n00b from Minnesota USA Trek Pure conversion?

tjaszewski

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 1, 2014
Yup, I'm a gimp that needs a flat foot cruiser to ride. My Trek Pure DLX is the best ride to date. I've been an avid scooter rider, but need to give up the to heavy 250cc Vespa for a more manageable ride. I'm here hoping to read and learn and maybe get some good direction. As is usual, we Merkins want nothing but more power, so my choices are limited for local purchase and support. I find the EU crowd to be among the most sensible in the scooter world and expect to find the same sensible sort of riders here. Any and all suggestions welcome. Not your typical thin skinned Merkin. Fire away!

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
I converted my Trek Clyde with a 350w Q128 front hub motor and 20ah battery last year. Its a similar bike to yours, in that it's got hub gears at the back and a steel fork up front, so a good candidate for a front drive.

I was re-using parts that I had available, but if I were starting from scratch I'd be looking to put a BPM in there.

Your other option would be crank drive.

Oh, and welcome to the forum. Glad you have thick skin, and we'll forgive you for being 'merkin. You might want to look it up though, as it has another meaning in UK if you drop the apostrophe.

Last edited:

tjaszewski

Apr 1, 2014
Separated by a common language... I'm afraid to ask.
BPM?

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
The BPM is a hub motor brand see here http://www.bmsbattery.com/ebike-kits/346-bafang-350watts500watts-bpm-motor-e-bike-kit.html

Another alternative is http://em3ev.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=36&product_id=57 he sells batteries as well and has a good reputation for after sales service.

These are kits and you can just add battery both sellers handle them, if you decide on what you want just make a thread and ask for it to be checked as you need to make sure your batteries can supply enough current for your motor choice etc.

Do you have steep hills, flatland, also an idea of your weight would help suggesting the right equipment .

Last edited:

tjaszewski

Apr 1, 2014
Do you have steep hills, flatland, also an idea of your weight would help suggesting the right equipment .
No hills, flat city streets. The city is small probably 3-4 miles end to end and I weigh in at 220lbs/100k

tjaszewski

Apr 1, 2014
Decision made BBS02 36V 350W, done!

Reactions: Geebee