Navigation and route planning - what do you use?

2Lazy

Pedelecer
Jul 17, 2013
Milton Keynes
Just wondering what people here use for navigation and route planning.

I use http://www.iplanmyroute.com/ for route planning on my iPad, it's the best route planning app (for cycling) that I've seen, it has a number of maps available including Open Cycle Maps, and allows you to plan your own customised routes by placing pins on the map. I then save the route as a gpx file and transfer it to http://www.viewranger.com again running Open Cycle Maps, on my iPhone. View Ranger lets you download map tiles and I have tiles for my local area stored on the device so I'm not reliant on a mobile data connection. I have the iPhone mounted to my handlebars, running off an USB power pack in a small top tube mounted bag, and then it's simply a case of follow the red line on the map :) which is often a god send when riding the redways around Milton Keynes as it's very easy to get lost on an unfamiliar route.

That's the best set up I've found so far but would be interested to know what other people use.

Last edited:

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Nicked the TomTom out of the car. Sits in the map pouch on top of my Carradice C and is powered from a 4 x 18650 pack with a usb output on it.
GPS only, map pouch is waterproof, and I can just unclick the Carradice and carry with me into the cafe/pub. (insert personal preference).

2Lazy

Pedelecer
Jul 17, 2013
Milton Keynes
I am still experimenting but keep coming back to strava route builder as the easiest to use.
Samely exporting the gpx file but to upload to a garmin device rather than a phone. I had considered buying a phone mount but my phone is quite big....

Had a quick look at Strava route builder. I quite like it, doesn't work very well on mobile so an app version would be an improvement but overall it's a useful route planner. I find Open Cycle Maps in http://www.iplanmyroute.com better in some ways as you can easily see what is a cycle path and a bridleway or footpath for example, detail which isn't available in the Strava map, but I was nevertheless quite impressed that it showed MTB trails that are missing on Open Cycle Maps.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Had a quick look at Strava route builder. I quite like it, doesn't work very well on mobile so an app version would be an improvement but overall it's a useful route planner. I find Open Cycle Maps in http://www.iplanmyroute.com better in some ways as you can easily see what is a cycle path and a bridleway and footpath for example, detail which isn't available in the Strava map, but I was nevertheless quite impressed that it showed MTB trails that are missing on Open Cycle Maps.
Heat maps are good out in the wild as they show where everyone else has been going..

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I use the Garmin route planner, mainly because its easy to transfer to my Garmin device.

I Am Jon

Pedelecer
Apr 23, 2016
West Yorkshire
Currently using View Ranger, do a lot of off-road so the OS maps are really handy for tracking down bridleways. Found the website route planner for View Ranger to be quite good, not tried importing routes from other sources.

Have phone mounted on top-tube but it can be tricky to check where i'm going without stopping to study the map. A turn by turn style navigation would be easier to follow but not sure if there is one that copes well with off road routes.

Generally I navigate by memory and only use the map for finding my way along new routes and recording where I have been.

Last edited:

2Lazy

Pedelecer
Jul 17, 2013
Milton Keynes
Generally I navigate by memory and only use the map for finding my way along new routes and recording where I have been.
I'm much the same, I have several regular routes that I ride and generally only use ViewRanger when heading into new or unfamiliar territory. I know most of Milton Keynes and surrounding areas quite well but there are still some areas where I could quite easily get lost without a map and pre-planned route.

For tracking I use Cyclemeter http://abvio.com/cyclemeter/

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
I navigate by the sun.
Guess that's why I have only been out twice so far this year!

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Oruxmaps to know which cycle path to take at complicated intersections. Otherwise I know where I am going and I follow the sign posts.

JimRides

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2016
Liverpool
I normally just plan a route on Google Maps and then remember it, but at the weekend I was cycling across London (visiting a friend plus a wee bit of sightseeing) on those Santander bikes and I got lost about ten times. It was the first time I've ever felt like I could have done with some kind of sat-nav type thing!

Mac_user82

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
I just use a Bosch Nyon display great if i need to find some where when out and about makes life a lot more easier that i dont have to worry about the battery on the Nyon it just works off the main battery

The battery drain on a iPhone maps are the thing of the past I personally cannot fault the Nyon display for finding places that I have needed to find works perfect for me

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mrpscott

Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2010
I have been using a Satmap 10 with the whole of UK OS Landranger map card for well over 8 years now. At the time I was regularly cycling 50+ mile routes and wanted to keep the mobile phone for the potential emergency call - of course technology has moved on. Using the OS App I plan and then load routes onto the Satmap. It was quite expensive and has had a couple of services but I like it and am familiar with it. The downside is that the memory card is locked in time so if roads get moved it can be embarrassing however I have only been caught out once a few years ago riding from Melton Mowbray to Ely and a new road appeared in the middle of the Fens! Using the OS App should overcome this aspect - or highlight any route issues before setting off!

Robbieg

Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2016
Burton on trent
I may be old fashioned but I do prefer to use an OS map, just like pouring over them to plan a route previously and pop into a map case for the journey with the main points, road numbers and place names jotted down. Only problem now is that the eyes aren't as good as they were and can be a pain getting glasses out. Maybe will look into moving into the 21st century soon.