My name is Mark and I am an idiot!

Francis Albert

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 19, 2018
Manchester
I made the mistake of telling my wife I wanted an electric bike and she went off and bought me a bike from a private seller that has a 350w motor and a throttle.
It looks amazing and I had it put together by a local bike shop but now I realise I'm not supposed to ride it.
It's from a company called Mate and is the S version.
I haven't ridden for a few years due to 3 knee ops and I can't wait to get out but daren't risk it as the consequences would result in job loss.
Question is can I replace this motor with a 250w and disconnec the throttle also in the mean time if I took the battery out can I then at least get out and get the wind in my hair.....it's a heavy bike though.
I'm a bit stuck so any answers will be appreciated

D

Deleted member 4366

You most likely don't need to change anything. Does it have 350w marked on the motor anywhere? If so, how? One thing you do need is the speed restricted to 25km/h, so show us a picture of the control panel. Did they give you a handbook or manual with it?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You most likely don't need to change anything. Does it have 350w marked on the motor anywhere? If so, how? One thing you do need is the speed restricted to 25km/h, so show us a picture of the control panel. Did they give you a handbook or manual with it?
Mark may not even have to worry according to the link below, since the S version is only capable of 20 mph assist, not the usual 28 mph of the S class. It looks to be virtually the same as the two pedelec versions, and as small folders I can't see the police ever getting involved.

Mate e-bikes

Scroll down on this next link and the control panel is clearly shown.

Details

Reactions: Francis Albert

Francis Albert

Mar 19, 2018
Manchester
Thanks for the replies.
350 is stamped on the hub of the motor and there is a big sticker on the frame saying 350.
Think it will assist to 30kph as it is the top s version intended for the US.
I’ll put a couple of pics up tonight when I get home.
It’s a new brand bike from 2017 so cant imagine being able to pass it off as 2016 to get away with the throttle.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks for the replies.
350 is stamped on the hub of the motor and there is a big sticker on the frame saying 350.
Think it will assist to 30kph as it is the top s version intended for the US.
I’ll put a couple of pics up tonight when I get home.
It’s a new brand bike from 2017 so cant imagine being able to pass it off as 2016 to get away with the throttle.
I've posted details above for you, our posts crossed.

D

Deleted member 4366

That's easy then. It's a KT LCD1. There's a user manual here and the speed setting is at the bottom of page 10:
https://matesupport.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005290049-LCD-KT-LCD1-Display-User-Manuals

Google's brilliant. I just typed in KT LCD1 and it took me straight to the link above, which is for the Mate bike. Presumably it knew that I had just been looking at Mate bikes so gave me the correct link instead of one from say BMSBattery.

The only thing now is the question of motor markings.

Reactions: flecc
D

Deleted member 4366

I'd remove any sticker that mentions speed or 350w. If the motor is stamped, it might be a good idea to stick a label over the top of it. It's pretty easy to make your own using this method:

To make the label you need a laser printer or photocopier. 2" wide aluminium tape (DIY shop) and wide selotape.
Design the label on your PC
Print it on normal paper
Fix the aluminium tape directly over the print by tacking it in place with selotape just holding its edges. Leave the backing on for now.
Put it back in the printer and print again. Same if you're using a photocopier.
Now the aluminium should be printed.
Remove it from the paper
Cover the whole thing with wide selotape being careful not to get creases.
Cut to size
Peel off backing and stick on motor.
You can do the same to make a frame label - cheaper than those ones on Ebay

20150116_100127_zps5186d011.JPG

Francis Albert

Mar 19, 2018
Manchester
Thanks a lot for the replies.
I am unsure where to go here as plan 1 is take the thumb throttle off take stickers off and enjoy and hope I don't get stopped or 2 flog it and get something else that's 250.
I just want to kick around,get a bit fitter and enjoy the feeling of being on a bike again as I recently hired bikes in London and Berlin and loved zipping through the streets parking up,taking pics,having a coffee...did loads of miles and thought my knees are ok let's get one!!!
Thanks for the advice....it's a fab site.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You'll be alright Mark, I wouldn't even worry about the throttle. Here's a little of the complex legal background you are probably not aware of.

From when the EAPC UK electric bike regulations came into force in 1983 until 6th April 2015, throttles were completely legal on e-bikes. As a result a large proportion of e-bikes on the road here have throttles so yours will not look in any way out of place.

The law only changed to align with the EU, which was a pity in retrospect since a year later we voted to leave the EU.

There was a time allowance for dealers to get rid of stock, hence the ruling of no throttles on new bikes from January 2016, but all older bikes have "grandfather rights". Since the police wouldn't know one year's e-bikes against another's, I can't see you ever getting bothered on that bike. The short handed police who are struggling to cope have far more important things to do than look for petty technicalities.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
I agree with Flecc, it really isn't an issue. Not only are there 'grandfather rights' but also you are allowed to retro fit a throttle to any EAPC. So you can buy a brand new, of the shelf bike, buy a throttle and fit it yourself. This is because the law does not specifically state that throttles are not on self installed kits. Hence both my bikes, which are conversions, have throttles.
A few weeks ago I was talking to the local PCSO, on his mountain bike, and he was well impressed with mine and wanted one - NOW.

So long as maximum assist speed is 15.5mph and you're not hooning around at 30mph without pedalling, you will be fine.