New bike advice

denwyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
It looks like one of our e-bikes is going to be very expensive to repair so I think I’ll sell it for spares and buy a replacment. I am looking at a Woosh Santana 3. My present bike has 6 speed derailleur gears with a smooth gear change, I had a Woosh gents bike about 6 years back, nice bike but awful gear change, impossible to change on hills or climbs without an awful crunching racket, you more or less had to change before you started to climb. Are the latest Woosh bikes still the same.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Are the latest Woosh bikes still the same.
If I remember correctly, you owned a Woosh Sport CD (second hand?) some 6 years ago.
Later crank drive bikes got gear sensor fitted.
Crank motors are always challenging with gear change, especially on hill because the chain is under high tension. If you fit a gear sensor, then the duration of the cutout is important. Too short, you still crunch the gear, too long, you loose momentum. Hub gears change faster but still suffer the same.
More recently, I have abandoned making cadence sensored crank drive bikes because even the gear sensor does not eliminate the problem with crunching the gears on hills completely. The Woosh Rambla uses a Bafang MaxDrive crank motor with torque sensor, so it's progress.
https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?rambla

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
More recently, I have abandoned making cadence sensored crank drive bikes because even the gear sensor does not eliminate the problem with crunching the gears on hills completely.
The gear sensor on my BBS01B converted 20" wheeled folding bike works perfectly to change gears uphill, except in the rain, and only on very steep inclines. Wet gear changes on the flat are perfect, dry steep hills are too. Might a BBS01B Rambletta be worth a shot/another shot?

Last edited:
Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Might a BBS01B Rambletta be worth a shot/another shot?
I can fit a BBS01 or TSDZ2 to the Rambletta but the Rambletta has already a pretty good torque, so lighter weight is more important. I may swap the current DWG07C for XF08C to save some 500g in the next run.

MelbournePark

Pedelecer
May 22, 2023
If it ain't broke don't fix it! Great it's been good. You likely also treat it well? They are certainly a very popular manufacturer piece of kit. .

Reactions: Brik

Brik

Pedelecer
May 11, 2023
West Midlands
If it ain't broke don't fix it! Great it's been good. You likely also treat it well? They are certainly a very popular manufacturer piece of kit. .
My derailleur is on a 20 year old Giant bike and was, I guess, fitted at the factory. It now has to cope with a mid drive motor and I must say the gear shift sensor works well to cut power, it rarely causes the chain to crunch...

Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
My derailleur is on a 20 year old Giant bike and was, I guess, fitted at the factory. It now has to cope with a mid drive motor and I must say the gear shift sensor works well to cut power, it rarely causes the chain to crunch...
Whew! I was starting to think I was the only one anywhere with a positive experience of the gear sensor.

Reactions: Brik

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Whew! I was starting to think I was the only one anywhere with a positive experience of the gear sensor.
Having the gear sensor with a BBS** is better than not having one, especially the more powerful motors; however, they don't guarantee that you won't smash your gears, and, like Woosh said, can be a problem on very steep hills. Everything has advantages and disadvantages.

If OP's main concern for their next ebike is to get super smooth gear changes, no crank-drive bike will be the solution, so what a gear sensor does is moot.