Need help

canny_nic

Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2016
North tyneside
I was going to buy a an e bike on gumtree. Which said 36v 250w. But 60kph. Dunno what make.
He said it has no plate. Just a homemade plate.
Now he doesn't want to sell it to me as he thinks it may not be road legal. N doesn't want me to get in trouble.
I'm just confused now as I thought the pass was 48v. But 15.5 mph

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, it's only the 60kph assist that's illegal of the figures you mention. However, if it's genuinely capable of 60 kph motoring it will be far more than a 250 watt motor and is likely to be one of the direct-drive motors switchable between 250 watts and 1000 watts or more. Those are not legal.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
my bike can do 30 mph or more if i change the front sprocket to a bigger one, bosch motor ;)

canny_nic

Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2016
North tyneside
I'm looking for one like a moped / scooter / with pedals. With throttle. But not get stopped by the police to ask for my licence. I don't have one ha ha.

My eye sight is going downhill n recently sold my Honda C90. Don't really want another push bike. I don't want to be sweaty going to work.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
  • Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

canny_nic

Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2016
North tyneside
That's the only worry. I would like to use cycle paths. N I know someone will be complaining.

Someone on here must have one.
Do you get in bother ?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
someone on here did have one and had the same problem getting stopped but they never did anything as was 15mph 250w ect.

also them things are heavy 40kg and low range 20-25 miles.

there just hub motors and can fit a kit to a normal bike for less and get a lot more range.

my bike has a dongle to remove the speed limit and have never been stopped ;)

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Found a Sakura s200 with 15ah battery. Just unsure.
Heavy inefficient not worth the effort.
Run away from the seller he probably couldn't catch you on it.
Test ride a few bikes then you will know if they can work for you.

Moorlie

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 22, 2016
Hampshire
Yes, it's only the 60kph assist that's illegal of the figures you mention. However, if it's genuinely capable of 60 kph motoring it will be far more than a 250 watt motor and is likely to be one of the direct-drive motors switchable between 250 watts and 1000 watts or more. Those are not legal.
A colleague of mine has a Cyclotricity bike that he purchase last year I believe. It has a 1000W motor and a little "accelerator". I see that this bike is still available and there is a code to switch it into Uber mode for "off-road" use. Reminds me of years ago when 50cc mopeds were restricted with a blanking plate in exhaust that took a few minutes to remove.

Anyway, the suppliers themselves have an interesting write-up on the subject: http://cyclotricity.com/stealth-1000W/

• Informative

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
A colleague of mine has a Cyclotricity bike that he purchase last year I believe. It has a 1000W motor and a little "accelerator". I see that this bike is still available and there is a code to switch it into Uber mode for "off-road" use. Reminds me of years ago when 50cc mopeds were restricted with a blanking plate in exhaust that took a few minutes to remove.

Anyway, the suppliers themselves have an interesting write-up on the subject: http://cyclotricity.com/stealth-1000W/
There seems to be an acceptance by the industry that LCD changeovers of speed or power settings are legal, but this has never been legally tested. The law says that the rider should not have available more than a 250 watt rated motor and assist speed above 15.5 mph, and the DfT have said that an "off-road" switch to increase these is strictly forbidden.

Personally I don't think this industry acceptance would be agreed by a judge, since the LCD settings are clearly under the rider's control and can be switched. Fortunately no-one seems to think this issue of sufficient importance to to test it at present.

canny_nic

Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2016
North tyneside
I'm just at a loss what to get. Not a lot of funds so searching the good ol eBay n gumtree. I'm sick of the site of them now.
I don't need to go fast or travel too far I just need to get to where I'm going without getting a sweat on.
If it works for me I will go out more n further afield.

Thanks for advice about ride before buy. There's just none in the north Tyneside area to try. So when I do buy I wanna make sure it's not a dud. I don't mind buying a new battery though. I would rather have 16ah than 10ah. But not at all bothered.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
  • Agree

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
  • :D
Reactions: flecc

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
its well over priced you can get hub motors for 100 quid and a batt for about 200 quid.

the rest of the bike is not worth 600 quid, you will take a massive hit if you wanted to sell it on.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
this is my bike with a bosch motor going up a hill.

turbo mode on flat