My bike is too hard

rosjen

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2008
After 800 miles (ish), i am finding my bike to be a bit jarring as I hit speed bumps for over 1.5 miles of my daily commute. I have always been a fan of stiff frame set-ups but that was before I maintained a good average speed. I also went off-road tonight for the first time -what fun, the temptation not to pedal becomes almost too much:) Anyway, I got caught in a bike worn rut that almost got the better of me - at that point I thought suspension would have helped me get out of there - I am correct?

My dear old GT is 20 years old now and the efit feels like it is taking a toll on it so I am thinking of replacing it with a good full suspension bike and fitting my kit to it. What do you guys think, recommendations, etc?

cheers
rob

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Schwalbe Big apple tyres?

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
I had big apples on my first 26" ebike conversion and it made a big difference to comfort :p

I would put them on my 16" EBrompton but the 16" ones are too wide :(

Regards

Jerry

rosjen

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2008
Big apples eh, I might just give them a go, the travel contacts are not great this time of year what with all the wet leaves and soon ice.

cheers

JohnD

Pedelecer
Feb 8, 2010
another vote for big apples - watch the clearance though - the 60 profile really do balloon the 50's seem a good compromise

:)

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Plus a question mark for more suspension. I've got a Wisper 905se, not a full suspension bike by any means, but the front forks are supposed to be pretty good. And although they DO dampen some smaller ruts and bumps, across the battlegrounds of NW London they are hopeless. (It might be worse without them, I suppose, but it's pretty darned jerky and bumpy WITH them).

Are the Big Apple tyres puncture resistant? If so, I might join up to them, too!

Allen.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
They do have a Kevlar liner and some members who use them claim them to have a very low puncture rate. The softness probably helps, surface deflecting is a good method for minimising sharp object penetration.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Plus a question mark for more suspension. I've got a Wisper 905se, not a full suspension bike by any means, but the front forks are supposed to be pretty good. And although they DO dampen some smaller ruts and bumps, across the battlegrounds of NW London they are hopeless. (It might be worse without them, I suppose, but it's pretty darned jerky and bumpy WITH them).

Are the Big Apple tyres puncture resistant? If so, I might join up to them, too!

Allen.
I ran Big Apples on a 905, they absorb the smaller bumps that the suspension doesn't and make the ride much smoother.
They have the puncture lining in it but like most puncture resistant tyres that doesn't mean a lot, I've had loads of punctures in in them.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent

Allen.
Hi Allen

The RST forks on your bike are usually superb, a different class to the zoom suspension and many others on the market, have you tried adjusting them?

Regards

David

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Hi Allen

The RST forks on your bike are usually superb, a different class to the zoom suspension and many others on the market, have you tried adjusting them?

Regards

David
Hello David.

Didn't know you could - the manual doesn't say why or how, unless I missed that bit!

Allen.
PS
(And I haven't forgotten our proposed meet - just too busy to travel far at present).

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Allen

If you go to our website and look under Support, Manuals, and then find 905se Sport and City S front fork suspension. You will find the manual.

There would have been a printed manual on the forks in the tool box too.

Best regards

David

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
I've downloaded the new (2010) edition, as I couldn't find any reference in the one that came with the bike, and I'm afraid I can't find any reference in the new edition, either!

Can you point me to the right page?

I've tried searching for 'front fork', 'suspension', and so on, but to no avail...

Allen.

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Thanks Anton.

David: there ARE some useful bits in the instruction leaflet that Anton managed to find, but as they involve stripping down the front forks completely after every 4 weeks riding, I shall wait, patiently, for you to tell me the easy way, and where I can find it in the new Wisper manual!

Allen.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Allen

The Manual Anton found was on our web site as I described yesterday. (Thanks Anton!)

We don't reproduce the RST manual in our Wisper manuals to avoid duplication or error.

If you look at page 5 in the RST manual it will tell you how to make the adjustments.

Basically the adjustment is achieved by turning the red anodised nob on the top of the forks on the right. If you turn it anticlockwise it will make the ride harder until eventually the suspension is locked and visa versa.

All the best

David

Last edited: