New battery for old Bike / old bloke !

roborobo

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 20, 2011
I'm thinking about resurrecting my old Alien Ocean Aurora and need to replace the battery but struggling to find a straight replacement (same connection.. etc plug and ride !) for the 36v 10aH lithium battery unit.

Any recommendations (links) greatly appreciated, or if you think its better and more economic/sensible to replace more parts (controller etc) with better/newer and more available parts then again any suggestions (links) would again be very appreciated.

I know things have moved on a lot and and maybe it might be best to dump the old thing and start again (seems a shame ) but it would be so nice if for a few hundred pounds it was possible to get out again, with some electric assistance up those hills :)

(apologies if this sort of question has been asked a hundred times already !)

roborobo

Feb 20, 2011
Wow... sorry just seen when I joined... 2011, so I think that might explain why my original battery might be a bit poorly
(in my mind it was only a few years ago, oh dear!)

Anyways thoughts best options ?
1. Try and replace the battery , plug/play and get going going again ?
2. Replace more parts with more generic & easily available parts ?
3. Dump forget and start again ?
4, If 3 = true, then any top recommendations ! (opens Pandora box ! )

D

Deleted member 4366

Chuck the battery and the rack. You can get any 36v battery you want and mount it where you want, so get a down-tube one. Take the controller out of the box at the front of your battery and put it in an under-saddle tool bag. Then you run the wires from the battery up to the controller. Your bike will be a million times better like that.

roborobo

Feb 20, 2011
Thanks for the prompt reply...
I will drag my bike from the shed tomorrow....

So the existing controller (behind the battery on the rack) which just takes a two wire input .... can be removed and put in "under-saddle tool bag" and then I just buy a generic "36v 10aH lithium battery unit" (e.g down tube) and connect (two wires) ?

Thanks for the help

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

Yes. Try and get a battery that can give at least 20A continuous (25A ideal) rather than a cheap one.

Reactions: Hamshanker

John Heaton

Just Joined
Jul 30, 2014
Thanks for the prompt reply...
I will drag my bike from the shed tomorrow....

So the existing controller (behind the battery on the rack) which just takes a two wire input .... can be removed and put in "under-saddle tool bag" and then I just buy a generic "36v 10aH lithium battery unit" (e.g down tube) and connect (two wires) ?

Thanks for the help

Hi roborobo,

I have the same bike with the same issue and was browsing the forum looking for the same information! Have you soursed a battery yet?

I'd be grateful if you could let me know if you've found a reputable supplier here in the UK if possible.

Cheers from another 'old bloke' :)