NEC show

greyfox69

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2015
ST8 North Staffs
I went to the show yesterday (Friday) with the intention of testing my top three ebike choices ( I have done loads of research until i am confusing myself :) the tests were NOT scientific just my opinion on how they rode so i could finally buy a replacement for my front hub conversion.
My top three were
Haibike sduro
KTM macina
Kalkoff Integrale
I rode all three for quite a few laps on a small test track, so now i am in a position to choose one to give a good test ride on (Haibike is a narrow favourite)
However just to add a fly in the ointment the Cube reaction looks very good and also the Trek powerfly looks good unfortunately they were not available on the test track.
On a lighter note i rode the Italjet chopper/ harley lookalike ebike, i wouldnt personally buy one (and i told them) but it is the best fun i have had on a bike in ages

all in all a good day out

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Thanks for that show report greyfox69, did you notice any Hybrid type ebikes running the Bosch CX Motor with Rohloff Speedhub gearing.

As the market does not seem to offer such a machine, I am currently contemplating buying a Cube bike with the Bosch CX Motor, and doing a retro Rohloff Speedhub fit myself.

But it would be nice to know if there are any ebikes, like what I am trying to create, available of the shelf so to speak.

Last edited:

greyfox69

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2015
ST8 North Staffs
Thanks for that show report greyfox69, did you notice any Hybrid type ebikes running the Bosch CX Motor with Rohloff Speedhub gearing.

As the market does not seem to offer such a machine, I am currently contemplating buying a Cube bike with the Bosch CX Motor, and doing a retro Rohloff Speedhub fit myself.

But it would be nice to know if there are any ebikes, like what I am trying to create, available of the shelf so to speak.
Hi did see quite a few hybrids with the Bosch cx, I wasn't looking for the Rohloff to be honest , i was more like a 57 year old kid in a sweet shop ..sorry

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer

As the market does not seem to offer such a machine
That's because the CX drive us predominantly developed for MTB use. Also with higher torque to run derailleur gears with gear shift sensing.

It's worth noting, most hub gear formats are running on Active line as the torque is always reduced when offered with a hub gear setup.

This software is pre tuned by the manufacturer. By altering this out the box this will not work in harmony with the setup you are trying to achieve.

Reactions: trex

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Thanks for the feedback folks, the more I think about it, the more I am leaning to going for a stock Ebike of the shelf, say a Hybrid type that is running the Alfine IGH.

My only concern is that my main reason for getting an Ebike, is to make going up some of the steep roads around here a lot easiar, that's why I was thinking Bosch CX Motor with it's 75nm of Torque.

These days even after a fairly steep clime of just 1 mile, I am almost ready to reach for a defibrillator when I get to the top.

The Alfine Hub Ebikes that I have seen, nearly all seem to have the Bosch Active Cruise Motor with 48nm Torque as the max, even the Performance Cruise for IGH is 50nm Scott use that on the E-Sub Evo and is about the exact type of Ebike that I am looking for.

I take on board Martin's comment's and maybe my simplistic notion of adding a Rohloff to an Ebike is not the same kettle of fish as adding it to a none Ebike like I have done in the past.

At least now I may have narrowed my options a little, but I seem to be getting a little closer to finding what will be my first Ebike.

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
"These days even after a fairly steep clime of just 1 mile, I am almost ready to reach for a defibrillator when I get to the top."

If you get the chance get a test ride of the KTM eRace P 29 or 27. I tried a variety of bikes at the Redbridge circuit (road /offroad) and the the KTM Panasonic hub drive was clearly the best up hills. It's been over year and 1500 miles and I haven't regretted my choice of an all terrain bike no matter the inclination.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
If you get the chance get a test ride of the KTM eRace P 29 or 27.
No good for someone who wants hub gears though.

My weedy classic bosch bike set for the nexus 8 rear hub gets me up any hill even on half power, full power feels incredible after riding the bike on half power for a while.

I wouldn't be too concerned about putting the Rholf hub into your bike of choice, unless it's a very fancy system linked to the gearchange lever to know when you're changing gear.

No doubt most Bosch systems can be reprogrammed to different configurations. The problem is finding the software, or someone with the software willing to set the bike to how you want it.

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Yep, well that settles it, the Rohloff will be staying on my Ti Hybrid pedal only bike, I do love that bike, and it has taken me from Manchester to Scotland and back a few times, it's got skinny 1.3" Tyres but goes like stink, until I come to a steep hill!

So now the "Cube SUV Hybrid Pro 27.5" is in my sights, read a good review on here from Geof, for the 2015 model, so will wait till next year to see we're the 2016 model prices end up.

Also need to find out if the Cube will take a rear rack, and I am sure proper mudguards can be added. I would also want to downsize the tyres, 2.2" seems huge to me, would like to go for Continental Travel Contact at 1.75" if they do them in 27.5".

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
No good for someone who wants hub gears though.
Or for someone that wrongly believes the following.

Electric Hub drives either front or rear wheel, to me seem a real Heath Robinson way of doing things, so I won't be going for that option.

If you get the chance get a test ride of the KTM eRace P 29 or 27. I tried a variety of bikes at the Redbridge circuit (road /offroad) and the the KTM Panasonic hub drive was clearly the best up hills. It's been over year and 1500 miles and I haven't regretted my choice of an all terrain bike no matter the inclination.
Wicky, I Just hope that mine hurries up and arrives before too much longer. :( It would be nice to get at least a few relatively mud free dry rides in before the weather changes even further. I also don't want to wear the Hutchinson tyres out by using the Macina Lycan on the road.

Last edited:

greyfox69

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2015
ST8 North Staffs
rohloffboy I had a real good look at the cube ebikes while I was there look very impressive the guy on the stand was extremely informative I will definitely test one when I can

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Wicky, I Just hope that mine hurries up and arrives before too much longer. :( It would be nice to get at least a few relatively mud free dry rides in before the weather changes even further. I also don't want to wear the Hutchinson tyres out by using the Macina Lycan on the road.

Well done that man - I look forward to you stress testing it to expose flaws - So far really only the control unit bugs me at night/winter with the annoyingly close proximity of the power assist button and on/off button

One_Box

Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2014
Leominster
My first visit to the Cycle Show yesterday, a thoroughly enjoyable day :)
My first port of call was the Kalkoff stand manned by Anthony from 50Cycles Bristol branch. I particularly wanted to try the Include Evo with 8 speed Nexus hub, belt drive with the step through frame and to compare it to my Tasman Impulse 8 HS. The new Evo motor was much quieter than my Impulse 2 and the new 17Ah battery ( with 6 contacts now, up from 5 ! ) seemed to be integrated into the frame in a far better way. The display showed far more information. I was impressed with the belt tensioning arrangement although the adjusters are inboard of the chain stays so not easy to get to. I also tried the Whisper 905 torque which I was particularly impressed by and the Gazelle C330 HM with the NuVinci hub. All in all a good day :)

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Well done that man - I look forward to you stress testing it to expose flaws - So far really only the control unit bugs me at night/winter with the annoyingly close proximity of the power assist button and on/off button

I'd tried to blank that one from my memory when I reviewed the e-Cross P.

Not a good design of control console, and one which is going to annoy the hell out of me. If the motor and power delivery are as good on the e-Race as they were on the e-Cross, I shall look forward to some very lengthy and fun rides, especially as it will have the slightly larger battery pack (512wh by memory?) :)

Not sure about the stress testing. I kind of want the bike as a chilled on off road, mile muncher. I have bad memories of the BH and the hub motor in extreme off road conditions, and whilst I'm assured that it will cope with everything that I could throw at it, I'm not going to push my luck and take it swimming! The Macina Lycan copes very well with everything that I throw at it, the only thing is, full suspension and winter conditions, are not really the best of combinations. I need someone to treat me to a Macina Hardtail for the winter months.

Last edited:

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Change of mind again, following reading some websites regarding retro fitting a Rohloff SpeedHub to a Crank Drive Ebike.

Also, I have been out on the Rohloff bike today, 8 miles of trail, and 8 miles of road, 16 miles of heaven, apart from the 2 miles of steep bits!

It seems quite doable, so it looks like I will be getting the "Cube Cross Hybrid Race Allroad 500" it comes with the Bosch CX 75nm Motor.

And seems quite a good buy at £1900.

Of course I will need to fit the Rohloff Chain Tensioner device, but if it's good enough for Riese & Muller it's good enough for me.

I will be quite happy to run the antiquated deraillure set up on the Cube, until I am out of warranty, I already have the Rohloff SpeedHub, which I can take from my regular pedal bike.

If there any problems, I will just restore the Cube to how it was, but from what I have learned so far, there will not be a problem dropping the Rohloff into the Cube.

If all works out I will have the best of both worlds, a Bosch CX Motor, paired to a Rohloff SpeedHub.

Last edited:
Reactions: Artstu

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Yep, anotherkiwi, I think my Rohloff SpeedHub Bosch CX 75nm Crank Drive Ebike, will work out a little cheaper than the Heisenberg, even though mine will be just a HardTail bike.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Reactions: rippedupno1

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Nope won't work, eccentric BB...