My new build

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Hello my little pedelec chums,
Update on the progress of my bike. After a hectic work day I raced my bike home from Solihull to Birmingham city centre where at the salon they had taken delivery of my new rear wheel from Kudo's bikes on this forum.

The lovely ladies appreciated me strolling in while giving beauty therapies to be greater by me sweating my unassisted knackers off and trying to collect a large box.

There great people though and welcomes me to collect it. I'll get them something tomorrow for their kindness. The better half gets quite a few treatments there.

Anyway back on track after lugging the box to my apartment Andrew of the forum rang me to collect the bafang bpm. Great to meet you finally by the way. As detailed any problems you can have the money back and I'll help anyway I can.

So back up stairs open the box and well here it is ...

Box was a bit battered but next day delivery so canning complain. Top notch to your lads Dave!

The wheel and motor. All in black, very stealthy can't wait to get it up on the bike.

700c motor so a good 36v will provide around 190 rpm slow wind. So take note eddio and indalo you can finally pipe down and get off your legal soap boxes.
I'm just kinding I love you really.

Disc compatible. Looks great in black with black rim and spokes.
All runs true and free wheeling is good.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011

The bolts, torque washers and rain covers. Even some rim tap thrown in. Thank you

you.

Wheel and motor weight just under 5 kilo. Not the most accurate but you get the idea.

So there we have it. My new light weight geared rear motor setup. I intend to use this on my Marin as soon as I finish my holiday next week and want some little assistance on the hills. I've really enjoyed the larger motors but I was pushing it to far and I prefer the additional travel time and loosing more weight is important.

Dont get me wrong the bpm is super fun but it lost it's way of being a bicycle. I just want this setup to be a hill helper as I'm perfectly capable of riding up them my self. So much so today I beat two lycras on my own accord and past some city riders up a large hill no worries.

Very happy and for £112 next day delivery it's actually online with china prices of your buying direct from china.

All in all thanks very much. If your short of parts I recommend them as I even got a couple courtesy calls to double check my specs.

Happy days

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
Great info ScottyF - am I right in thinking you also have a Lyen mini monster controller? if so, what kind of amps are you thinking of putting through it?

If (more like when) my Tongxin goes pop I reckon Kudos will be getting some of my hard earned - great UK service so I'd only be out of action for a few of days .

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Unsure at the moment to be honest.
It wont be as high as 30 amps that I was chucking at the BPM.

I'll probably set it around the 18amp limit. Maybe a little bit less as I don't want it doing all the work.
What I'm looking to do is actually change it so I get a hideous amount of range by setting it to low amp's and only using it on hills.

I know this defeats some of the original purpose of an ebike but as the weather gets better and I have a couple of holidays I'd like to shed a good 5 kilo of weight for summer.

I'm not going to do that on the bpm.

I almost think that with electric bikes you almost need a big motor to start with and then work downwards as you get fitter.

The past couple of weeks I've been riding unassisted no worries and enjoying it more than when i've been power wheeling the BPM. I think its the self satisfaction of acheving something on your own accord. Sounds daft and takes more time. But even in the short weeks i've lost a good amount of weight and legs are fine.

Still I've has a bike that will climb any hill to the point of it being as quick as a scooter. Without the heavier frame and brakes... To back down to a light weight assistance build.

The motor and wheel in the flesh look fantastic and much better than my first 250w motor from bafang. You can actually see the small improvements they've took as the years have progressed.

Its the price that Kudo's do on these little motors. I know that if you buy bulk out of China you can get them cheaper but for a single buy at £112 next day delivery I can't really fault it. Espcially since the bafangs out of china end up being £117 delivered. Unlaced..etc.

I jsut wanted something light

FJJ

Pedelecer
Feb 7, 2011
West Lothian
Looks really good Scottyf - I've just asked them for a price for a motor too - would like to have both a spare and a better rim - seems like a good option to kill two birds with one stone...

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Hello Amigafan,
I sold it for £40 laced to Andrew of the forum who came to mine to collect it.

It will be useful for someone for parts and still works as it should but could do with a new bearing on the cage but generally it never missed a beat. I retired it though becasue I wasn't getting enough excercise and wanted something slightly lighter.

I could have just carried on using it or kept as a spare. But I have no reason to just have it hanging round the apartment and I'd rather sell it to someone that will.

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
Did Kudos give you a choice of RPM Scotty?

I'd be interested in the 201rpm motor in a 700cc wheel.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
The 201 rpm would be the 26inch motor laced in a 700c wheel.

To be honest I didn't ask for a specific wind becasue I knew they would be all legal winds anyway.
I've sure if you asked the team nicely you could specify. However there may be additional cost.

If I for example wanted a faster wound motor i'd pick on of the bikes with 20 inch wheels and then replace it myself. It would still be on par cost wise with BMS battery.

I'm also not sure what their legal stance would be on knowing they have supplied you a motor with a faster wind. But then again. Its not illegal to sell the parts.

I personally don't mind what wind as I have a flexible controller that can range from 24v to 100v by changing a few settings on the controller on my pc.

However I know If I want to push the speed I could easiely configure my battery to 66v and drop the amp limit and still hit 30mph. But if I was sticking to that I would have just kept using the BPM motor.

On reading though the little 250w motors are generally reliable at 44v 20amp if you want that extra 5mph and decent hill climbing. But again its not what I am after.

Just lots of free wheeling and my own strength. With the option should I feel I need it to extend my range or go up a gradient faster than 8mph.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Hello All again,
I'm 27, its a Friday night. I go on holiday soon. An what am I doing... Building and buying parts for a bicycle. I'm starting to think there is something wrong with me.

Anyway I showed the poor little bike a bit of love since i've generally riden it into the ground replacing parts when they've broken.

Anyway tonight I brought and fitted the following parts :-

34T to 13T Rear sproket to the New Bafang wheel
New LH Crank (In black) since i bent my old one
Specialized Expedition gel saddle
New Shimano Chain
Extended and fitted bulkier phase wires to the Bafang motor
New Marathon plus tyre
Well go alloy peddles

Here's some pictures.

Last edited:

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
First ride was this morning.
I've set the controller on 12amp although its currently hitting 16amp on hills with 30 amp phase.
So might need turning down a little.

Really smooth and you can't hear it at that amperage. Well up to about 5mph but its super light and smooth. The free wheel ability is as good as my standard none assisted wheel and hope this build is a bit more professional and water tight.

The way the weather is at the moment All the additional waterproofing I've done with cables and innter tubes etc are not really needed but i'm happy.

I only use the throttle to speed me up hills a bit quicker now.
Which means I now only carry 5ah of battery on my commute to work.

I must admit because of the Lipo only being in 6s multiples (22.2v blocks) i'm having to over volt it slightly.

So based on the standard calcs of a 700c wind at 15mph thats 190rpm for it being legal. Mine probably runs more at 234rpm no load. Probably close to 18-19mph but if anything that helps me on hills because i pedal none assisted at 8-9mph and this when it winds down to hill climbing speed it more suited to my standard clib speed.

I'm happy anyway and its offering a light weight build, decent range (as I can make up a 20ah battery at 44v giving in theory 55miles at 16watts per mile). And a peak climbing wattage of 720w.

Which is probably a little on the high side of the little bafang but its coping fine for now.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Its not a scatch on the bpm for climbing ability and raw power. But what it seems to lack in power it makes up for in silence and smoothness. Its actually better than my old front bafang I used to have about a year ago. Its quieter and the clutch appears to be better.

But time will tell.

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
Hmm - sorely tempted to get a front wheel off Kudos just to compare it to the Tongxin.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
I don't think there will be much in it to be honest. Other than the gears being a bit strong and a little more robust. They should be able to take peaks of about 1000w as there limit.

But they would probably burn up if you just pull that constantly use them at that wattage.

I believe you can safely hit 600w and not worry much about them at all...
But I get to toy around with it since I invested in a programable controller.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
I was pulling 1Kw through mine for a while but they get noisy at this power and I'm not sure how long the gears would last at that rate. I have one motor set to 18amps which it seems happy with and on my other bike the Alien I'm in low power mode at 12amps max....quiet and stealthy at this level...

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
NRG what settings did you use on the software to get the 12amp's I wouldn't mind adjusting mine to get to that level.

It might be becasue i've set the phase amps a bit higher than I should really.

With a solid 600w though you can pretty much climb most things at a decent cycle rate. Least compared to your own leg power.

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
Scotty - an important setting on the Lyen is to set the block time to 0.1s if you actually want the amp limit to be true. If you set it for say 1s then for that one second it will pull as many amps as it can and when the 1s expires then it imposes the amp limit.

Rule of thumb is phase amps = 2.5 x battery amps.

Also, the setting in the software is often way different from what the battery actually sees - for example I had to set 7.4amps to get an actual battery limit of 12.2amps.

I use the xpd parameter designer software as it has more granularity - Endless-sphere.com • View topic - XPD: open-source keywin e-bike lab replacement

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Yes, typically the setting can be about 5amps or so out so to get 12 I had to program 7 on my controller. the 2.5x battery current for phase is the recommend safe maximum, you may want to try it lower than this. I agree about the block time its worth experimenting though to see the effect it has when riding...