New Brompton & Nano Ordered: Front Fork Question

faphillips

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
London SE
I have ordered a new superlight Brompton (M2L X) and the Nano electric kit.

Assuming that the Nano motor/control box/throttle/wires will add c 2.8kg this should give me an all up weight of c 13.255 kg. That includes the luggage block and the heavier Schwalbe Marathon tyres but excludes the battery and bag which of course detach and are carried seperately. The Li Po battery weighs c 2.7kg.

I believe I could save a further 290 grams (10 oz) if I could get the titanium front forks opened out from 76mm to 100m to take the Nano motor but the Nano kit comes with steel forks. Does anyone know how easy it is to have the neccessary work done i.e. modifying titanium forks?

I am not sure if the Nano crew supply brand new, but wider, steel forks or whether they open up the standard forks (At times Simon and Tony are very slow to respond to email and have as yet not answered this question).

Any info in this respect wiould be much appreciated.

FAP

Manchego

Pedelecer
May 28, 2007
Oxfordshire
Sounds good - I certainly notice a big difference in weight between my standard Brompton L6 and the Nano-B L3. The titanium option should narrow the gap

As I recall, I think they get standard forks widened - presumably its possible to do the same to a standard titanium fork

john

Leonardo

Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2006
www.jobike.it
Simon Mills once answered me that I could have the fork in "any colour as long as it is … black!" - so I guess they provide new forks widened.

But please let us know if they find a way to widen your titanium one. It would be clever indeed.

I'm waiting for Mills' answer since a couple of weeks too.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Titanium can be difficult to work with. Possibly Brompton themselves would be interested in doing this, or providing an alternative wide titanium fork, given the publicity they've been getting from the Nano Brompton introduction.