Need help

JamesWeekz

Just Joined
Nov 9, 2020
Newbie here....

I am planning to convert a Carrera subway 2 into a E bike, i'll be using a hub e bike conversion kit. The kit comes with a 7 speed freewheel but the bike has a 8 speed shimano cassette.
Would i have any problems with the gearing and the chain fitting if i used the freewheel that comes with the kit or would i have to change the chain and the shifting etc?

Any help would be appreciated! Cheers

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Chain and shifter will be fine, one will have to adjust the derailleur stops as you will lose one gear, but better still if you haven't yet bought the kit look for a freehub/cassette motor.

Which kit you looking at ?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Newbie here....

I am planning to convert a Carrera subway 2 into a E bike, i'll be using a hub e bike conversion kit. The kit comes with a 7 speed freewheel but the bike has a 8 speed shimano cassette.
Would i have any problems with the gearing and the chain fitting if i used the freewheel that comes with the kit or would i have to change the chain and the shifting etc?

Any help would be appreciated! Cheers
Never mind the freewheel, isn't it important that you get the right kit? Show us what you plan to get and tell us why and what you expect to do with it.

Surf_Wonder

Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2020
Its no problem, I removed the cassette, removed the extra gear that made it an 8sp/gear, then popped the (now 7 sp/gear) cassette back on the hub. If you don't remove the extra gear -its not an issue, you'll only be using 7sp/gears because of your shifter. Don't worry about your derailleur, most 7sp derailleurs can handle 8sp and not need changing unless your looking at 9sp.

Re - Batteries?Range? Ebikeschool.com was a huuuuge help in learning and understanding - the site doesn't look live but the info's accessible via wayback https://web.archive.org/web/20200130154941/http://www.ebikeschool.com/much-power-electric-bicycle-need

Last edited: