Need to find strong tube for my rack

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I saw that Thule rack fitted to a woosh Zephyr CDN, it's incredibly strong and rock solid, it can take my weight easily without sweat. It's well engineered as it's made by Thule and Thule equals German engineering. The Axiom Journey rack is OK but the weakest link is where it's attached to the frame. The weight of what you are carrying will strip the fixing bolts' frame thread in a few weeks.

Reactions: cwah

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
I saw that Thule rack fitted to a woosh Zephyr CDN, it's incredibly strong and rock solid, it can take my weight easily without sweat. It's well engineered as it's made by Thule and Thule equals German engineering. The Axiom Journey rack is OK but the weakest link is where it's attached to the frame. The weight of what you are carrying will strip the fixing bolts' frame thread in a few weeks.
do you mean I can carry a 70kg person on this thule rack? :)

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
yes, the zephyr CDN carried two people, me standing up on the rear rack for only a minute mind.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
It didn't get so many good review on amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Thule-Pack-Pedal-Tour-Rack/product-reviews/B00ASSOORE/ref=cm_cr_pr_hist_3?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=helpful&reviewerType=all_reviews&formatType=all_formats&filterByStar=three_star&pageNumber=1

Many said it was a bit flimsy on the review.

I'm not planning to carry people all the time, but it needs to be quite reliable and not break under load or over a bump... or it would be UBER dangerous.

I'm still a bit worried to put 3 times the product rated weight...

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
To some extent, I'm not completely sure I'd really trust thule on any heavy load close or over 25kg:

Reactions: trex

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Thule is Swedish, almost as good as German engineering ;) cwah did you see the structure under the seat example? The weight is held by the single vertical tube, the others are there to brace that tube.

You have nailed the basic problem: racks for carrying heavy loads do not work well on full suspension bikes. Remember that most bike tyres are rated for 100kg (per tyre) by charging your rack not only the rack structure (and frame bolts) but also the tyre are getting near rated limits.

Answer: Folding trailor. Passengers can be carried standing on BMX foot pegs screwed to the axle, that is how my sons did it back in their BMX days.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Yes a trailer is definitely in scope...

But i think i can still have a decently large rear rack on top of that.

The question is which one and shall i build one... i may give a go on the axiom journey rack and add some tubes to extend it slightly..

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Reactions: VictoryV and cwah