My Quando Battery

RobNYC

Pedelecer
Apr 12, 2008
New York, New York
So my first Phylion Li+ battery for my Quando died at 4-5 months. Basically, it worked well, staying green for most of my trips and then started going yellow and then almost immediately to red and cutting off at about 5 miles.

My dealer replaced it no problem and I've been using the new battery for a year. Now the battery is going yellow at about 4 miles. What behavior should I expect from a normal Phylion Li+ battery at this point? Should it stay yellow for several miles before going red and cutting off? Does the motor usually cut off when the battery goes red?

One more question... When I'm starting up from a stop, I've noticed that the yellow comes on as I get up to speed and stays on for a bit after I get up to full speed. The throttle is always fully open once I get moving. I've noticed that if, as I get up to full speed and the yellow is still on, that if I close the throttle momentarily before I open it again, the green light will come on again. Is this a good practice for me? Do I want the green light to come on as much as possible? Or is this practice bad or of no real import other than to make me happy that the green light is back on?

I am no techie but I still LOVE my Quando so much.

BTW, I've been seeing LOTS of electric bikes on the streets of NYC over the last year or so and they invariably are being ridden by Chinese restaurant delivery guys. It's becoming unusual to see one of them riding an non-electric bike.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Sounds normal Rob, assuming that second battery was made around the start of 2008 or later. It is good practice to ease the throttle and try to remain in green whenever possible, since that not only extends the range a little, it stresses the cells less so the battery life is longer. The Quando's powerful motor does give the batteries a rough time.

You will go some distance after the yellow remains on, but how far depends on hills and throttle openings of course, and even when the red stays on it's good for more distance, anything from 1 to 4 miles depending again on those circumstances. However, towards the final cut-out the motor does start to feel very weak.

The latest series of polymer batteries for these spend lots of time on yellow right from the start, since they run at a slightly lower voltage but are more resistant to cut-outs through sustaining the lower voltage better. I'm now using the new 14 Ah one on mine.

joab

Pedelecer
Hi Rob, I guess the high speed (32km/u) / high current (20ah) is giving the battery a hard time. My EZEE battery is now almost 2 years old and has done almost 10.000km but I use it with speed limits (max 25km/u) and current limits (max 8ah).
Regards,
Jo

monster

Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
sounds like the battery is under spek'ed for the bike. i would upgrade to some thing with more capacity or discharge rate.