainring but there need be no chain misalignment and I believe
that 14 tooth sprockets are normal for these motors but check.
Do be aware that motors up to 350W use the same casing but the 500w is longer. Given measurements are for the smaller motors.

If I can be of any help?

Dave