My new bike... Gocycle

Paul Wrighton

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2018
My signature and my cycling life, just got a whole lot simpler.

I sold my...
KTM Macina 29, Alfine 11 speed, Bosch Intuvia coonsole/motor, Deor disc brakes, fully accesorized!
And my
Converted Btwin Riverside Trek 500, Cyclotricity 500w rear wheel, 36v 11Ah Pannier Battery, associated controller and LED panel, and a two wheel steel trailer

And I mortgaged my soul to buy a Gocgcle G3+ which is a limited edition with very tasty wheels and a a deep green paint job. Still trying to get my head round the cost! (£4,460).

Of course now there's the question of security and how do I pop in to a shop... I'm cultivating a list of shops that might allow my bike in!

It was remarkable how easily I sold the old ebikes... I Guess its the only way to get hold of one

Last edited:
Reactions: flecc
D

Deleted member 33385

It's a shame it doesn't fold smaller - at that size it's probably intended to be convenient for car boots and public transport as opposed to carrying around while shopping. The paint job would probably be ruined by stowing it under a shopping trolley where pushchairs normally hang out. It's great to see something innovative get beyond touting lovely looking concept renderings for years, while not actually getting mass produced... like those deeply irritating Sinclair pedelec teases which always seem to be featured widely in the media, only to absolutely disappear.

Last edited:

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I really like the design of the Gocycle. They do cost a lot, but from all accounts perform very well and need little maintenance. It would be interesting if you keep us updated on your ownership experience.

Paul Wrighton

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2018
... keep us updated on your ownership experience.
This I shall do... note I have begun with my avatar!

I am going to make a new thread for this, given I can bore people to death about this, so my wife says, then I doubt you will be short of content on my "ownership experience" (great term!).

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
And I mortgaged my soul to buy a Gocgcle G3+ which is a limited edition with very tasty wheels and a a deep green paint job. Still trying to get my head round the cost! (£4,460).
I also mortgaged my soul to buy a Specialized Creo Comp Carbon Evo (£5,750 retail, although I did pay a bit less) as well as selling my Carrera Crossfuse and Wisper 905se, I dont regret it for a minute, Like you security is an issue the only shops I visit are cycle shops where the bike can be taken in and the bike lives in the house , I am the one living in the shed after spending that much.

• :D
Reactions: robert44 and flecc
D

Deleted member 33385

I'm cultivating a list of shops that might allow my bike in!
Actually, it does seem to fold small enough to hide in a bike bag and cart around on a folding trolley - I'll be doing this with my ancient BeFanged Dahon Helios P8 (which folds down to about the same size, although a bit thicker) - dodging flying pigs next blue moon when I enter a shop. Folding trolleys are about 1.4kg and can fold very small. If shops can't see that it's a folding bike, they'll ignore it as general luggage... at that price worth considering; you could have bought a very small barn in Wales for that kind of money (not as easily foldable). I wonder how they mitigate motor torque cracking the carbon fiber? The 15.5kg weight is very impressive - my P8 started at 10.7kg and the kit & battery adds just over 12kg = about 23kg. Do you get the advertised 50 miles of range? It's wheels look amazing. Do electric Bromptons fold smaller? With such a good looking bike, I'd be nervous of being mugged. Chuck a GPS tracker on it? You could hunt thieves down and send in a hit squad:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TKSTAR-Tailight-Waterproof-Anti-Theft-GPSLocator-tk906/dp/B01N6LXGYM/

There are smaller GPS trackers you could hide...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 33385

Just under 14kg with my Specialized, Motor only gives out 35nm but with a 48v battery and so little weight it is plenty.
That's very light for a full sized ebike! How many miles do you get with the 6.67Ah battery (320/48) paired with the 35nm torque motor? Seems a good compromise to give decent range.

I avoid muggings by having a unexceptional looking bike and sporting highly distracting bright hi viz.

You can't be too hi viz!

Last edited:

Paul Wrighton

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2018
I'll write with a more detailed review later, but so far I think I'm satisfied, just. It's actually more pokey than I'd ask for in most situations, which surprised me given I had an emtb before.

I'll likely ride eco all the time and use judicious squirts of throttle on certain hills.

Rangewise I'm not getting what they claim, but since I weigh in at the max. 100kg that was never going to happen. I have since read that in low temperature conditions battery range can be as much as halved!! So I'm suspending judgement until the spring and trying to lose weight into the mix!

About to make another thread on temperature questions...

D

Deleted member 33385

Rangewise I'm not getting what they claim
They always overpromise! You geneally have to divide their claimed range by two. I'm expecting about half the 70 to 90 mile range from my Bafang kit.

Around the Peak District about 90 miles on eco and that is with some steep climbs.
That's bloody impressive! At my fitness level I'd consider permanent throttle mode but it's illegal, regretfully removed it from the bike. Maybe I'll get progressively faster, stronger, better with testosterone supplementation, like old "One Ball".

Funinhounslow

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 6, 2017
West London
Congratulations on the Gocycle! I’ve had mine - a GS - for just over three years and it’s been wonderful. I’ve noticed a few more “out and about” recently and they all seem to be the fast folding GXs.

I use mine all year round - its geometry and those fat tyres really inspire confidence in autumn and winter.

I see you have another thread going about locks - I have the Gocycle lock which integrates well into the frame in its holder. But to be honest I would be extremely uncomfortable leaving the bike unattended in London where I could not keep an eye on it. It attracts attention to say the least!

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
If I were you, I wouldn't dream of leaving your bike unattended. I have nightmares about leaving my bike anywhere and it's not even a 3rd of the price of yours lol. It's a great looking bike with good performance by the sounds of it - enjoy!