Need help ebike not working

Squiggle

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 15, 2017
Hull
Hi
Was wondering if anyone could help me. I've got an electric bike but it has stopped working, I've bought a tester and now know that its the controller that needs to be replaced. The only problem is i cant find one with exactly the same specs: 36 v, 250w, 14.5A + - 1, 31.5+ - 0.5v. I was wondering if any knows if it has to be exactly the same controller or if I could get a different one as long as its 36v 250w
Thanks
Louise

Mac_user82

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
Pictures can speak more then 1000 words sometime put a picture of the bike some people can see somebody might have the same bike or problem

Sometimes text means nothing a picture answers everything and more people might be able to comment on your post

please don't think i'm haven a go at you i am just making your life more easier for you and helping you to get straight to the point answer instead of lot of time been wasted

On a more lighter note welcome to the forum i hope you find a lot of knowledge on here

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Squiggle why do you suspect the controller ?
Under what circumstances did the bike stop working ?
Brake cut outs, throttle and pas can cause a motor not to work disconnecting them all and reconnecting one at a time can rule the out.

Generally as long as the make is the same then any protocol comms for a lcd should also work. Also is it sensored (sinewave) 8/9 motor wires or unsensored (square wave) 3 motor wires. The ampage rating is usually matched for the battery fitted though you probably will be all right with 17amps. Which bike do you have.
A pic of the controller is always useful as well as battery details.

Last edited:

Squiggle

May 15, 2017
Hull
Squiggle why do you suspect the controller ?
Under what circumstances did the bike stop working ?
Brake cut outs, throttle and pas can cause a motor not to work disconnecting them all and reconnecting one at a time can rule the out.

Generally as long as the make is the same then any protocol comms for a lcd should also work. Also is it sensored (sinewave) 8/9 motor wires or unsensored (square wave) 3 motor wires. The ampage rating is usually matched for the battery fitted though you probably will be all right with 17amps. Which bike do you have.
A pic of the controller is always useful as well as battery details.
Hi thanks for your message.
The bike started jamming like the brake was on, my dad did unplug the brakes and pas and plugged them back in but it still wasn't working. He's tested continuity through all though all the wires this was ok. I bought a tester and it said the controller and hall sensors wasn't working and I don't know what hall sensors would be suitable for my bike. My battery is 36v 10ah lithium-ion. Its a brushless motor.
Thanks
Louise
IMG_20170516_125750.jpg

IMG_20170516_125811.jpg

Squiggle

May 15, 2017
Hull
Pictures can speak more then 1000 words sometime put a picture of the bike some people can see somebody might have the same bike or problem

Sometimes text means nothing a picture answers everything and more people might be able to comment on your post

please don't think i'm haven a go at you i am just making your life more easier for you and helping you to get straight to the point answer instead of lot of time been wasted

On a more lighter note welcome to the forum i hope you find a lot of knowledge on here
Hi thanks for your message I've posted a picture of my bike and controller. Its a brushless motor, battery is 36v 10ah lithium-ion.
Thanks
Louise

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Link below for testing Hall sensor failure.
https://www.ebikes.ca/documents/HallSensorTestingFinal.pdf

Hall sensors are imbedded inside the hub motor so repair may prove tricky.
Have you checked the hub motor connection from the hub, often there is a round 2 piece connector along the rear chain stay. Pull it apart and reconnect it to the stop line aligning the arrows first.

Squiggle

May 15, 2017
Hull
Link below for testing Hall sensor failure.
https://www.ebikes.ca/documents/HallSensorTestingFinal.pdf

Hall sensors are imbedded inside the hub motor so repair may prove tricky.
Have you checked the hub motor connection from the hub, often there is a round 2 piece connector along the rear chain stay. Pull it apart and reconnect it to the stop line aligning the arrows first.
Hi thanks. I really need a controller before I can test anything else but as I don't no what controller mine is or what will be compatible with my bike I'm stuck. I really need to get my bike fixed as it's my life line, I have health problems and therefore can't ride a normal bike.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
LCD or LED compatible ?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
What device is on the handle bars to control the assist levels if you don't know show a pic of the bars.