Neil Johns

Neil johns

Just Joined
Jan 7, 2017
Brighton
Hi everyone,
I commute to work each day and as I have turned 50 i thought I would treat myself to an electric assisted Bile to battle the high winds we have in Brighton. However, my friends Dad has offered me FREE his electric bike with a 12.8 v 8 Ah sram SPARC technology motor. The bike is in excellent condition but it requires a new battery pack. Its a good deal if I can find an alternative Battery . Is it reasonable to assume I can use a higher voltage battery that may draw a little more A per hour , such as 24 v battery 10Ah, assuming I can attach it to the bike correctly and safely and I can convert the plugs .

I am a complete novice to this and any advice or help you can offer me will truly be appreciated.

best wishes , Neil Johns

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hi Neal, welcome to the forum. That is the early SRAM SPARC motor which used the 12.8 volt NiMh battery. There are actually twin motors inside the hub.

It was quickly superceded by a 16.8 volt version, but I don't know what other changes there were at the time. I doubt yours could take 24 volts, which would probably damage it.

Neil johns

Just Joined
Jan 7, 2017
Brighton
Hi Neal, welcome to the forum. That is the early SRAM SPARC motor which used the 12.8 volt NiMh battery. There are actually twin motors inside the hub.

It was quickly superceded by a 16.8 volt version, but I don't know what other changes there were at the time. I doubt yours could take 24 volts, which would probably damage it.

Thanks for your greeting and info regarding this bike . Actually , I have the 16.8 v upgrade version . All I need is a replacement battery , but it seems these are not available now . Any suggestions on an alternative battery as I see there are lots on e bay ?

Cheers
Neil

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Sorry to learn that battery is no longer available, I'm a bit surprised since Halfords were selling one of their Carrera bikes with that Sparc motor only a couple of years ago.

I don't know any off the shelf batteries with that supply that 16.8 voltage, so I can only suggest a made up pack using NiMh cells or Lipo. That needs skills though and has risks, so as you describe yourself as a novice you'd probably need that done for you.

Hopefully someone will know of and recommend a company that can do that for you.