My first Electric Bike - help please

ViVD

Just Joined
Sep 14, 2011
Hi,
I have just purchased my first electric bike. It is an old Oxygen Atala, I bought it from Ebay. It sort of works - but I am really not sure what to expect, I found a link to it: Oxygen Atala Lepton but the company stopped making them some years ago.

I am getting some assistance with pedaling, but not sure what level of assistance I have selected. There is a 'boost' setting - the light comes on but nothing extra happens, twisting right-hand grip does nothing.

The 4 batteries seem to be charging each reading 12v.

Can anyone give me any advice?

Thank you.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Unfortunately the same very poor e-bikes keep getting bought on ebay, then sold back through ebay once it's realised they are dud. This is yet another of the very poor machines that the Italians designed and produced long ago, and this is what the very experienced A to B said about it:

Oxygen Atala

Price: From £695 Rating: 1/5 Verdict: "Hopeless bike, but sexy photography"
Oh dear oh dear. It's almost beyond belief that a machine this poor could have made it on to the market, but here it is - Italian with US characteristics. Without dwelling too long in this dreary place, the Oxygen is over-weight, over-priced, unstable, under-powered and much else besides. In the test, we summed up by saying '...the wrong sort of motor, drawing too much power from the wrong sort of batteries, mounted in the wrong place...', which just about covers it. Still, the Italians are very good at photographing attractive young ladies, so we must forgive them.
We have tested the Oxygen Atala once, and will almost certainly never return.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

So you may conclude it's not worth spending and trying to get any useful life from it.

Sorry to be such a bearer of bad news, but it's best to be honest about it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

Sounds like all it needs is some decent batteries to make it spring to life - like the Aprillia Enjoy. As long as the motor's ok, which it probably is, a set of 36v lithium batteries will probably make it perform like you'd want it to - or more!

Oxygen Bicycles

Trade Member
Feb 18, 2010
www.oxygenbicycles.com
Well, we still do get people ringing us about the Atala range (actually problems associated with them). When setting up Oxygen we had no idea there was another brand called Oxygen too. As far as we know the Italian company went bust but the bad name of Atala is still there :(

Andrew

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It was long ago Andrew, and I've previously made it clear there is no connection with your company. Fortunately there are very few of these old Italian bikes around since, like Aprilia, they quickly realised their bikes were too poor to compete in the market, both companies quickly withdrawing them and abandoning e-bike manufacture altogether.

Tara

Pedelecer
Aug 13, 2011
Torbay, South Devon
Hi,
I have just purchased my first electric bike. It is an old Oxygen Atala, I bought it from Ebay. It sort of works - but I am really not sure what to expect, I found a link to it: Oxygen Atala Lepton but the company stopped making them some years ago.

I am getting some assistance with pedaling, but not sure what level of assistance I have selected. There is a 'boost' setting - the light comes on but nothing extra happens, twisting right-hand grip does nothing.

The 4 batteries seem to be charging each reading 12v.

Can anyone give me any advice?

Thank you.

Aw, OP....(hugs)

Did you pay much for the bike? I'm wondering if you have spent a just smallish amount, it would be worth spending a bit to get the bike working properly??

The other alternative is to put it back on ebay, and start afresh....(depressing I know, but it could be the best option)

I'm new to leccy biking too, and mine (a used trike) arrived last Thurs - I spent many many hours researching models until I knew their specs by memory :(
I live in a hilly area and needed a motor with plenty of poke to pull my lardy bum up the hills! It took me many weeks of searching to know what was right for me, but you do get there in the end :)
(If it helps, I was tempted by a brand new dinky little white model that looked really cool - it had a rubbish motor though and I would have only got around on the flat :( By getting help on here and picking the brains of some really helpful folks, I saved myself over £1000 in heartache)

Tara

ViVD

Just Joined
Sep 14, 2011
Unfortunately the same very poor e-bikes keep getting bought on ebay, then sold back through ebay once it's realised they are dud. This is yet another of the very poor machines that the Italians designed and produced long ago, and this is what the very experienced A to B said about it:

Oxygen Atala

Price: From £695 Rating: 1/5 Verdict: "Hopeless bike, but sexy photography"
Oh dear oh dear. It's almost beyond belief that a machine this poor could have made it on to the market, but here it is - Italian with US characteristics. Without dwelling too long in this dreary place, the Oxygen is over-weight, over-priced, unstable, under-powered and much else besides. In the test, we summed up by saying '...the wrong sort of motor, drawing too much power from the wrong sort of batteries, mounted in the wrong place...', which just about covers it. Still, the Italians are very good at photographing attractive young ladies, so we must forgive them.
We have tested the Oxygen Atala once, and will almost certainly never return.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

So you may conclude it's not worth spending and trying to get any useful life from it.

Sorry to be such a bearer of bad news, but it's best to be honest about it.
Hi,
Thanks for the reply. I was starting to suspect it was not a very good bike. But I cannot afford a new one at the moment so it will have to do until I save up some more.

ViVD

Just Joined
Sep 14, 2011
Sounds like all it needs is some decent batteries to make it spring to life - like the Aprillia Enjoy. As long as the motor's ok, which it probably is, a set of 36v lithium batteries will probably make it perform like you'd want it to - or more!
Hi,
Looking at the other replies - it seems this is not a very good bike, but I bought it fairly cheaply. Not worth spending loads of money on batteries, I think it will have to do for now.

ViVD

Just Joined
Sep 14, 2011
Hi Tara,
I didn't spend too much, I would have preferred to buy a new bike, but not enough money around. It looks like this is not a very good bike but it does give me some help up the hills. It looks like it is a bit of a mine field when it comes to the choice in electric bikes. I will have to do more research next time!

Viv

Tara

Pedelecer
Aug 13, 2011
Torbay, South Devon
Hi Tara,
I didn't spend too much, I would have preferred to buy a new bike, but not enough money around. It looks like this is not a very good bike but it does give me some help up the hills. It looks like it is a bit of a mine field when it comes to the choice in electric bikes. I will have to do more research next time!

Viv
You have much more choice than I did, as I wanted a trike and there are far fewer of those about.

I was interested in a few used ones on ebay, but when I asked questions about the batteries, the sellers went quiet and didn't reply. As batteries can cost £300 each and more, potentially, it would be easy to buy a bike and have to shell out quite a bit shortly after.

I found some lovely brand new two wheelers online, and priced very fairly too (the bad weather will be upon us soon, and price reductions should appear too)

Maybe post on here what you expect from the bike (distance to travel approx / hilly terrain to cover / weight of bike etc) and folks can help to guide you?

I bought my trike from another poster, so who knows what's out there for you :)

Tara

squimlet

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 14, 2011
I do hope that you can get it sorted soon. I am sure you will enjoy it whatever the outcome though :)