My motor still assists at 19mph?

CCebiker

Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2024
Ok so I'm not complaining but trying to understand this. I have the Wisper 806 torque model, that I got certified for use with throttle only (L1e I think it's called?)

Anyway, I got it cause I have mobility issues, but yesterday I was feeling particularly good and so on a long flat straight road home I was pedalling pretty hard (for me) and I was at 19mph with level 5 assist, no throttle use. I could still hear the motor kicking in when I pedalled although not with the same amount of boost as it maybe was earlier. I'd have to test this again to feel it.

I thought the motor was supposed to totally stop giving any assistance after 15.5mph? If I use throttle-only, it does max out at 15.5mph. I haven't tried max throttle plus pedalling yet apart from up a very steep hill near me, but that was about 10mph max.

I'm just curious cause I'm not really interested in going fast, but I was super cold last night and trying to warm up and get home asap.

Thanks!

CCebiker

Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2024
I was looking at the attached screen that came with the bike at the time, while freewheeling then pedalling again to confirm that the motor was coming on, and it said 19.5mph. My Garmin watch app (GPS) says I was going 31kmph on that stretch of a road so I think that's about right.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I rekon it's a false impression. You should test again, preferably you should do the test with the bike on a stand or ask someone to help lifting up the rear motor wheel while you spin the cranks by hand.

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

CCebiker

Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2024
I rekon it's a false impression. You should test again, preferably you should do the test with the bike on a stand or ask someone to help lifting up the rear motor wheel while you spin the cranks by hand.
To listen for the motor coming on? Or something else?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Questions about how to restrict bikes makes a nice change. IIRC This is the second time in three years I've seen a post about a Wisper bike going faster than 15.5mph - do other 806 owners simply keep quiet about it, while they sell by the lorryload and win awards?

CCebiker

Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2024
I posted this to check if it was some kind of gradual decrease in assist allowed or to do with the L1e thing. But if no one is saying that this is within the norm, and I confirm it is happening on my bike, this post will vanish and I'll you'll never hear me talk about it again

But there's no way I was keeping up that bike, with my huge chain lock and my pannier full, at 19mph for nearly a mile, with no motor assist.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
To listen for the motor coming on? Or something else?
It's much easier to detect the transition between assisted and non assisted when you turn the cranks by hand.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I posted this to check if it was some kind of gradual decrease in assist allowed or to do with the L1e thing. But if no one is saying that this is within the norm, and I confirm it is happening on my bike, this post will vanish and I'll you'll never hear me talk about it again
I'm sure @Wisper Bikes will be concerned about this. He was last time.

But there's no way I was keeping up that bike, with my huge chain lock and my pannier full, at 19mph for nearly a mile, with no motor assist.
I recall about 20 to 22mph being a very enjoyable cycling speed, during the brief time my 20" wheeled folding bike was derestricted.

I can pedal at about 18mph after the bike's pedal assistance has cut off at 15.5mph. For me, it's quite hard work maintaining that speed, but it's the only way I ever get any exercise using my bike, thank goodness. The last thing I want from my bike is exercise.

Last edited:

CCebiker

Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2024
It's much easier to detect the transition between assisted and non assisted when you turn the cranks by hand.
Ah ok, thanks. I'll get my husband to try this on his stand. I could definitely hear it coming on but as for how much assistance I was getting, that was just me feeling it. Maybe I'm fitter than I think? Haha

Reactions: Woosh

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Ah ok, thanks. I'll get my husband to try this on his stand. I could definitely hear it coming on but as for how much assistance I was getting, that was just me feeling it. Maybe I'm fitter than I think? Haha
There is actually a +10% tolerance on the allowed top speed, so it's 25 +2.5 km/hr before it becomes illegal. That's 17.08771 mph. I doubt that the police would do anything unless you're over 20 mph without pedalling.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi all,

This has happened before when the wheel size has been altered in the system. Please call us or email support and we will resolve the issue.

All the best, David