New and nervous

Staffordshirehills

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2014
Hello, Just wondered whether anyone has advice. I'm really interested in getting an electric bike for fun and also to use the car less. I've looked on the internet at the Kalkhoff and the cytronex and both seem quite expensive. I live in quite a hilly location and am used to push bikes of all shapes and sizes. My usual bike is an FX Trek women. Any ideas welcome. Also interested to see that cyclamatic do what appear to be very reasonably priced machines.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Go find a dealer that has lots of different electric bikes and try some,the market is so full of different models that you need to focus on a type and price. Autumn comes soon,the time of year when most cycle dealers clear last years models at reduced prices.
The Kalkhoff,Cytronex and Cyclamatic are about as far apart as it's possible to get in the e-bike world,without wishing to appear rude you are not yet focused on what suits you.
KudosDave

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Where about in the hills? I am in the ST10 area, if close to I could point you to some of the local dealers to try a variety of bikes.

KudosDave unwittingly got me to where I am today; take notice of the experts on here they're very helpful.

Staffordshirehills

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2014
Thanks KudosDave, I suppose I was hoping to get to grips with things before I went into a shop so that I knew what to believe and wasn't just impressed with lots of sales hype. Croxden, thanks for your help, I'm in ST8 and don't know of any dealers so all information gratefully received.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Welcome
If you described what you want to do, and your dream bike , how fit and fat you are with budget you had in mind then the advice will come in.
Listen to it then test ride as many as possible.
The perfect bike for a 70 year old with a knackered hip in wales is different to a 30 year old who wants to do 80 miles a day in Norwich.

Ps do you ware Lycra, it helps out on one question.

Staffordshirehills

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2014
Thanks D8ve, I'm 5'4 and can jog for a couple of miles and bike about 25 - 30 at a slow to steady pace as long as the ground isn't too hilly. I'm in my 40s and although Lycra with added padding is comfy it's not a sight for the faint hearted.

hoppy

May 25, 2010
Welcome
If you described what you want to do, and your dream bike , how fit and fat you are with budget you had in mind then the advice will come in.
Listen to it then test ride as many as possible.
The perfect bike for a 70 year old with a knackered hip in wales is different to a 30 year old who wants to do 80 miles a day in Norwich.

Ps do you ware Lycra, it helps out on one question.
Good morning,SH,and welcome to the forum. I think you are wise to do as much research as you can first. Look at websites of Kudos, Woosh, Freego, Powerpedals,Greenedge,and Electric Bike Magazine, for a start.Best wishes! Electric bikes are great fun!

Staffordshirehills

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2014
I would like the bike as a bit of a car replacement for journeys around home so a bit of speed may be helpful but they all look pretty quick to me

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
I would like the bike as a bit of a car replacement for journeys around home so a bit of speed may be helpful but they all look pretty quick to me
There are many differences between electric-assist bikes but before you get carried away by any advertising, forum advice or any other reason, there are certain fundamentals you need to understand.

1) Before any other consideration, set a maximum budget. I say that because it's easy to simply assume that you get what you pay for therefore dearer must be better. That's not true and a £2600 bike is not £2000 better than a £600 bike. Some very capable bikes can be had for nearer that lower figure.

Provided you only consider legally-compliant bikes and contrary to what I said in the opening sentence, there isn't really all that much of a difference in performance, particularly when you consider that they all cease to provide assistance around 15mph. Some are better hill-climbers than others but very few current machines are useless in that regard.

2) Bicycle weight: Think around (or less than) 20-23Kgs for a bike and ignore anything much over 25Kgs although there are a few, very few, exceptions. Light weight is a major plus on an EAPC.

3) Dealer proximity and support: Unless you are well versed in electronics and have experience in stripping bicycles to bits, the help of someone with intimate knowledge of your chosen steed is essential. If you have a dealer nearby who has been in business for a long time, with proper premises, then you could probably be a little flexible in points (1) and (2) above but with this caveat:

4) If you live in a house with no stairs to carry the bike up and you will never want to carry it on or in your car, the weight is of less importance. If, on the other hand, you might want to attach the machine to your car as so many regular cyclists do, then weight is of paramount importance. Although a tow bar and/or trailer can be utilised if you have a heavy bike, unless you already have one of those, it represents further additional expense.

Have fun discovering the world of EAPCs.

Tom

Staffordshirehills

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2014
Tom, thanks for your advice. I think it answers my next question! I have seen the following for sale - it's 4 years old and the battery is losing a little charge, otherwise it seems to be in good condition. I like my trek fx and this looks very similar - has anyone tried this model? "Ladies Ride+ Trek Electric Assist Bike, used less than a dozen times. Frame 15? 38cm. Upgraded Kevlar lined tyres (also comes with original tyres), lightweight mudguards, Bontrager water carrier, Lezyne pump, kick stand. Some scratches on main frame but generally excellent condition. With original owner?s manual and CD and all relevant documents. Cost with extras over £2000." I'm guessing I'd get more for my money with a newer steed and from a recognised dealer closer to.

axolotl

Pedelecer
May 8, 2014
The problem with buying second hand is the lack of warranty or dealer support (assuming you buy from a reputable dealer who offers good support). I wouldn't really recommend it for a first bike for the same reason that I wouldn't recommend conversion kits - unless you're fairly confident with the electrical and mechanical engineering side of things.

I think it would be helpful if, as well as considering budget, you also think about what range is necessary for the bike to be useful for you. For me, I needed a bike that would do at least 30 hilly miles or there would be no point. However, that's more than a lot of people would use and there's no point getting a bike that will do far more than you're ever going to need. And, of course, if your needs to grow, you can always upgrade the battery at a later date.

Just don't do what I did and rely on the advice of one dealer as far as range is concerned. I'm now stuck with a bike that's barely up to the task and only two months in I'm looking at forking out for a second battery, just to complete one of my main journeys without having to recharge halfway.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
axolotl, I thought you've got the BH with 13.5AH battery - are you saying that it could not do 30 hilly miles?

D

Deleted member 4366

Tom, thanks for your advice. I think it answers my next question! I have seen the following for sale - it's 4 years old and the battery is losing a little charge, otherwise it seems to be in good condition. I like my trek fx and this looks very similar - has anyone tried this model? "Ladies Ride+ Trek Electric Assist Bike, used less than a dozen times. Frame 15? 38cm. Upgraded Kevlar lined tyres (also comes with original tyres), lightweight mudguards, Bontrager water carrier, Lezyne pump, kick stand. Some scratches on main frame but generally excellent condition. With original owner?s manual and CD and all relevant documents. Cost with extras over £2000." I'm guessing I'd get more for my money with a newer steed and from a recognised dealer closer to.
The bike you mentioned is in Newport, S. Wales, but you live in Staffordshire? Trek use the Bionx electrical system. A replacement battery would be very, very expensive and problems with the electrical system are very difficult (expensive) to fix. I would keep well clear of that one. When buying second hand, it's much better to stick with a standard Chinese bike because any problems are easier and cheaper to sort out.

Where about in staffordshire are you?

axolotl

Pedelecer
May 8, 2014
axolotl, I thought you've got the BH with 13.5AH battery - are you saying that it could not do 30 hilly miles?
Well, the promised 13.5Ah battery never actually materialised. After waiting for weeks and being told repeatedly that it would be just a few more days, I ended up with a 12Ah battery which is apparently the biggest that Panasonic currently make now. This battery is practically dead after my 24 mile round trip to work, so I'm doubtful it will keep going on the 30 mile round trip to uni. The dealer has offered me an 8Ah battery at a discounted price but, to be honest, what I really wanted was a bike that would do the journeys I do on one charge.

You live and learn.

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
:(:(
I like my trek fx and this looks very similar - has anyone tried this model? "Ladies Ride+ Trek Electric Assist Bike
I think I've seen the bike to which you refer on Gumtrees and I think you'd really like it EXCEPT FOR......it comes with a BionX electrical set-up for the power assistance. Don't get me wrong, the BionX kit is powerful and I test-rode the Gents' model about 3-4 years ago when a local bike store was getting rid at knock-down prices.

The problem with them is the battery cost. BionX batteries are the most expensive I know of in the electric bike market so, off the top of my head, you'd need to add probably something of the order of £1000 on top of the price of the bike to fit a replacement battery. If the battery still has some life, perhaps enough for a 20 mile trip, you'd probably enjoy riding it but at some point, you'll need to replace that expensive battery.

Picking up Axolotl's point, any new EAPC from a reputable supplier will have a decent warranty, not only on the bike but also the electrics including the battery. You should then have peace of mind for at least a year, more in some cases.

While Trek make some nice bikes, they have never been popular in the UK electric bike market, almost certainly for the reason I mentioned. When you consider that a big percentage of forum members ride bikes which cost less to buy new than the price of a replacement BionX battery, you'll understand why that's the case.

You probably thought this bike business would be simple!:(

Tom

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Also Trek have discontinued the BionX powered models, switching to other makers motor systems, no doubt due to the problems others have covered.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Thanks D8ve, I'm 5'4 and can jog for a couple of miles and bike about 25 - 30 at a slow to steady pace as long as the ground isn't too hilly. I'm in my 40s and although Lycra with added padding is comfy it's not a sight for the faint hearted.
The Lycra question is more are you a cyclist, as you do 25+ miles on a normal bike then the feel of the bike is important to you and a crank drive with torque sensor will give you a natural but boosted feel to the ride.
Non Lycra suggests a hub drive with throttle for motor bike control?
As others have said. Light weight is important. And budget too.
A second hand BH/kalhoff with Panasonic drive will feel nice and natural to you. The batteries also last a long time too.
I suspect the new bikes will also feel good but can't advise as haven't owned one, or enough of a test drive

D

Deleted member 4366

Nice try D8ve, but no cigar. It's about the control system, not the type of motor. There's loads of hub-motors with torque sensors and torque control systems, and there's crank motors with speed control systems. I believe that Lycra wearers would prefer a torque control system. The type of motor isn't important, except that, for either control system, I believe that hub-motors are better.

axolotl

Pedelecer
May 8, 2014
Well, regardless of the relative merits of crank drive versus hub drive, I think we can agree that torque control systems "feel" a lot more natural for experienced cyclists. This is why I went for a Panasonic crank based bike.

That said, the more common speed control system with a throttle are ideal for lots of people. And the only way you'll know which is right for you is to try them both. Once you've done this, you'll be able to narrow down your choice of bikes considerably.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Dealers for you to have a look at.

Leek Cycle Solutions
Haywood Street
Leek
Staffordshire ST13 5JW

Tel: 0800 043 1966
E-Mail: Kevin@ezerider.com

http://www.ebikeshed.co.uk/ Leek Road, Stoke on Trent

http://www.electric-bike-conversions.co.uk/acatalog/Electric_Bike_Showroom.html In Fenton

I used to work in Biddulph Moor, a bit of a climb on a bike.

Test a few of each type, then think about it before making a decision.
It takes time, took me two years but I got what was the best for me in the end. Good luck.