Nano Brompton kit

barrycoll

Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2009
Having had a Nano Brompton conversion bike for a few years, and rarely using it except for sticking it in the car, and using it to get home while the car is serviced, I decided to sell it as a complete bike.

Getting the car serviced recently, and the bike got me up some steep hills and home with no probs....but getting back to the garage the bike was very erratic, although the thumb throttle has always been a bit dodgy.

I phoned an ebike shop in Nth London, and suggested a new thumb throttle, but was told it could be the controller, and suggested £100+ as a service option.

Not wanting to spend any more on the bike, I have stripped off the kit, and re-installed the original front wheel and tire, only leaving the cut off brake levers. And sold the basic bike on Ebay with no probs

I now have a Nano kit that may work and may not, with a battery with only a modest amount of life in it......

My question is would anybody know if this has much value, and what might that be??????

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Having had a Nano Brompton conversion bike for a few years, and rarely using it except for sticking it in the car, and using it to get home while the car is serviced, I decided to sell it as a complete bike.

Getting the car serviced recently, and the bike got me up some steep hills and home with no probs....but getting back to the garage the bike was very erratic, although the thumb throttle has always been a bit dodgy.

I phoned an ebike shop in Nth London, and suggested a new thumb throttle, but was told it could be the controller, and suggested £100+ as a service option.

Not wanting to spend any more on the bike, I have stripped off the kit, and re-installed the original front wheel and tire, only leaving the cut off brake levers. And sold the basic bike on Ebay with no probs

I now have a Nano kit that may work and may not, with a battery with only a modest amount of life in it......

My question is would anybody know if this has much value, and what might that be??????
Hi there , always a good question to which the smartass answer is as much as someone will pay !

Fleccs formula is a good one that I've used for working bikes

I'll try to find link but it would probably write off the battery and then subtract significant depreciation for age

And then take off fact it is spare or repair ....and you may get to not very much

Having said that, for someone likemyself who is keen to have a go a building a wheel and has a shed full of controllers, throttles etc I might be interested

I would also add that those motors are notoriously unreliable so issue may be motor, controller or throttle

Can you provide more info about the nature of the eratic behaviour ? Does PAS work? Any funny noises ?

Many thanks

barrycoll

Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2009
Hi Kirstin...

The short answer to clues, is no....I didn't notice anything untoward, other than that the thumb throttle has always been a bit hit and miss.....eg., it wouldn't always rotate fully, and so only half power was available, until that is, I jiggled it with my thumb to find a way past the restriction......this seemed to get worse towards the last few rides.
I am pretty sure that the Tongsin wheel is working OK, and that it could also be the controller.
The battery got me about 6 miles home from dropping the car off, and some steepish hills (Nth London), but I am a pedellar too!

Not very forthcoming, but the best I could say really

Reactions: KirstinS

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Thanks for response barrycoll

6 miles does rather indicate a battery a very end of life (especially on a low power motor like this one)

As a potential buyer I would consider the battery a write off TBH

How much would you like all in ?

North London is where half my family live so easy pick up delegation for me :)

Last edited:

barrycoll

Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2009
It would be nice if the kit was used rather than gathering dust Kirstin, so make me a reason able offer, and its yours.

barry c.

barrycoll

Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2009
Hi Kirstin.....I am away from tomorrow for 12 days, doing a cycling trip from Seville down to Cadiz.
Unpowered bikes, and luggage transported to next hotel, and interestingly, it was doing these sort of holidays that convinced us that we didn't really need any "assistance"
And so, no use for e-Brompton.

I dont know how to do a PM, as there doesn't seem to be any link, that I can see

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
It's strange I can't seem to message you either, never had issues with other members

I don't really want to put details on a public forum so to get around the problem I've set up a throwaway email address it's ikirstin@icloud.com

Can you try me there ?

Have a great holiday !