Need help with our electric bikes...!

Casatinto

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 3, 2017
Peterborough
Hi,
I'm a 58 year old woman who has an electric bike but need help or advice...
My husband and I purchased 2 powabykes a couple of yearsuback but have hardly used them due to them being in storage for a year. We have gone to charge them but both batteries are dead and both the chargers don't recognise the batteries when plugged in. The charger light on the charger stays green and won't turn to red to show that it's on charge. There are no lights on the handle bars where the throttle is and don't know what to do...! I have looked at the price of replacing the batteries but am shocked at the price, definitely can't afford that. Our batteries haven't had much use as I only used mine to go to work and back (2.5 miles each way) for a few months before it was stored. My husband's has had a bit more use but not much more. I'd think that the charger was at fault, but both of them-and both batteries...? I would appreciate help as what would be best to do as don't want to get rid of them because we enjoyed using them before we had to put them into storage. Thanks in anticipation of your help...!

D

Deleted member 4366

There's lots of different Powabykes. You need to tell/show us which one?

Casatinto

Sep 3, 2017
Peterborough
Hi,
Thanks for your reply. How stupid of me of course..!
Have checked and tried to photograph mine in the garage. It says Xbyke on it and my husband's is the same but the male version but his battery is located on the cross bar instead of under the back bike carrier.IMG_4517.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If the batteries are lithium ion then the probability is that after so long without use they have either gone to sleep or a cell group/s has discharged it self and will not allow any charge.
The battery has a BMS (battery management system) which acts as a switch and if it detects either a too low or high voltage will not allow the charger to work. Highly unlikely there is any thing wrong with your chargers.
All is not lost though it requires someone with a bit of patience or knowledge to try and coax them back in to usable condition again. If you or your husband are practical with your hands then we can help you, however it means opening the battery cases up and carrying out some practical tests with digital volt meter.
A pic of the batteries would also be handy for members to view.

Last edited:

Casatinto

Sep 3, 2017
Peterborough
Hi Nealh,
Thanks for your reply. Yes they are lithium batteries. I just need to know if there's somewhere I can take them as I'm sure that lots of people have this problem. I'm not in a position to pay hundreds of pounds for new batteries for both bikes and I really hope that they can be sorted out...!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Ideally you will need a good ebike retailer who has knowledge or a local ebike enthusiast who would be willing to have a look for you. A forum member who is local to you may be able to recommend some one or offer to help.

D

Deleted member 4366

I have it at the back of my mind from somewhere that those batteries don't have a BMS. I might be wrong, but if I'm right, it's not looking good.

You need to remove the battery and measure the voltage directly on its connector. That will give us a good idea what can be done.

Casatinto

Sep 3, 2017
Peterborough
My husband is pretty handy taking things apart and mending them and has already taken the battery out of the casing, checked the voltage on his battery with his voltage meter and says that it is completely dead. I know it doesn't sound good and would appreciate help from someone who might know what best to do or how to find someone near me who might know how to help. I have rung a few bike retailers who have said that it has to be mended by a Powabyke retailer but I don't think it's a bike problem but a battery problem.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Cas you need to post some pics of the batteries out of the case esp one of a PCB/BMS/ if there is one in side and the wiring, we can then guide hubby on any possibility of coaxing the batteries to charge.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

IIRC, theyre 6Ah high discharge batteries. You have three choices:

1. Buy a new cell-pack from Powabyke - cost £339
https://powabyke.com/product/battery-insert-pack-for-mk1-and-mk2-xbykes/
2. Get it recelled by BGA Reworking with Samsung 30Q or similar high discharge cells - cost about £200.
3. Buy a different 36v battery that can deliver 20 amps continuous - cost about £250 - £300, but you get a lot more range.

Casatinto

Sep 3, 2017
Peterborough
None of those are an option because I simply can't afford any of those. I will have to sell them on to someone who can afford it. I have posted some pics but won't buy any more electric bikes because they are more trouble than they are worth... After paying more than a thousand pounds for them both, I'm not a happy bunny..!IMG_0137.JPGIMG_0138.JPGIMG_0140.JPG

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
E bike/ batteries are only best considered if they can be used regularly, the batteries don't like to be left to just die.
Unfortunately the pics for me reveal nothing, the black heat shrink needs removing esp from the connector end.

Remix

Just Joined
Jul 6, 2018
FOR ANY OTHER POWABYKE USERS WITH THE SAME PROBLEM.

I had this exact same problem. I brought a 2nd hand Powabyke xbyke and after 2 months it died. No power, no lights on the throttle, totally dead.

After reading this thread i contacted BGA Reworking who offered me two options. A complete recell using 30 x 30Q (or equivalents) for £210 or a complete recell plus adding a BMS for £260.

I sent my battery off and after 2 weeks i received it back. Oh lordy...its like i have a brand new bike. My old battery did about 20 miles per charge/trip. my new one i have been out three times 20+ miles and my battery indicator on my throttle is still on three lights. I have no idea what magic they do at BGA but this solved my problems and i got a more responsive, more capacity bike.

:)

BG bicycle

Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2018
Bulgaria
If a BMS, was connected it will draw a small amount of current. Also if the battery was at a low state of charge or/and left for a long time include storage freezing cold then all adds to further depletion.

The only way is to dismantle the pack and check the voltage cell by cell.

Unfortunately without some risk of the hazard of fire any attempt to revive your pack does require the pack broken up and even then no guarantee. Lithium-ion cells are strict about voltage once below a voltage threshold most never recover. Chalk up your loss to experience.

Far better to do what a previous poster already gained success with and buy a new pack.

Tim Losee

Just Joined
Aug 3, 2018
Why not just purchase new batteries? I know they can be expensive, but it is well worth the savings in time and energy. I thought the Powabyke have replaceable batteries? (full disclosure, I might be wrong on that).