My bike just got faster

rustic

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2008
North Essex
I've just been down to the post office in our village on my bike. With just a couple of pedal rotations to get going I was straight on the throttle and the speedo registered a pretty consistent 18mph. I assumed this was due to a slight downhill, but on the return journey I averaged about 17mph.

Might this be the 'warmer' weather having an impact? - most of my previous riding has been on & around the snow. Seems a bit odd to me.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Batteries are severely affected by very cold weather, so it could be the milder conditions are producing the improvement.

neilmeansneil

Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2010
Having just taken my new Alien GS2 out for its second spin but the first with a speedo, it also hit 18mph on the flat. Not gone far but first impressions are generally positive.
The key factor for me was frame size, having test rode a Wisper 905 sport which rode well but was too small for me (6'1"), the Alien Fits very well giving a more stretched riding position.
Will post a review when having finishing playing.

Neil

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
the Alien chap mentions as a selling point the fact that frames are larger and more suited for taller folk.

Bear in mind his core market is probably Scotland where people are taller anyway (it seems to be the way for colder areas...)

neilmeansneil

Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2010
Although I said it suits my height, I've got the seat pin 5" out below the rubber gaiter, so maybe 4'10" is pushing it, 5'6" should be OK

rustic

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2008
North Essex
I'm 6'5" & the decent frame size was certainly a few inches larger than most competitors and proved a major selling point for me, I too reluctantly decided against the Wisper 905 for exactly this reason.

Having said that, I still would like the frame to be a little larger & would prefer 700c wheels rather than the 26" ones supplied. I have the saddle raised to the absolute maximum & have had the handlebars raised by a few inches. I would think someone of around 5'6" would find the bike an ok size.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Little Wispers

Don't forget guys that the new Wisper 906Alpinos will be available for test rides next month, they have C700 wheels and a larger frame.

906Alpino 2 100.jpg

All the best

David

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There is a major problem with all your new range of bikes David.

The only solution to it that I can see is to buy one of each.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
If only Flecc....... if only!!! :D

The truth is, the bigger players are coming onto the market now as we knew they would. Raleigh, Giant and many more will be pushing hard to gain market share this year. IMO the only way smaller independents like Wisper will survive is to make better bikes, give better service and to offer a wider range.

Introducing all these new models has been expensive though! Wisper does not have any loans, overdrafts or open invoices at all so the expansion is keeping us very poor!

Best regards

David