New battery conditioning questions?

martin7010

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 11, 2010
Hi,
Thanks to everyone for their advice on getting started with an ebike. I’ve just got a Freego Kingfisher with a 10ah battery and picked it up new on Saturday. I probably covered about 10 miles on Saturday over mixed terrain using various levels of assist and even a couple of miles of throttle. On Sunday I went out again trying to run the battery flat, it did after five miles quite along way from my destination so I discovered the joys of unpowered riding on an ebike (hard work but not completely impossible). I basically got 15 miles out of my first charge (I’m about 13 stone) so my questions are
1) Is tihs a decent range from a first charge on a battery and will my range increase a bit as the battery becomes conditioned?
2) The indicator on my handlebars still had 3 lights on just before the battery died even though the lights on the battery itself had all gone out. Will the handle bar indicator now callibrate?
Thanks for all your help so far.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's a rather low range. Did you first fully charge the battery, they usually only have around half charge when new?

LED meters mounted in the battery case do reset to zero once the battery is emptied, but that isn't always the case with handlebar meters since they are sometimes wired in ways that don't give that result.

I'd say just fully charge and try again, you may find the range and metering much better then.

martin7010

Oct 11, 2010
Thanks Flecc,
The charge I started with was what was given to me in the shop so maybe it was only half charge. I'll be able to try again in a couple of days it's currently in a garge 7 miles away so I'll have to wait for a chance to go and collect!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Then I'm practically certain that will be the answer Martin, don't be surprised if you get nearer to 25 miles once recharged.

martin7010

Oct 11, 2010
Thanks, thats useful and reassuring to know. It did cross my mind I had a lemon for a battery but if I get 25 miles out of it that would be plenty enough, I only have a 9 mile round trip commute.