Need help choosing between these bikes

TheBag

Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2019
I've finally narrowed down my choice of ebikes based on lots of reading and plenty of help from the pedelecs community.

I've significantly raised my budget from under 1000 to around 1500 in order to get a decent bike so if there's any obvious bikes I've missed in this price range, let me know.

The choices are:
Cube Acid Hybrid One 400 29er 2019 - Electric Mountain Bike
Haibike SDURO Cross 1.0 700c 2019 - Electric Hybrid Bike
Oxygen S-CROSS MTB Electric Mountain Bike

905 SE Crossbar
905 Torque Crossbar
Woosh Rio MTB

There are a few various deals on some of these so price differences might not be as big as they look.

To clarify once more, I won't be doing many miles each day, probably close to 3 miles per day now that I think of it, but some steep hills on the journey which I don't want to be sweating buckets when I reach the top.

Who knows, I might actually enjoy cycling and decide to do more than just commute to the train station.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

TheBag

Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2019
Without power the ALP motor will be easier to pedal then the CX motor, less moving parts etc,etc in the ALP less mechanical resistance at the crank.
So it does actually create resistance in the pedals which was what I was trying to determine earlier. So if you decide to ride it without assistance or ran out of batteries, it would be a much less enjoyable experience. This also means that pedalling in general even with assistance should be a little harder although maybe not really noticeable.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
So it does actually create resistance in the pedals which was what I was trying to determine earlier. So if you decide to ride it without assistance or ran out of batteries, it would be a much less enjoyable experience.
Ever so slightly less enjoyable.

This also means that pedalling in general even with assistance should be a little harder although maybe not really noticeable.
No, because it is more powerful it will be easier to pedal, put another way you will go faster for the same input

Reactions: TheBag

TheBag

Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2019
As above when you are pedaling above 15.5 mph when the motor is no longer assisting you the extra gearing inside the CX motor creates a bit more drag than the cogs inside the active line. Even though the motor is now not powering, you still have to turn those cogs and the motor because they don't disengage above 15.5 mph.

I'd buy the active line anyway because it is less complicated. a newer design and it will take you further on a given amount of battery power compared to the CX motor.
I understand it now. This is exactly what I was trying to ask earlier. I don't think I climb any ridiculous hills so I shouldn't need the extra torque

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
I understand it now. This is exactly what I was trying to ask earlier. I don't think I climb any ridiculous hills so I shouldn't need the extra torque
Even if you do have steep hills the active line motor is more than enough anyway.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you will only notice the drag with the cx with no power or over the 15mph limit.

but if you do want a dongle then the cx is the one to get.

Chris M

Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2018
You will certainly climb steep hills faster with a CX than an ALP, or climb hills at the same speed but with less effort. On the other hand you should find pedalling along the flat at 17mph requires a little less effort wit anALP than with a CX. I find my ALP is fine for very steep hills and have climbed many without pain at around 11-12 mph.The main problem I have is that my pesky brother does like to fly past me with his CX driven bike.
We still act like kids even though we are well into our sixties. :)

• :D
Reactions: Artstu and TheBag

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
You will certainly climb steep hills faster with a CX than an ALP, or climb hills at the same speed but with less effort. On the other hand you should find pedalling along the flat at 17mph requires a little less effort wit anALP than with a CX. I find my ALP is fine for very steep hills and have climbed many without pain at around 11-12 mph.The main problem I have is that my pesky brother does like to fly past me with his CX driven bike.
We still act like kids even though we are well into our sixties. :)
wanna race ;)

TheBag

Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2019
Quick question that just occured to me. If you fit a de-restrictor to use off road but set it back to restricted at 15mph when riding on the road, is that enough to make it legal? I know for example if you fit a 500w motor and set it to only use 250w, it's still illegal

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Quick question that just occured to me. If you fit a de-restrictor to use off road but set it back to restricted at 15mph when riding on the road, is that enough to make it legal? I know for example if you fit a 500w motor and set it to only use 250w, it's still illegal

others are wired in to the motor so it is the best option for ease of use as can be fitted and removed in seconds all you have to do is move the wheel magnet on the spokes.

note some new bikes have the sensor on the disc rotor so if this is the case the badass dongles wont work.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
That would have to be on private land with the owners permission.

• Agree

TheBag

Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2019
I think i've decided to go for the CX motor bike just for the £250 saving on what is a very similar spec bike other than the motor. £1350 seems like a pretty good deal for a CUBE-Cross-Hybrid-Pro-400-2018 which was orginally £2000. Thanks to everyone for the help and input given - it's really made a big difference

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the motor and batt on there own costs £1150 so a bargain at that price ;)