New Alien/Synergie bike

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Great to see Alien getting things back on track after the take over of Synergie and the stock issue on the GSII.

Looks like they have expanded as well with bikes to also be available from The Scottish E-Bike Center as well as online.

alienocean.co.uk

nitrambo

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 5, 2008
Am I correct in thinking the price has increased by a massive amount over the Gents Special 2. (not far off double ?)

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Yes looking at their original web site it seems the older models (except the fold up) are no longer available and the new models are now more expensive.

Seems their 36v road legal kits are not available either any more only 24v ones.

I started with one of their 36v road legal kits as my first econversion.

Great value and excellent backup service.

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

Hermit

Pedelecer
May 17, 2010
Wirral
Am I correct in thinking the price has increased by a massive amount over the Gents Special 2. (not far off double ?)
You noticed too, huh? Exchange rate and higher spec, apparently. I'm sure it's worth the money, but it is quite a hike over the GS2 :eek:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The underlying problem is probably the currency exchange rates. Most e-bikes and batteries have been climbing in price over the last two years since we first hit our current economic troubles.

Andrew harvey

Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2008
Wyre Forest
www.smiths-cycles.com
With the Acera rear mech and thumb shifters they are also raising the quality, still only 7 speed though, but do you need more on an e-bike?
The trouble with cheap bikes is that no matter what bits you put on them they remain cheap.
Here Alien seem to be upping their game considerably and you cann't knock them for that.

Take a look at the old GS11 take away the price of the kit and thats what the underlying bikes valued at, now try buying a quality bike for that money.

rustic

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2008
North Essex
Interesting, I really hope that they will continue to sell some form of Alien GSII as I really like the style of that range of bikes, the larger frame size really suits someone of my height. Have they made any kind of announcement about future Alien bikes?

sopht

Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2008
Seems their 36v road legal kits are not available either any more only 24v ones.

Jerry
They did have a note on the site apologising for the current lack of these, awaiting shipment, and which should have been due about now. Hopefully they'll reappear.

nitrambo

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 5, 2008
With the Acera rear mech and thumb shifters they are also raising the quality, still only 7 speed though, but do you need more on an e-bike?
I wouldnt regard Acera as particularly high end Shimano kit (like the XTR/XT ranges for example). You could probably upgrade a Gents Special 2 to similar kit levels as the new Alien/Synergie bike for less than £50 (even allowing for throwing the old bits away).

This means that you are paying approx. £350. for the joy of having an EN15194 certificate... IMHO thats a very expensive piece of paper.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
You missed the comments Flecc made about echange rates and the rise in battery prices. There may also be more cost associated with any loans necessary to secure stock plus the cost of having bikes sitting on wherehouse shelves. It may have also been necessary to build in some margin to cover the direct sales they now support via The Scottish E-Bike Center...