My new favourite battery

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Specs on a sticker look very impressive. UK or EU supplier ? or did you import from China yourself?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Can a battery be illegal?
Its application can be. An EAPC is limited to a rated maximum of 48 volts by the low voltage directive. That battery is labelled 52 volts, which is effectively the claimed rating, so illegal on an EU or UK pedelec.

However 48volt batteries all charge to 52 volts maximum anyway, so only the label needs changing to read 48 volts and be compliant.

AntonyC

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2022
Surrey
AIUI that rated 48V limit stems from wanting to keep the charger voltage below the SELV threshold of 60V (so both 13S and 14S/52V batteries should qualify if rated 48V). However EN 15194 4.2.4 refers to the Low Voltage Directive, not SELV, and Low Voltage is sometimes given as 75V to 1500V DC. Presumably differing limits have been defined for European and UK SELV and LV...?

harrys

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 1, 2016
Chicago, USA
Sorry to be a grinch. Is it a sturdy frame bag? I think the vulnerability in these triangle batteries is that their weight makes them prone to damage if the battery falls off the bike.

Unit Pack Power Triangle packs are now banned from sale in both the UK and USA because of fires (seven reported in USA). When I would read the reviews in Amazon, a common complaint was that the straps tore off in the frame bag.

Voltsnamps

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 27, 2023
What would you need such massive and illegal battery for?
pictures may be deceiving, it’s actually the “small “ triangle , fits most hardtail mtb’s and duallies of 10 years ago
Here it is in my Kona hardtail, didn’t mean to be arty but flash shows the be seen be safe reflective stripe, peer past that for battery.
illegal,? Not where I am, other posters question the uk rules, I won’t be there till June so not really relevant to me. For others whose local bobby demand 13S battery, same size can be bought so configured.
If you meant capacity, I’d have thought that obvious, RANGE, think multi day trip through Wales or Scotland, not commuting or going out for Sunday ride.
I’ve taken 2 (13S) x 720watters and only just made last orders, this is more for less weight. Hope that helps

Sorry to be a grinch. Is it a sturdy frame bag? I think the vulnerability in these triangle batteries is that their weight makes them prone to damage if the battery falls off the bike.

Unit Pack Power Triangle packs are now banned from sale in both the UK and USA because of fires (seven reported in USA). When I would read the reviews in Amazon, a common complaint was that the straps tore off in the frame bag.
AFAIK, all UPP triangle bats are hard case, at least all those I’ve seen in real life and on the net. I prefer soft but take your own choice by all means. This bag is proper tough, picture in first post shows huge velcro strap over crossbar, others smaller but very well attached. of course anyone that rides with loose or broken straps may have a problem, likewise their wheels and brakes etc, we used to have bicycle maintenance lessons at school, I guess those days are gone, blame the manufacturer.

Specs on a sticker look very impressive. UK or EU supplier ? or did you import from China yourself?
Yes, sent from China but not to uk, I may send one there too, it is too high capacity to fly, I’m thinking of flying my dually for some big trips, possibly sell the battery in September (and fly bike home again )

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
pictures may be deceiving, it’s actually the “small “ triangle , fits most hardtail mtb’s and duallies of 10 years ago
Here it is in my Kona hardtail, didn’t mean to be arty but flash shows the be seen be safe reflective stripe, peer past that for battery.
View attachment 57306
illegal,? Not where I am, other posters question the uk rules, I won’t be there till June so not really relevant to me. For others whose local bobby demand 13S battery, same size can be bought so configured.
If you meant capacity, I’d have thought that obvious, RANGE, think multi day trip through Wales or Scotland, not commuting or going out for Sunday ride.
I’ve taken 2 (13S) x 720watters and only just made last orders, this is more for less weight. Hope that helps

AFAIK, all UPP triangle bats are hard case, at least all those I’ve seen in real life and on the net. I prefer soft but take your own choice by all means. This bag is proper tough, picture in first post shows huge velcro strap over crossbar, others smaller but very well attached. of course anyone that rides with loose or broken straps may have a problem, likewise their wheels and brakes etc, we used to have bicycle maintenance lessons at school, I guess those days are gone, blame the manufacturer.

Yes, sent from China but not to uk, I may send one there too, it is too high capacity to fly, I’m thinking of flying my dually for some big trips, possibly sell the battery in September (and fly bike home again )
I give you the prize for the worst photo ever of an ebike posted on this forum. Why didn't you look at it after you'd taken it to see that?

• :D
Reactions: scbk

Voltsnamps

Aug 27, 2023
I give you the prize for the worst photo ever of an ebike posted on this forum. Why didn't you look at it after you'd taken it to see that?
I take that as greatest compliment, especially as I thought it was “arty”
of course I looked at it, shows the battery size for az, just clarifying re his “massive” comment, not fishing for praise or somesuch.
some people like all the beseenbesafe stuff too

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
7kg, 35Ah, 52V battery is huge regardless how you look at it, so I was just wondering why somebody would need something like that. Multiday trips in Scotland and Wales sounds like a nice idea. What is the range you are getting and what is the problem you mentioned in first post?

Voltsnamps

Aug 27, 2023
7kg, 35Ah, 52V battery is huge regardless how you look at it, so I was just wondering why somebody would need something like that. Multiday trips in Scotland and Wales sounds like a nice idea. What is the range you are getting and what is the problem you mentioned in first post?
Wasn’t a trick question, I don’t see a problem, not expecting one, but if someone had an idea, even a better source, I’m all ears, esp before I buy more of em
Range is really hard to explain to those on flatlands.
I live on the coast, can follow foreshore using next to no juice, best of 140km (85 miles) on 720w/hr, battery not flat. In mountains I’ve used all that in 30km and sweating like a pig.
Our lunch run is 40 odd miles over a 10O0 ft mountain (hill for woollybacks) up and down it twice. I can do it easily on 720w/hr, my wife, same motor and battery struggles to do it but goes way slower.
Exactly the same as petrol, I like to be first to fuel stop but use less than the others (motorbikes). Still I fit big tanks, I hate petrol stations.

ebike trips, 400miles in a week, best yet, this battery will make that easier (and spare battery in one saddlebag gave it a bit of a wobble too)

Reactions: Brik

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Wasn’t a trick question, I don’t see a problem, not expecting one, but if someone had an idea, even a better source, I’m all ears, esp before I buy more of em
Range is really hard to explain to those on flatlands.
I live on the coast, can follow foreshore using next to no juice, best of 140km (85 miles) on 720w/hr, battery not flat. In mountains I’ve used all that in 30km and sweating like a pig.
Our lunch run is 40 odd miles over a 10O0 ft mountain (hill for woollybacks) up and down it twice. I can do it easily on 720w/hr, my wife, same motor and battery struggles to do it but goes way slower.
Exactly the same as petrol, I like to be first to fuel stop but use less than the others (motorbikes). Still I fit big tanks, I hate petrol stations.

ebike trips, 400miles in a week, best yet, this battery will make that easier (and spare battery in one saddlebag gave it a bit of a wobble too)
I'm normally the one pulling up people for scare-mongering, but in this case I feel obliged to say something, so I give you the advice not to bring those batteries too close to your house. Nearly all the ebike fires shown on social media involve big batteries in bags. Unfortunately, we have no details of exactly why, and there could be many causes, some of which are not the fault of the battery.

Voltsnamps

Aug 27, 2023
Already mentioned, hardcase upp jobby, not a Chammy
I'm normally the one pulling up people for scare-mongering, but in this case I feel obliged to say something, so I give you the advice not to bring those batteries too close to your house. Nearly all the ebike fires shown on social media involve big batteries in bags. Unfortunately, we have no details of exactly why, and there could be many causes, some of which are not the fault of the battery.
I won’t post any of my favourite charging shots, when 4 of us stay in pubs, best I tell you my home charging is in sealed steel box, 20 yards from human residence, I worry more about the phone zombies, charging by their beds !
even Apple had a recall on chargers, it’s a dangerous game we play in this lithium world. Be Safe

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
AIUI that rated 48V limit stems from wanting to keep the charger voltage below the SELV threshold of 60V (so both 13S and 14S/52V batteries should qualify if rated 48V). However EN 15194 4.2.4 refers to the Low Voltage Directive, not SELV, and Low Voltage is sometimes given as 75V to 1500V DC. Presumably differing limits have been defined for European and UK SELV and LV...?
EU low voltage is indeed 75v for household battery products , however EAPC's aren't included in that 75v rating and have a max rating of 48v .
One could argue 48v batteries are allowed as they are at the max nominal voltage.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Can a battery be illegal?
Yes , as in the EAPC application .
The directive is an EU one, but the UK makes it's own rules/laws up but thus far DVLA follow the EU directive.

If one delves in to the EU directive regarding DC voltage , one will find the 75v max rating mentioned then a separate noting that states EAPC's aren't included and they are restricted to 48v.

Reactions: Brik

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Yes , as in the EAPC application .
The directive is an EU one, but the UK makes it's own rules/laws up but thus far DVLA follow the EU directive.

If one delves in to the EU directive regarding DC voltage , one will find the 75v max rating mentioned then a separate noting that states EAPC's aren't included and they are restricted to 48v.
It's all a bit moot. EN15194 says up to 48v. That's been interpreted by the industry and test houses as a nominal 48v battery.