national differences

Flying Kiwi

Pedelecer
Dec 25, 2006
Buckinghamshire
However if power cutting when pedaling stops is included, a power of up to 250 w can be sold without type approval, in line with the European Directive. BUT in this case (power is between 200 and 250W) theoretically the vehicle should be registered with DVLA, fitted with a number plate, taxed and the owner should insure it and wear a helmet while riding it, because in the UK it is classified as a Moped. (However you may find that DVLA are unwilling to register the vehicle and will allow it onto the road without number plate and tax.)[/I]

So it may be possible to get DVLA to agree to a bike with <=250W being used on the road. The challenge would be to get it in writing!
Thanks foir throwing that light on the situation. Dont you just love the way they word the section about the DVLA possibly being "unwilling" to collect registration costs and instead allowing it onto the road untaxed and unregistered.

Leonardo

Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2006
www.jobike.it
As fa as I know also in Italy - where the EU Directive rules without conflicts - the Swizzbee 50 it is not allowed as a pedelec, but someone told me that there are also some problems for registering it as a moped... by us the category "light mopeds" is not well estabished, as it is in countries like Germany...
On the other hand the Swiss Flyers imported in Italy are mainly of the C, T and Faltrad series (completely legal pedelecs - and very good indeed, although very expensive).

Last edited:

Flying Kiwi

Pedelecer
Dec 25, 2006
Buckinghamshire
Brilliant design

This explains the technology:
esp@cenet document view
Thanks for that. Having studied epicyclic gear systems during courses I've attended, the idea of using multiple inputs into a planetary gear cluster does explain things. It must have been a complete handful for them to design, very clever of them. :cool: This means that neither the cassette nor the belt pulley are directly attached to the hub.
Ohhh I want a Swizbee :D

Last edited:

MaryinScotland

Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2006
Dumfries, SW Scotland
Here is some information provided to me by the DfT:
<snip>
An electrically assisted bicycle: Under 40kg, with a 200w or lower continuous power output, and a maximum assisted speed of 15 mph is exempt from UK registration (and thus type approval) and is treated as a cycle.
Note that "continuous power output". As I understand it, (mainly from Ben at Kinetics - thanks!) it's legal to have a motor that can output much higher power for a few minutes, so long as overall it can only average 200W. And that's useful for short steep hills. When looking at manufacturers' specs, they have an irritating tendency to quote wattage without stating if that's "continuous" or "peak". An added complication to an already complicated situation.
Mary

Miles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
Hi Mary,

Think of the continuous power rating as the level above which, for the specified conditions, the motor becomes unable to dissipate heat faster than it's generated. So, the temperature of the motor rises, efficiency drops and eventually components start to degrade, unless there's a thermal cut-off.

So the continuous rating is not an absolute or an average, strictly.

Last edited: