Need advice for installing motor on a 'beer bike'

Corie Roach

Just Joined
May 10, 2017
Brighton
Hi,

We have a 'beer bike' that holds 11 passengers with 6 people cycling in Brighton and are needing to install a motor on it but needing help and guidance.

I know the laws say that 'A pedal cycle fitted with a motor (or motors) providing a maximum output power of over 250 watts is not classified as an EPAC and will need to be registered and taxed. You will need a driving licence to ride one and you must wear a crash helmet. Your vehicle will also need to be ‘type-approved’ to make sure it is safe to use on the road.

Could anyone help?

Corie

Hi Corie,
Thought I'd add a photo of the vehicle in question in case anyone can put forward some good ideas/thoughts?
The type approval route is the only way I can think it will be possible, but there are many far cleverer and knowledgeable people on here who might have some useful input. :)17201281_10158293830895612_8861544641329700003_n.jpg

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's not type approval, that's for manufacturers. You need individual vehicle approval (IVA).

It's likely that you can apply under the motorcycle IVA with it classified as a Quadricycle, Light or Heavy. The vehicle inspectorate can advise on that since there are special rules for assistive technology.

Here's the link to get started.

Last edited:
It's not type approval, that's for manufacturers. You need individual vehicle approval (IVA).

It's likely that you can apply under the motorcycle IVA with it classified as a Quadricycle, Light or Heavy. The vehicle inpectorate can advise on that since there are special rules for assistive technology.

Here's the link to get started.
That's the one. Individual vehicle approval. Best starting point yet.
Great. Nice one flecc :)

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk