Moulton - lightweight conversion

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Been there done that almost three years ago, using a narrow 80mm width 1.9kg Tongxin.

Click on images for larger sizing.

Small 5-7 mile 1.2Ah battery in the triangular bag. With this config i.e. motor plus battery it adds just 3kg to the weight of bike bringing it to a total of 15kg.

Or a front bag and any size battery you want.

Ready to carry.

Close up of my radial lacing

Man I should have done an article for that mag three years ago sigh...

All that said the ARCC assist is a much more neat/technical solution than mine. I wonder how much they charge ?

Jerry

Last edited:

leccyapb

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 27, 2014
They want to sell complete bikes for about 3 grand, very expensive, but beautifully designed and crafted.

As for me, I can't afford that, but I'd like to convert my Moulton APB with the biggest motor I can fit in the front wheel [bad back, hilly area] for as little cash as possible. I'm not into electronics, I'd like an off the shelf battery [although it doesn't look straightforward to find space for a decent size battery due to the frame design, and I'd rather not have the weight at the rear], but I'm willing and able to do a bit of engineering if necessary.

Any advice re motors which would fit etc would be very welcome.

Ronnie

Last edited:

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Ronnie you will find it hard to fit any motor wider than 80mm into the front forks without considerable modification, because the front fork suspension link arrangement will fowl the motor.This pretty much means you are restricted to a Tongxin motor. I think this may work and meet your requirements providing you don't want to speed up hills and are prepared to put in about 1/3 of assistance when required. You will need a large enough battery to climb up all those hills. I would guess the battery would be best mounted on a rear carrier to offset the weight at the front.

Depends what you mean by cheap, but battery will set you back at least £200 and a Tongxin kit about £250 depending on if you build the wheel or buy it ready laced with the motor in it.

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:
Reactions: trex

leccyapb

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 27, 2014
Thanks for the advice Jerry. I was looking at the MXUS XF07 motor as supplied by Cyclotricity. I've requested a dimensioned drawing so I can work out whether it will fit. Is there a local supplier for the Tongxin kit?

Btw, what do you think of Arccinnovations' use of the 36v 4ah Bosch powertool batteries? Seems quite neat; would they work with a kit controller?
They're available for about £200 for a pair including a charger.

Ronnie