Need help with identifying model of an adult electric 3 wheels bike

william45

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 22, 2015
Hi there , can anyone help with identifying model of an adult electric 3 wheels bike
Was bought from ebay as used adult electric trike and it has no brand name or identifying decals anywhere on it. Came with A long cyclelife 37v 10ah lithium battery XH370-10J:
We bought the trike about two years ago, it has been stored in a garage until now, the battery in in good condition and fully charged. the trike sometimes starts on battery alone and sometimes needs to be peddled to get going, it only runs for a couple of seconds then dies. both the battery and the trike charge indicators are both working and show full power. we are unable to get any repair as without a brand name or manual no one is prepared to look at it. Battery was tested in a local shop - was OK. Will appreciate any help with this .
Bill

Attachments

D

Deleted member 4366

Even if you new what it was, you probably woildn't get any info on it. Luckily, it doesn't matter because nearly all ebikes work the same. Any Ebike repairer should be able to sort it, but they're as rare as hens' teeth.

If you're at all practical, you should be able to sort it yourself with instructions from here.
Do you have a voltmeter/multimeter?

william45

Jun 22, 2015
Even if you new what it was, you probably woildn't get any info on it. Luckily, it doesn't matter because nearly all ebikes work the same. Any Ebike repairer should be able to sort it, but they're as rare as hens' teeth.

If you're at all practical, you should be able to sort it yourself with instructions from here.
Do you have a voltmeter/multimeter?
yes but dont know how to use it

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Where are you, in case anyone's near?

First job, put meter on volts DC, 200v range, and see what coming out of battery terminals.

D

Deleted member 4366

Let's try and make it simple for you then. Take a photo of your meter and post it here.

william45

Jun 22, 2015
Where are you, in case anyone's near?

First job, put meter on volts DC, 200v range, and see what coming out of battery terminals.

I am In Norwich. Week ago i took the trike in batribike shop at Great Yarmouth. They have done test on battery - said it was fine. They wouldn't even touch trike because "unknown model" .In addition, we have a very minimal knowledge how it operates, never had use it as it was purchased for some relative abroad. So please forgive me my ignorance to the technical details.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Too blurred to tell. Its very important that the leads are in the right holes....I think they might be wrong, in which case you'll get a flash and a pop.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
That indicates a battery problem. It should be closer to 42v. It's either a duff cell, or its out of balance.

It might be worth leaving connected to the charger for a long time, to see if it will balance out. Long shot.

It may be possible to manually balance it, but that's probably beyond your current skill level.

D

Deleted member 4366

41.1v doesn't look bad to me. Check it again now that it's been charged a bit.

D

Deleted member 4366

That's OK. Put it on the bike and switch everything on.. the LEDs should light up on that panel on the handlebars. Try the throttle and observe what happpens to those LEDs.

Do the same but pedal instead of using the throttle. Does anything hsppen to the LEDs when the power cuts?

william45

Jun 22, 2015
Hi
All the lights come on (except 1st one) think it`s just broken led.
when I twist the throttle the lights stay on ,bike moves forward but only for a few feet then the motor cuts out, sometimes the motor will kick in again, again for only short distance.
When I pedal without using the twist grip the lights remain on.
on all occasions when the battery is switched on, the indicators show fully charged (all lights on).
When I pedal the trike the battery does NOT cut in unless the throttle is used.

D

Deleted member 4366

That's good then. We've made some progress. You can now rule out the battery, the keyswitch and the battery connectors.

You now need to look at the connectors at the controller. The controller sits under the basket as far as I can see. It might be in a box. You have to unscrew whatever is there. When you find all the connectors on it, unplug each and reconnect them. Make sure they're all in properly and make a tight connection. While you're there, count the wires on the motor connector/s.

Follow the wire from the motor to the controller. Check any connectors very carefully.